Reality check

Old Nov 30th 2004, 3:24 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reality check

Hi all,

Hubbie handed his notice in today. Made the move seem much more real than even buying the flights did. I know that there have been a couple of threads of late that deal with the fear side of things, but most of the replies have been along the lines of 'it's making the dream come true'.

It's just that in our case, there's no great plan or dream. We want to move to Australia for a couple of years just to try it out. We want to go to try living somewhere else, with a different culture, and experience all the great and unpleasant things that it entails. I'm not sure whether we will end up staying permanently at all.

I’m just beginning to have some serious doubts that this is a good idea after all … Although I expect that’s normal at this stage (11 and a half weeks to go). So I suppose I’m wondering whether there’s anyone else out there who’s going to Australia for similar reasons. And how you’re dealing with the stress that this adds to the move – because we can’t even fall back on thinking that we’re doing it for a better quality of life etc.

Any thoughts?

GG
Old Nov 30th 2004, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reality check

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Hi all,

Hubbie handed his notice in today. Made the move seem much more real than even buying the flights did. I know that there have been a couple of threads of late that deal with the fear side of things, but most of the replies have been along the lines of 'it's making the dream come true'.

It's just that in our case, there's no great plan or dream. We want to move to Australia for a couple of years just to try it out. We want to go to try living somewhere else, with a different culture, and experience all the great and unpleasant things that it entails. I'm not sure whether we will end up staying permanently at all.

I’m just beginning to have some serious doubts that this is a good idea after all … Although I expect that’s normal at this stage (11 and a half weeks to go). So I suppose I’m wondering whether there’s anyone else out there who’s going to Australia for similar reasons. And how you’re dealing with the stress that this adds to the move – because we can’t even fall back on thinking that we’re doing it for a better quality of life etc.

Any thoughts?

GG
Go on, go on, go on, go on with ya

And stop reading negative posts, it's gonna be great!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

George,

I think you have the best attitude - just try and go check it out... no big expectations and i am sure you will enjoy this fantastic experience...

no need to stress, just go and see...

all the best, fabie
Old Nov 30th 2004, 3:52 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Any thoughts?

GG

I know exactly what you mean about reading the negative posts and those that are desperate to come back and we are still at the beginning so if youv'e had doubts like we have, and with not long to go, I can understand your stress.

We have decided that we still want to go for it - like you we are going to give it a chance but have made the decision to rent our house here instead of selling.

Remember your excitement and the positives, if you have got this far then go for it, I know it hasnt worked out for some but there are more people out there that have settled and would never come back - you don't know until you try ................ Good Luck I'm sure everyone goes through it

Sel x
Old Nov 30th 2004, 3:52 pm
Cheeky

Hi GG,

Awww dont worry chuck....

Like you say, try it out, you never know unless you try.

Hey DM I was gonna do the go on, go on, go ons!! Tell him GG!!

Seriously though I wear huge, big, (pink) rosy glasses. And I know at some point the whole Oz thing is gonna smack me full in the face and I am gonna wonder what the hells hit me. But for now Im going with it and enjoying every minute. We want to 'try' something different and have to do it now cos I dont want to spend the rest of my life wondering what if....

Take the opportunity guys....go on, go on, go on...(sorry! )

Good Luck!
Cheeky
xx

Old Nov 30th 2004, 4:02 pm
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Is it Father Ted Day today?
Old Nov 30th 2004, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beegee
Yup!
Attached Images  
Old Nov 30th 2004, 4:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beegee
Hic!

G
Old Nov 30th 2004, 4:14 pm
Cheeky

G and Dm!!

Have you been in the expats pub all afternoon?? Tut, tut!!

Cheeky

Originally Posted by Grayling
Hic!

G

Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:07 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhhhhh, thank you everyone! It has helped - feeling a bit more positive again. And that knotted stomach feeling has finally gone for the first time in days.

