Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it really that bad?

Is it really that bad?

Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all
Default Is it really that bad?

Just curious to know how many people are liking their new lives in Australia.

We currently live in Italy with our 2 young kids, and my husband is in the process of dicussing a new contract (IT) job opportunity in Sydney.

We've lived in Australia before (7 years ago, in Melbourne), liked life there and thought after travelling more it would be a great place to live in, or even settle down in, with kids.

However, I'm half Italian and have also always toyed with Italy. It's fabulous for kids, even though there aren't many things to do with them, and they are accepted everywhere!

On the other hand, though, the dreamy, olive-picking, wine-drinking, 24/7 relaxing in the sun days don't really exist. We're all a bit depressed as my OH never sees the kids anymore, work-wise and ambition-wise the future's not that shiny, and wages are amongst the lowest in Europe.

However on the Italy forum most people don't moan as much as on the Australia forum even though the financial problems are huge here (and we haven't even started a recession yet...), people are incredibly broke, and the government under Berlusconi is as corrupt as ever!

In Australia, are a lot of people suffering from whinging-pom-itis or is it really as bad as most of you make out?!!

I know that some people should have probably bought clear, long-sighted lenses instead of rose-tinted specs before landing down-under (as we probably should have done before fulfilling our Italian dream!), and that some have trouble coming to grip with the fact that the recession, rising prices of oil, working hours etc do also affect the Southern Hemisphere, but after realising all those things is Oz really that pants?!

Just an observation... don't want to get hugely slated but would love to hear from some people that actually like, even love, life in Oz!!!! It won't change our mind as we're only going if the money's good (oh, so greedy!!) as we know Sydney is more expensive than New York!

Anyway, before everyone screams at me, I don't mean to offend, and am just curious...

Last edited by Emmis; Aug 21st 2008 at 12:03 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is it really that bad?

Now if ever there was a how long is a piece of string question - yours is it!

You will probably get a lot of answers most of them polarised between "yes, we love it, sitting outside sipping wine all the time" and those that hate it "long way from home, miss my friends etc."

My suggestion (and perhaps a way to get a better answer) is to make a list of the top five things that are important to you and the top five things that irritate the hell out of you. That will give people a bit of context against which to comment.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmis
However on the Italy forum most people don't moan as much as on the Australia forum even though the financial problems are huge here (and we haven't even started a recession yet...), people are incredibly broke, and the government under Berlusconi is as corrupt as ever!
This is about demographics, not Australia or Italy. Specifically in terms of the British, a lot of tradesmen, etc., go to Australia, while Italy would generally attract professionals. I think this explains the difference. And the less educated and/or travelled you are, the more likely you are to find problems with your new location.

Also, I add in edit that many of the tradesmen get to Australia and realise that they can't charge the outrageous sums they have been getting away with in the UK, yet housing costs are the same, so they are often much poorer. This doesn't help.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Emmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to allEmmis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinH
Now if ever there was a how long is a piece of string question - yours is it!

You will probably get a lot of answers most of them polarised between "yes, we love it, sitting outside sipping wine all the time" and those that hate it "long way from home, miss my friends etc."

My suggestion (and perhaps a way to get a better answer) is to make a list of the top five things that are important to you and the top five things that irritate the hell out of you. That will give people a bit of context against which to comment.
Ha Ha!! At least you made me laugh!!

...So, how long is it?!

Cheers for the reply anyway!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I love my life here. Don't live in Sydney though
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

...So, how long is it?!

I will add that my previous post is a generalisation, which contrary to popular opinion can be a good thing to get a basic understanding. Not every last carpenter and gas fitter in Australia is unhappy. In fact, my reading of these forums over the years has shown me it is more often than not the wives of these people who are the unhappiest.

You have already lived in Australia, so you already have a good idea of what to expect.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Life's what YOU make it

Do I like Australia? find out here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556569
Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I love some aspects of my life here and dislike others. We had a good life before moving to Australia and have an equally good one here. I think so long as people keep in perspective that Australia is no utopian society and that they will probably have to work just as hard as they did before they will probably adapt just fine. It's the ones who think that emigrating will solve all of life's prolems that tend to run into trouble.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a suggestion for the difference.

Most Brit migrants go to Italy expecting it to be different. They tolerate the difference (especially the bureaucracy).

A lot of Brit migrants come to Aus expecting it to be similar. They find it hard to tolerate the differences (especially the bureaucracy).

I love it here. Have no (extra) problems here. Life's good.

