Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Real price of Food

The Real price of Food

Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:41 am
ABCDiamond

Default The Real price of Food

From the recent release of the Food prices comparisons, I began to do some checking myself on the Woolworths and Tesco websites.

This is what I have done so far

Tesco
£1.58 500gm OL BUDGET BUTTER 250G £0.79
£0.57 2kg OL BUDGET SELF RAISING FLOUR 1.5KG £0.43
£0.73 1kg OL BUDGET LONG GRAIN RICE 1KG
£7.68 1kg OL BUDGET RUMP STEAK PER KG
£1.78 1kg TOMATOES LOOSE CLASS 1
£0.49 450gm OL PINEAPPLE SLICES IN NATURAL JUICE 432G
£1.53 500gm BIRDS EYE GARDEN PEAS 400GR £1.22
£2.98 Dozen OL FREE RANGE EGGS LARGE BOX OF 12
£1.80 Dozen BIG & FRESH EGGS BOX OF 10 £1.5
£1.83 2kg MISCELLANEOUS GRANULATED SUGAR 2KG
Total £20.97

The same at Woolworths, again using OL (which I assume is own line or own brand) except for Peas which are McCain, to compete with Birds Eye, came to $45.08.

An FX rate of 2.15 would mean they would be the same cost.

However at an FX rate of 2.46, which is the rate that would have the average UK wage equalling the average Australian wage, the UK basket above would cost $51.58

Those figures show that UK food is more expensive so far....

Anyone else care to add some exact comparisons.

These Prices checked at:
Aus: http://www.homeshop.com.au
UK: http://www.tesco.com/todayattesco/pricecheck.shtml

These prices do not reflect the prices I actually pay, which are even cheaper, as I feel that Woolworths is expensive.

Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:45 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Real price of Food

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
From the recent release of the Food prices comparisons, I began to do some checking myself on the Woolworths and Tesco websites.

Total £20.97

The same at Woolworths, again using OL (which I assume is own line or own brand) except for Peas which are McCain, to compete with Birds Eye, came to $45.08.

However at an FX rate of 2.46, which is the rate that would have the average UK wage equalling the average Australian wage, the UK basket above would cost $51.58

These Prices checked at:

These prices do not reflect the prices I actually pay, which are even cheaper, as I feel that Woolworths is expensive.
thats no good for me , i live on beer .
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Total £20.97

These Prices checked at:

I was going to ask you to provide the total basket figure as a proportion of daily average gross (or net income) but even if it is an easy task there is so much variance for people....but a stat nonetheless..

.. probably one you would not shy from!!

Then there is the question of the items you have picked. Are you happy they are representative..
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:42 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Woolies topside roasting beef $9.49 / kg. ~6% fat wastage. Used for stir fry / bistek / casserole / lean beef type cooking - rarely roasts.
Tesco £8.48 / kg * $1.8 = $15.26 / kg.

Halal butcher lean beef mince $9 / kg. Tesco don't do an equivalent.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:12 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I typed 'Bread' into Tesco and it was a long list but this one jumped out at me because I bought one last night.

BURGEN SOYA AND LINSEED BREAD 800G £1.34 (Tesco)
Tip Top Burgen Bread Soy And Linseed 700g $4.79 (Woolies - although it was on 'special' in Coles last night for $4.00).

Yes I know...who would be so silly as to spend $4.79 on a loaf of bread. Well it wasn't for me, me and bread are having a break , was for my Aussie OH who refuses to go anywhere near Aldi and sneers at anything that comes from there.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:17 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Woolies topside roasting beef $9.49 / kg. ~6% fat wastage. Used for stir fry / bistek / casserole / lean beef type cooking - rarely roasts.
Tesco £8.48 / kg * $1.8 = $15.26 / kg.

Halal butcher lean beef mince $9 / kg. Tesco don't do an equivalent.
Super market beef in the Uk is uniformally crap. I bought mine from one of the few remaining actual butchers in the uk
Supermarket beef here is better but still not as good as the butchers.

