Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it really that bad?????

Is it really that bad?????

Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is it really that bad?????

Originally Posted by chels
I've found that what looks like it's a bargain seldom is - there's usually a reason why a house is so much cheaper than others in the same area, and usually it's either the location or its condition. Photographs can never be a sustitute for viewing something close up, REA's know all the tricks when it comes to making something look its best despite limitations, and a good property stylist can fill the house with lovely furniture that looks great in the photos.
I think that is the case everywhere - but if that's what you can afford, that's what you can afford.

When I'm a bit bored I like to have a look, but it's always with a healthy does of cynicism - mind you, we've a history of buying sheds to do up
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SAJ
We used to earn a decent income in the UK, but had loads of debt, mortgage, car loans etc, and worked long hours.

Now we live in rural NSW - 2 years ago bought a nice 4 bedroom house for $100k in a great community and have no debt. Although there is plenty of work around the area, we choose not to work much and live comfortably on about $15k per year. It's a million miles away from our old life. We grow veggies and hubby brews his own beer (costs about 50 cents per litre and surprisingly tastes great ).

There's a lot to be said for rural living while you find your feet in a new country. By the way, when I say we're rural, the town is small but we're only 40 minutes drive from the nearest city/3.5 hours drive from the coast.

Wow S,

GOOD FOR YOU GUYS!!
I'd love to do that too.

Kind regards,
Vegemite.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
I find my fuel bills a lot less because in Sunny Qld we don't need heating in the winter. A small fan heater is fine for the odd nippy night. Air con is used sparingly so we worked out we are using $100 per month fuel (gas and electric) and in the UK 2 years ago were paying about 60 or 70 GBP. If you were to move to somewhere like Melbourne or Tassie I would imagine your fuel bills would be higher. Just something to bear in mind.
Sue, good point!

Also keep in mind that the Queensland government subsidizes fuel in Queensland - that's why fuel in Queensland is a bit cheaper too!

Vegemite
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:39 am
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

Originally Posted by tyke
Kelly.

You haven't said which area of Australia you are intending to settle in.

South Australia is still affordable to a certain degree.The property is cheaper here.So wages will go a little further.

How's sunny Leeds??

Not missing it myself
Probably around Brisbane, not in the city but in commuting distance as this is where our links are but not totally decided yet. were going out in oct and doing Sydney, Brisbane (to get a generall feel for the places ) and the sunshine and gold coasts, (for a bit of a holiday touristy stuff)

Sunny leeds is crap!! Although the weather is being kind for this time of year everything else is the same the latest is the council are on about starting to charge us to take away our rubbish...errrrr thought we already paid for this??? were does my £105 a month council tax go then??
What part of leeds did you come from?

I think anyone who can live on £22K in the UK with four children and manage to pay bills and still have a live can do anything. That is award worthy imo.
I totally agree!! We only have two kids

I find my fuel bills a lot less because in Sunny Qld we don't need heating in the winter. A small fan heater is fine for the odd nippy night. Air con is used sparingly so we worked out we are using $100 per month fuel (gas and electric) and in the UK 2 years ago were paying about 60 or 70 GBP. If you were to move to somewhere like Melbourne or Tassie I would imagine your fuel bills would be higher. Just something to bear in mind.
Thats good to know, in the last six months alone we've had £600 of gas bills!!! (and no there is nothing wrong with the meter, i dont have it on constantly and the house is well insulated and its not even estimated!! )

Not to even mention the leccy on top!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

We've got an electric oven etc. and our gas bills are still horrendous and we're a terrace, it's not on constantly, etc.) gas prices are really high atm.

Originally Posted by kellylmc
Thats good to know, in the last six months alone we've had £600 of gas bills!!! (and no there is nothing wrong with the meter, i dont have it on constantly and the house is well insulated and its not even estimated!! )

Not to even mention the leccy on top!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:54 am
Aussie wannabe!!

LoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really niceLoobyLoo! is just really nice

Originally Posted by dottyspots
We've got an electric oven etc. and our gas bills are still horrendous and we're a terrace, it's not on constantly, etc.) gas prices are really high atm.
You can say that again!! But if i got a quid for every stupid salesman that knocked on the door telling me theyre company is lowering the prices soon i'd have enough to pay the bill in the first place!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

They normally call here when I'm in the middle of cooking dinner and my 3 year old is trying to help herself and the 16month old is trying to climb on the dining room table (his new obsession) and the older ones are bickering and what I really, really do not want is someone knocking my door.

What's the door-to-door salesperson probability around Aus? And for that matter, sales calls (again, always when I'm in the bath, just going out, changing a nappy etc. - I don't know how they manage, but every bloody time).
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dottyspots
They normally call here when I'm in the middle of cooking dinner and my 3 year old is trying to help herself and the 16month old is trying to climb on the dining room table (his new obsession) and the older ones are bickering and what I really, really do not want is someone knocking my door.

What's the door-to-door salesperson probability around Aus? And for that matter, sales calls (again, always when I'm in the bath, just going out, changing a nappy etc. - I don't know how they manage, but every bloody time).

Oh you get them here too. I'd only been in our new house for 4 hours and I had one trying to sell me the cheapest Gas and Electric in South Australia.

As for the phone call, well put it this way, sometimes I'm glad I have dialup internet You can pay for your number to be 'silent' though (not advertised), costs $2 a month I think.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:08 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

I just ask them to hang on a mo whilst i put the stair gate on/ turn the oven down/get my husband etc then just leave the phone off the hook!! Sometimes my baby will grab it a drible a few babbles down the line! After a cou[ple of mins they tend to hang up!
Anothwer one is just to press the buttons loads as its really noisy down the other end (not to mention irratating) and they have headsets on!

I know i'm cruel, i have 3 friends that work in call centres and they think i'm just awful!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I just ask them to hang on a mo whilst i put the stair gate on/ turn the oven down/get my husband etc then just leave the phone off the hook!! Sometimes my baby will grab it a drible a few babbles down the line! After a cou[ple of mins they tend to hang up!
Anothwer one is just to press the buttons loads as its really noisy down the other end (not to mention irratating) and they have headsets on!

I know i'm cruel, i have 3 friends that work in call centres and they think i'm just awful!

Glad it's not just me then
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:19 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
One thing to take into account is that many people have found houses to be much more expensive that they expected (despite internet research) but that may depend on the area you want to go to.
G
This is puzzling, and a bit troubling...

How would an internet site, ostensibly for Aussies, not be accurate? I put my house on the market in the UK and the price was accurate!

Are Aussie real estate websites well dodgy then?
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:19 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Why not give the anti-telemarketing script a go ... turn the tables ...

http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/counterscript.html

Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hutch

Quality. Think I may have to be offline tomorrow
Old Apr 26th 2007, 2:45 pm
Aussie wannabe!!

Originally Posted by Hutch

my ridiculous computer wont let me read it!
Maybe it works undercover for british gas hmmmmmm??
Old Apr 26th 2007, 2:49 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

my ridiculous computer wont let me read it!
Maybe it works undercover for british gas hmmmmmm??

Try the PDF version ... http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/english/counterscript.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.