Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Old Aug 6th 2011, 10:19 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The difference in house prices is astounding We had to check it out recently with a choice of projects in melb or brisbane. Partner wasnt fussed, but I fancied a change of going to melb.

The house we had sold 24klm from the bris CBD, beachfront, was just under a THIRD of the price we would have paid same distance/similar house position from Melbourne.

The summer weather is devil or deep blue sea to me, furnace days and flies or muggy pits neither appeal. Brisbane winter is the pick of any weather in OZ
I'm not sure why that comes as a I would guess a house in Glasgow would be a third of the price of London house at the same distance from the centre.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Mangoes are the fruit of the gods

Mango lassi
....but beetroot is certainly the devil's food......
Old Aug 6th 2011, 10:46 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icecube
....but beetroot is certainly the devil's food......
i don't fancy beetroot lassi that's for sure
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I'm not sure why that comes as a I would guess a house in Glasgow would be a third of the price of London house at the same distance from the centre.

Even if that were so ( some parts of scottish cities are pretty expensive anyway ) .

Besides I dont think life beachfront 23klms from melb cbd and life 23 klms from bris CBD would be different enough to warrant a price difference of treble.

After Sydney they are the second and third largest ( most populated ) areas and there are bits of either that score better/worse according to personal preference. Having lived in both there is no way I can see the huge disparity in property prices.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:53 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Even if that were so ( some parts of scottish cities are pretty expensive anyway ) .

Besides I dont think life beachfront 23klms from melb cbd and life 23 klms from bris CBD would be different enough to warrant a price difference of treble.

After Sydney they are the second and third largest ( most populated ) areas and there are bits of either that score better/worse according to personal preference. Having lived in both there is no way I can see the huge disparity in property prices.
There will always be qualitative difference in prices. The prices in one part of Melbourne 10kms from the CBD may be half the price of another place 10kms from the CBD. Such is life
Old Aug 7th 2011, 2:52 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I thought that was all either implicit or explicit in Alistair's post.
we all do it. Im sitting here in Tonga comparing it to Fiji, and comparing both to Kiribati. But i only have my perspective to go on. All have commonalities - coconut trees for instance, and the differences are subtle. Its all from my viewpoint. The guy sitting next to me had different experiences and so his views are different.

What I can say is all three have similar prices for groceries, and those prices are about on a par with Sydney. This is due NOT to high shipping cost,s but import duties - as high as 80% on some goods.

Even in paradise, there is some heartache.