Interestingly, in the uk when you have beef or pork etc covered in a bbq sauce or similar, this is the stuff that has been left out when a customer decides he/she has changed their mind. A quickslop of "marinade" quickly disguises an off colour meat which no one will buy. I would imagine Coles etc are the same. Buy meat at a butcher is my advice
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:31 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Total £20.97

These Prices checked at:

now try netto
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:36 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I typed 'Bread' into Tesco and it was a long list but this one jumped out at me because I bought one last night.

Tip Top Burgen Bread Soy And Linseed 700g $4.79 (Woolies - although it was on 'special' in Coles last night for $4.00).

Yes I know...who would be so silly as to spend $4.79 on a loaf of bread. Well it wasn't for me, me and bread are having a break , was for my Aussie OH who refuses to go anywhere near Aldi and sneers at anything that comes from there.
The range of breads has dwindled by ~2/3 in the last decade and the relative price has increased by ~75%. Australians are eating less bread, buying it in bakeries and using bread maker appliances at home. Bread is too fattening for older people and the younger get their carbohydrates in takeaways and sweet drinks.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I was going to ask you to provide the total basket figure as a proportion of daily average gross (or net income) but even if it is an easy task there is so much variance for people....but a stat nonetheless..

.. probably one you would not shy from!!

Then there is the question of the items you have picked. Are you happy they are representative..
I have taken the item descriptions from the ABS 6403.055.001 Average Retail Prices of Selected Items, Eight Capital Cities.

I aim to do everything on the list eventually, for my own site, but grabbed those ones randomly at first. I will also be adding local shop prices.

The ABS price for those shown so far was $49.63 for Brisbane.

The comparison to wages is done by using the same FX rate that would make wages the same, ie: 2.46. Unless I can find more recent wage comparison. The last one I did was in 2008.

I would love to do accurate examples for each occupation, but would need two people from each occupation to provide income figures, one UK and one Australia. And a year or so of my time..........

Old Nov 10th 2009, 5:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Super market beef in the Uk is uniformally crap. I bought mine from one of the few remaining actual butchers in the uk
So did we - cheaper and better quality, I really cannot understand why more people in the UK don't.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by king kong
thats no good for me , i live on beer .
Give us a hand then.....

ABS figures:
Alcoholic drinks
$39.86 Beer, full strength (24 x 375ml bottles, case)
$2.97 Draught beer, low alcohol, public bar (285ml glass)
$3.24 Draught beer, full strength, public bar (285ml glass)
$4.93 Scotch, public bar (30ml nip)

How much in UK, and how much in Australia ?
eg:
Australia - Woolworths (Dan Murphy)
$33.90 XXXX Gold 30x375mL
$33.90 Carlton Dry 24x355mL Bottles

$43.90 Jim Beam White Label Bourbon 1125mL

Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:10 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
So did we - cheaper and better quality, I really cannot understand why more people in the UK don't.
Sure. the difference in price is sizeable but the difference in quality is staggering.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld

Go with Helgas from Woolworths...
It's a bit cheaper than Tip Top, and a lot bigger.
$4.59 Helgas Bread Soy and Linseed Sliced 850g

Does Tesco sell Helga's ?

The only time I would buy Helgas is when it is on special at about $2.50 each.

or an everyday price at ALDI:
$2.99 Bakers Life Homestyle Soy Linseed Bread 850g (£1.21)

Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

How much in UK, and how much in Australia ?
eg:
Australia - Woolworths (Dan Murphy)
$33.90 XXXX Gold 30x375mL
$33.90 Carlton Dry 24x355mL Bottles

$43.90 Jim Beam White Label Bourbon 1125mL
Tesco:

CARLSBERG LAGER 24X440ML CANS £10.00
FOSTERS LAGER 24X440ML CANS £10.00
TENNENTS LAGER 24X440ML CANS £10.00

...I'm sensing a promo! Will definitely take the Carlsberg!

JIM BEAM BLACK BOURBON 70CL £14.95

Don't think it's very popular in the UK though.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 6:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

or an everyday price at ALDI:
$2.99 Bakers Life Homestyle Soy Linseed Bread 850g (£1.21)
I have tried to sneak Aldi brands in before....but I always get busted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.