British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Real price of Food (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/real-price-food-639911/)

ABCDiamond Nov 11th 2009 12:19 am

Re: The Real price of Food

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 8088786)
A week or so back I priced up tons of items in UK, so heres my real price of food thread:D which goes to prove it depends which few items you pick;)

4.5 kg turkey UK 9.99 OZ 54.99

1kg brussel sprouts UK .98 OZ 12.99

6 mince pies UK .59 OZ 2.99

6 fruit slices uk .59 OZ 5.99

And where you buy them....
  1. Tesco: OL Butter Basted Boneless Turkey Breast Joint 600g £3.98
  2. Woolworths: Woolworths Turkey Breast Portion Oven Roast 640g $11.65
  • Tesco: Brussel Sprouts Loose £1.49 kg
  • Woolworths: Brussels Sprouts $9.96/kg

But then not many of the above are very common in Australia, so it's difficult to find many prices.

Commonly bought staple items are better for comparison, in my view.

How about chicken ? Much more common than turkey.

Skinless chicken breasts
Local shop: $7.99 kg
Woolworths: $9.96 kg
Tesco: £6.74 kg (OL Budget Skinless Chicken Breast Fillets 890g £6.00)

Or Rump Steak ?
Australia
$5.99 kg Budget Rump Steak
$9.99 kg MSA grade rump Steak

UK ?

kporte Nov 11th 2009 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8088823)
How can you protect a turkey? It's people food!

So I've got the green light? Good!

ABCDiamond Nov 11th 2009 12:27 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 8088802)
I have never, EVER seen onions for 29c a kilo...not even close to that! Supermarket, small shop, side of the road....where have I missed?

Victoria Point Fruit Shop, next to Pattons Butchers.
They also sell
2 litres milk for $1.79 everyday prices
24 large eggs for $4.00
Watermelon 29c Kg
Large Mangoes (big ones) $1.33 each

Page 10 on this weeks Bayside Bulletin, if anyone wants to check :thumbup:

kporte Nov 11th 2009 12:27 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8088826)

But then not many of the above are very common in Australia, so it's difficult to find many prices.

Skinless chicken breasts

Or Rump Steak ?
Australia

UK ?

Findlays in Edinburgh do rump for 5.24, fillet for 12.50. Not really worth mentioning the supermarket steak price as I'd never buy it there.

jad n rich Nov 11th 2009 12:33 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8088826)

Skinless chicken breasts

Or Rump Steak ?
Australia

UK ?

Ive only got 2 weeks and 4 days left ... till my trip to the UK:D, how about I put you in my baggage and let you wild in tesco, asda, nettos, nutters whatever and you could walk about with a sandwich board telling the uk's frenzied shoppers that if they moved to australia they could buy rump steak for 5.99 a kilo ( WTH is that anyway, probably the onion shop:D ) and get chook breasts bigger than jordans implants:blink: Then we contact Tracy Grimshaw or Ray the wig and report our findings.:D

B'vegas airport sunday 29th your on:thumbup::lol:

ABCDiamond Nov 11th 2009 12:37 am

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8088842)
Findlays in Edinburgh do rump for 5.24, fillet for 12.50. Not really worth mentioning the supermarket steak price as I'd never buy it there.

No one should ever mention supermarket prices for meat, especially here in Australia :lol:

Oh why not, for a laugh.

Woolworths budget Beef Rump $24.00 kg
compared to
My local butchers budget Beef Rump $5.99 kg

WillBlack Nov 11th 2009 12:37 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 8088786)
A week or so back I priced up tons of items in UK, so heres my real price of food thread:D which goes to prove it depends which few items you pick;)

4.5 kg turkey UK 9.99 OZ 54.99

1kg brussel sprouts UK .98 OZ 12.99

In my Woolies, I noticed plastic shrink wrapped frozen turkeys carcasses in the freezer, which I think is unusual in itself and possibly due to rapidly approaching Christmas. I also noticed the price as being lala (>$10 / kg) as was the frozen duck. I don't like turkey or duck so my interest passed extra quickly.

I did buy a frozen chook of 1.8 kg and paid $8.05 for it. I thought it a little pricier than usual.
Woolies $4.47 / kg. Tesco: £2.99 / 1.5 kg * $1.80 = $3.59 / kg.

Of those items only the duck and smaller chooks are on Woolworths web site.

Brussel sprouts are about $2.50 / kg in the southern winter.

ABCDiamond Nov 11th 2009 12:45 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 8088848)
and get chook breasts bigger than jordans implants:blink:

are they really ?