Cheers
GG
Old Nov 30th 2004, 5:30 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hi GG

I am starting to feel the sameway.....now its all real, i have spent so much time planning it and talking about it,i dont know what i am doing now, and i am wondering why i am doing it think its when you have to start sorting your stuff out here, it makes it to real and scarey....

You will be fine, have you got everything all sorted re your house, i dont know where to start?

goodluck

laura
xx
Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:05 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Hi Laura,

Think this is probably part of the problem - lack of control. We're planning on moving to Sydney, but beyond that? No, we have no idea where we're going. It's difficult knowing where to start. We don't know areas of Sydney too well and aren't really fussed to a certain degree. There's not even a job to help focus the search. So we're just going to head off into the sunset and hope it all comes together ...! (Well, it's nearly a plan!)

At this end, happily, we rent so there's no house to sell or anything. We're going to ship in January, just before the lease runs out and a couple of weeks before we fly out. And then we have the joy of living in a B&B for four days a week in Oxford and then heading to parents in Sheffield at weekends. We've had a few shipping quotes and that part seems under control. But I'm the kinda person that throws something out if it's not been used in six months, so there's not a lot of junk to sort through.

Good luck with Mellie and all!

GG

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hi GG

I am starting to feel the sameway.....now its all real, i have spent so much time planning it and talking about it,i dont know what i am doing now, and i am wondering why i am doing it think its when you have to start sorting your stuff out here, it makes it to real and scarey....

You will be fine, have you got everything all sorted re your house, i dont know where to start?

goodluck

laura
xx
Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts?

GG
Hi GG
We went to Australia for exactly the same reasons as you - no intentions to stay forever - just 2 years initially - but if we ended up staying 10 years, 50 years, etc, so be it. We just wanted to go 'because we could'; we wanted adventure, a chance to work/travel/live overseas before we settled down to have a family. We didn't have any expectations, we didn't expect paradise or an easier life.

I started to get cold feet close to our departure date...intertwined with the excitement and anticipation. I was in floods of tears at the airport, convinced I didn't want to go - but really, nothing would have stopped me.

I think it's only natural to worry - it's a huge step and you don't really know what you are going to find, what emotions you are going to experience, the highs and the lows you are about to face. But that's part of the adventure - not putting any pressure on yourself to stay forever is surely a good thing - you can just relax and enjoy Australia for what it is without thinking that you HAVE to love it.

Hope you have a great time - I'm sure you will as you sound ready to accept what comes - be it good or bad! Good luck

HP
p.s. we didn't sell up in UK either - we came back last Christmas after a fabulous 18 months in Oz (too short really to come to any conclusions about where we want to spend our future, but bub came along earlier than was in the masterplan and we decided to have her in the UK! Have PR till 2007 tho so a couple of years to decide.)
Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:38 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Hi HP,

Wise words! It's reassuring to know that there are people with similar thoughts/intentions and that it worked out OK for you. You've described exactly what I've been going through for the past couple of days and it's good to know that such self-doubt is natural and not just me! Still, the positive feeling's coming back and I'm planning on cracking a smile again at some point this week.

Cheers,
GG

[QUOTE=HiddenPaw]
I started to get cold feet close to our departure date...intertwined with the excitement and anticipation. I was in floods of tears at the airport, convinced I didn't want to go - but really, nothing would have stopped me.

I think it's only natural to worry - it's a huge step and you don't really know what you are going to find, what emotions you are going to experience, the highs and the lows you are about to face. But that's part of the adventure - not putting any pressure on yourself to stay forever is surely a good thing - you can just relax and enjoy Australia for what it is without thinking that you HAVE to love it.

Last edited by Geordie George; Nov 30th 2004 at 6:39 pm. Reason: Can't spell!
Old Nov 30th 2004, 6:54 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Any thoughts?

GG
I think if you weren't worried then you'd have a problem, because reality would probably smack you in the face when you got there.

It's perfectly normal to have worries and doubts. Use this forum as a sounding board whenever you want......lots of folks here can offer words of wisdom, consolation, and of course support. We'll help you get through it!

So, go on, go on, go on, go on, GO ON!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.