PS: I liked the short time that I lived in France but I couldn't get used to the minor corruption that the French seem to accept as normal (and a gallic shrug).
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

roxyinitalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Just curious to know how many people are liking their new lives in Australia.

We currently live in Italy with our 2 young kids, and my husband is in the process of dicussing a new contract (IT) job opportunity in Sydney.

We've lived in Australia before (7 years ago, in Melbourne), liked life there and thought after travelling more it would be a great place to live in, or even settle down in, with kids.

However, I'm half Italian and have also always toyed with Italy. It's fabulous for kids, even though there aren't many things to do with them, and they are accepted everywhere!

On the other hand, though, the dreamy, olive-picking, wine-drinking, 24/7 relaxing in the sun days don't really exist. We're all a bit depressed as my OH never sees the kids anymore, work-wise and ambition-wise the future's not that shiny, and wages are amongst the lowest in Europe.

In Australia, are a lot of people suffering from whinging-pom-itis or is it really as bad as most of you make out?!!

I know that some people should have probably bought clear, long-sighted lenses instead of rose-tinted specs before landing down-under (as we probably should have done before fulfilling our Italian dream!), and that some have trouble coming to grip with the fact that the recession, rising prices of oil, working hours etc do also affect the Southern Hemisphere, but after realising all those things is Oz really that pants?!

Just an observation... don't want to get hugely slated but would love to hear from some people that actually like, even love, life in Oz!!!! It won't change our mind as we're only going if the money's good (oh, so greedy!!) as we know Sydney is more expensive than New York!

Anyway, before everyone screams at me, I don't mean to offend, and am just curious...

Where in Italy are you? My husband (Italian) and myself (Canadian) are moving to Australia in 10 days. I love it here in Italy and he hates it, go figure, so we have decided to try out Australia for a little bit. We live in Padova.

As for the moaning, I think it happens in every country. I was a moaner when I was living in Canada but not so much a moaner her in Italy
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:54 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by roxyinitalia
Where in Italy are you? My husband (Italian) and myself (Canadian) are moving to Australia in 10 days. I love it here in Italy and he hates it, go figure, so we have decided to try out Australia for a little bit. We live in Padova.

As for the moaning, I think it happens in every country. I was a moaner when I was living in Canada but not so much a moaner her in Italy
Hi Roxy,

I just noticed that you're moving to Brisbane and are Canadian. Have you figured out where you're settling yet? I'm on the East side in the Bayside suburbs.

I see your husband is Italian so I guess there's not much point in mentioned that there are hockey rinks here!

Good luck with the move.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

...So, how long is it?!

Well........its quite long actually

It would take me a VERY long time to explain all the things that I personally don't like about Australia. But it is a personal thing. Happy to PM you if you want more details.

Good things? Well the sun shines more often.

Although I am originally from the UK, I haven't lived there for almost 10 years and before we came here we had lived in continental Europe.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

grevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of lightgrevillia is a glorious beacon of light

Buongiorno!

Can I recommend that you come back to Melbourne & settle somewhere in Carlton? Then you'll get the best of Australia with a strong Italian influence as well - best of both worlds?!

Having lived in Milano, Sydney & Melbourne, my personal opinion is that Melbourne has a more 'European' feel to it, whereas Sydney seemed a bit more 'US-influenced'.

It all depends on what you like doing. There's heaps for kids to do in both Melb & Syd. Also, I can relate to your stress from living in Italy; I found the bureaucracy there totally mindblowing!

Good luck with your move.

Ciao!
G.

PS: to answer your question, I've been very happy living in Italy & Australia. Both places have lots of different good things to offer (and their share of disadvantages too). I marginally preferred Melb over Syd because it felt more 'European'.

Last edited by grevillia; Aug 21st 2008 at 11:22 pm. Reason: to add PS
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:53 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grevillia
Can I recommend that you come back to Melbourne & settle somewhere in Carlton? Then you'll get the best of Australia with a strong Italian influence as well - best of both worlds?!
Alternatively, in Sydney Leichhardt is the Italian capital.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:14 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Don't forget that most of us happy people don't tend to post much once we are settled here so you don't get an accurate view from BE - and I guess more people come here than Italy which is why you get more whingers on the Australian forum, also it's a bit more difficult to go back from here than from Italy.

We are very happy here, but it has been a shock to see how the cost of living has gone up over the last 5 years and Sydney is very expensive so make sure the money is good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.