I think you miss the point, in my first post I did say this:

Tescos Total £20.97

The same at Woolworths, again using OL (which I assume is own line or own brand) except for Peas which are McCain, to compete with Birds Eye, came to $45.08.

An FX rate of 2.15 would mean they would be the same cost.
What would be the point of me doing what you say, when overall the supermarkets, on that list so far, are 'about' the same cost.....

You have selectively picked unusual items, and prices, to prove that the UK is cheaper, and on those items it is, although where you got your prices from is a puzzle ?

jad n rich Nov 11th 2009 12:56 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8088866)
are they really ?

I think you miss the point, in my first post I did say this:

What would be the point of me doing what you say, when overall the supermarkets, on that list so far, are 'about' the same cost.....

You have selectively picked unusual items, and prices, to prove that the UK is cheaper, and on those items it is, although where you got your prices from is a puzzle ?

Turkey and sprouts and fruit cake are unusual items in Australia :unsure: really, did you misread it as dingoes dongas, and seasoned bush turkey balls:lol:

You need to be careful you will have people thinking australian supermarkets are crap, and dont sell normal stuff.

The weird and wonderful places I priced the christmas basics were Tesco and asda.

As for selective stats if you read my post it points out just the very point, and you of all people should know about selective stats:blink:

kporte Nov 11th 2009 1:03 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 8088880)
Turkey and sprouts and fruit cake are unusual items in Australia :unsure: really, did you misread it as dingoes dongas, and seasoned bush turkey balls:lol:

You need to be careful you will have people thinking australian supermarkets are crap, and dont sell normal stuff.

The weird and wonderful places I priced the christmas basics were Tesco and asda.

As for selective stats if you read my post it points out just the very point, and you of all people should know about selective stats:blink:

I have been here 2.5 years and never eaten turkey, sprouts or mince pies tbh
Won't be rushing out to get any either:D

Amazulu Nov 11th 2009 1:10 am

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8088891)
I have been here 2.5 years and never eaten turkey, sprouts or mince pies tbh
Won't be rushing out to get any either:D

I did a turkey on the bbq last christmas - very nice it was too.

ABCDiamond Nov 11th 2009 1:20 am

Where are you seeing dingoes ?? :blink:
I was selecting basic standard everyday foods, not like you, selectively finding things that have massive price differences just for the sheer sake of trying to prove one country is much cheaper than the other.

Turkey and Brussels sprouts are not normal Australian everyday summer foods, as well you know.

Anyway Australian supermarkets aren't that good ! Didn't you realise that ?
The smaller shops are much better.

And the Australian prices ?

Now I see you are talking about Christmas goods, not everyday goods.... :rolleyes:

jad n rich Nov 11th 2009 1:38 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8088918)
Where are you seeing dingoes ?? :blink:
I was selecting basic standard everyday foods, not like you, selectively finding things that have massive price differences just for the sheer sake of trying to prove one country is much cheaper than the other.

Turkey and Brussels sprouts are not normal Australian everyday summer foods, as well you know.

Anyway Australian supermarkets aren't that good ! Didn't you realise that ?
The smaller shops are much better.

And the Australian prices ?

Now I see you are talking about Christmas goods, not everyday goods.... :rolleyes:

OK, jada accepts that ONLY ABCdiamond can post HIS findings. :rolleyes:

I also accept if I want to price up a what is a typical christmas dinner in OZ or UK I must price up australian summer foods:rolleyes: as defined by ABCdiamond.

I will do 500 lines reminding myself that only you can post and what stats you pick;), are correct at all times;).

BTW most of the points you are wafflin on about above are in my first post.

Happy now, I accept I cant post my point of view, I guess thats OK as you must own the fourm:rolleyes:

WillBlack Nov 11th 2009 2:03 am

It is the "Price of Turkeys" season in Britain, the heat is being turned up and the race is on:

25th November 2008
Having turkey at Christmas? The cost of a bird this year could gobble up your savings...

The cost of a turkey will be up to 50 per cent more expensive than last year.

11 December 2007
How to find the cheapest Christmas turkey

Fears heightened that the cost of Christmas lunch could rocket this year after an outbreak of bird flu - with Waitrose announcing it would have no organic turkeys this year.

Perhaps supply has been increased to cope with possible increased bird flu mortality and demand has dropped due to Britain's economy catching cold.

kporte Nov 11th 2009 2:10 am

If you saw the conditions that 9.99 British turkey suffered to get to your table, you wouldn't keep your xmas scoff fest down. Appalling.:thumbdown: