Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:24 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS IT REALLY THAT BAD OUT THERE NOW THEN

Just got our latest quarterly electric bill. $270 - huge increase from last year!

That's with gas heating, gas hot water & gas for cooking!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:26 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed saffron has become expensive. It was $1240/kg in Woolies the other day.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
I've noticed saffron has become expensive. It was $1240/kg in Woolies the other day.
That's cheap then...I saw it Tesco Express last time I was over there for GBP6500/kg!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:30 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
That's cheap then...I saw it Tesco Express last time I was over there for GBP6500/kg!
70 quid for every 10g on Tesco website today!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:31 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yikes. Maybe I should start exporting it

Unless it was $12,400/kg
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Its a rip off here. In the UK with the recession prices are low. Just ordered loads of stuff off M&S - dirt cheap. 15 pound to ship here. Its more expensive to order off an oz website (if they have one). I like football. Its cheaper for me to subscribe to 442 in the UK and get it sent here than to buy the same magazine here. Mags here are $9 btw!! That says it all

Here Ozzies are used to paying top dollar for everything. They don't know any better. Coming from the UK I do know better and have found this difficult. Ask anyone who comes here on holiday - they all will say its horrendously expensive. The good thing is you earn more here and there is lots of work. So thats the upside. This is normal I suppose if one country is buoyant and the other is in recession. It doesn't take a degree in economics to tell you these things work in cycles. In 15 yrs it could be the other way around. But a lot of people here thing Oz is immune to a recession

As I have said a few times for people coming over multiple your UK wage by 3 and if you will earn that here you will have an equivalent standard of living. I seriously doubt anyone coming here now would be doing so for financial reasons. Its more for a better quality of life - food and weather is better.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
Its a rip off here. In the UK with the recession prices are low. Just ordered loads of stuff off M&S - dirt cheap. 15 pound to ship here. Its more expensive to order off an oz website (if they have one). I like football. Its cheaper for me to subscribe to 442 in the UK and get it sent here than to buy the same magazine here. Mags here are $9 btw!! That says it all

Here Ozzies are used to paying top dollar for everything. They don't know any better. Coming from the UK I do know better and have found this difficult. Ask anyone who comes here on holiday - they all will say its horrendously expensive. The good thing is you earn more here and there is lots of work. So thats the upside. This is normal I suppose if one country is buoyant and the other is in recession. It doesn't take a degree in economics to tell you these things work in cycles. In 15 yrs it could be the other way around. But a lot of people here thing Oz is immune to a recession

As I have said a few times for people coming over multiple your UK wage by 3 and if you will earn that here you will have an equivalent standard of living. I seriously doubt anyone coming here now would be doing so for financial reasons. Its more for a better quality of life - food and weather is better.
I've just done my first mail-order from M&S, soooo cheap, and so much better quality than the stuff here. I'm sat at work listening to girls moaning about how the suit they bought last week is falling apart, while I still have two from M&S that I bought 10 years back! Crazy......
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd

A rip off indeed.Coming from most places here is expensive. Just perhaps the message may be starting to get through with a decline in retail sales as it is only when folk keep their wallets in their pockets that the insanity may abate.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've just done my first mail-order from M&S, soooo cheap, and so much better quality than the stuff here. I'm sat at work listening to girls moaning about how the suit they bought last week is falling apart, while I still have two from M&S that I bought 10 years back! Crazy......
Quality sadly lacking in so many areas. Certainly declined over the years. The girls hopefully are going to return the faulty product?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:56 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Me too! Just ordered 300 quid worth of M&S goodies. Just a shame they don't send food and wine over here. Can't remember when I last bought anything other than food in Oz... All the Aussies we know are all over M&S online like a mad woman's dinner. The poor guys are used to the junk in Big W!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not the end but I can't see it lasting much longer than the medium term in it's present form. The UK can no longer afford it as it stands but the current government is not prepared to make the hard choices to change it. The opposition is not prepared to either.
It'll be a very brave government that takes on the NHS. Thatcher thought about it, but it does appear quite sacred to the average Britisher and if messed around with will result in great peril to the sitting government.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Me too! Just ordered 300 quid worth of M&S goodies. Just a shame they don't send food and wine over here. Can't remember when I last bought anything other than food in Oz... All the Aussies we know are all over M&S online like a mad woman's dinner. The poor guys are used to the junk in Big W!
Never yet done it more fool me but agree only way to travel.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Nice one. Expect it soon. Only takes 3-4 days!!!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:40 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Australians aren't used to get ripping off it's more that money isn't a problem. Many Australians live in million dollar homes whilst in Britain it's a small minority.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
A rip off indeed.Coming from most places here is expensive. Just perhaps the message may be starting to get through with a decline in retail sales as it is only when folk keep their wallets in their pockets that the insanity may abate.
The message appears to be getting through, and has for some time. Noone I know pays top dollar anywhere unless they want a top dollar experience if you know what I mean...I can only guess the average Aussie doesn't know any better.

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Quality sadly lacking in so many areas. Certainly declined over the years. The girls hopefully are going to return the faulty product?
What annoys me is the way manufacturing has gone to China - in this case, the 'Chinese don't know any better'. There has been a marked decline this last 10 years. I was looking at higher end stuff in Melbourne, and even the 'high-quality' Italian (the 'Italians know how to do it!') stuff was poor quality.

In London you need to pay over a grand, and about 2-3+ in Australia to get something good resembing a suit. There are some good independents here in Melbourne.

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Not much choice in FNQ...M&S is dreadfully middle-class though..sorry tis true. You'd have to be desperate...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.