Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real Fish and Chips ?

Real Fish and Chips ?

Old Dec 3rd 2002, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future
Default Real Fish and Chips ?

I do miss Icelandic Cod out in OZ but some of the Aussie Fish ain't that bad at all. But often that splendid Australian fish is spoilt by serving with frozen rather than real chips. (ie peeled and chipped in-situ)

At one point the Red Crab at Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast used to buck the trend and make real chips ... but no longer ... well certainly not last time I was there.

So the question is ... where are those Chip Shops making real chips.

Appolgies if this is off topic. But there's culture and culture.
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I have just enjoyed a small Cod and Chips from my local 'Superfish' - it was great!
I am sure I won't miss it when comparing it to all the tasty sea food you get out there though - give me a prawn on the Barbie any day .
Old Dec 3rd 2002, 6:33 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

That Pie 'n Peas van in Sydney does pretty good chips.
Old Dec 4th 2002, 3:11 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Fish and Chips ?

Originally posted by Stan J
I do miss Icelandic Cod out in OZ but some of the Aussie Fish ain't that bad at all. But often that splendid Australian fish is spoilt by serving with frozen rather than real chips. (ie peeled and chipped in-situ)

At one point the Red Crab at Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast used to buck the trend and make real chips ... but no longer ... well certainly not last time I was there.

So the question is ... where are those Chip Shops making real chips.

Appolgies if this is off topic. But there's culture and culture.
if you find any in WA tell me , the chips here are rank I have had carboard with more taste , the thought of fresh chips hanging around in the frier for a minute or two soaked in grease makes my guts rumbe.

Old Dec 4th 2002, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

I'll certainly try and find that spot in Mooloolaba sometime (is that along the spit ?), as for the Pie n Peas van in Sydney ... that's a bit too generic ... as for WA I kinda liked some F&C I bought at the harbour in Freo, probably more so for the Fish than for the Chips, I also liked some F&C I bought at Bussleton.

In Brisbane (near Indooroopilly Shopping Town) just up Moggil Road towards Chapel Hill there's a NZ bloke who makes real chips (next to the Brumbys bakery) ...

Believe it or not in Port Douglas there's a chippy which offers a choice of Malt as Well as Distilled Vinegar ... now that's culture.

Bainsters on Maggie (Magnetic Island) is another top spot ... but once again thety would do better with real chips.

The biggest feed for your money (and not bad neither) must go to the Shell garage on southern outskirts of Homehill
Old Dec 4th 2002, 10:05 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Generic? I take it you were never in Sydney then!

In Australia, meat pies are more popular than hamburgers, pizzas and hot dogs. Harry's Cafe de Wheels is a famous little van parked at the navy dockyards in Sydney, which sells pies and peas with hot coffee to the city's residents, famous visitors, and other hungry tourists.

The story goes back to the Depression years of the late 1930s, says the owner's website.. With the world on the brink of a devastating war,an enterprising Sydneysider by the name of Harry (Tiger) Edwards opened a caravan cafe near the front gates of Woolloomooloo naval dockyard.

For a while it looked like the venture would become an early casualty of the war when Harry closed down and went to the Middle East with the Australian army. But, on his discharge in 1945, he went back into business - realising that Sydney hadn't changed much and it was still almost impossible to get a good feed late at night.

Word spread quickly, with Harry's pies and peas and crumbed sausages soon becoming a popular part of the city's nightlife - keenly sought by sailors, soldiers, cabbies, starlets and coppers alike.The name Cafe de Wheels came about as the city council of the day insisted that mobile food caravans move a minimum of 12 inches a day. Harry dutifully obeyed.

As the years passed, Harry's Cafe de Wheels gained new fame as a tourist attraction. A visit to the caravan became a 'must' for visiting celebrities such as Frank Sinatra, Robert Mitchum and Marelene Dietrich.

Elton John held a press conference at Harry's, and the British singer is a regular customer when he visits Sydney. Other recent visitors have included actors Kevin Costner, Brooke Shields, Pat Rafter, Olivia Newton-John, Jerry Lewis. Billy Crystal and ex-Baywatch star Pamela Anderson.

Current owner Michael Hannah believes Harry's finest moment came in 1978 when Rear Admiral David Martin - over a pie and a glass of champagne - commissioned the caravan as HMAS Harry's. [Eleven years later, Sir David Martin became a popular Governor of New South Wales.}

http://www.harryscafedewheels.com.au/

Cheers - Don
Attached Thumbnails Real Fish and Chips ?-neon.jpg  
Old Dec 4th 2002, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sure I've been to Sydney ... 'though not to this Harry's van.

So do this crowd peel, slice and fry up real chips then or do their 'fries' come straight out the freezer ?
Old Dec 4th 2002, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stan J!

For the best fish and chips in the whole world! go to 'Doyles' Sydney! any of their restaurants are great, but personally , the one at Watsons Bay i think is the best, great food, great service and a fantastic view of Sydney!

Our mouths are watering now at the memory! aaahhhhh! the best fish and chips ever!!!! cant wait to get back there to re-live it!!!

Cheers!
Old Dec 4th 2002, 9:21 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

Are we talking fish n chips or Cockney rhymin' slang? If it's the latter (I don't mean batter),then the bird on 'Place in the Sun' has got the most pert fish n chips I've seen in a long while!!!

BB-merchant banker
Old Dec 5th 2002, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Doyles has certainly got the reputation, imagine it would be exxy though. Walked past the place once (or twice) looked like it was full of Chardonnay quaffing characters.

No that ain't slang!
Old Dec 5th 2002, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

poggle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stan J
Doyles has certainly got the reputation, imagine it would be exxy though. Walked past the place once (or twice) looked like it was full of Chardonnay quaffing characters.

No that ain't slang!

Hi Stan!

I think The wharf and Quay side branches of Doyles attract the 'Chardonnay Quaffing characters'[lol!] but the Beach restaurant at Watsons Bay is by far the best! much more down to earth, as its the original one started by the family donkeys years ago! very quaint!
Prices were reasonable for 'fish and chips' . We had Barramundi and highly recommend that, and the Chips were 'proper' chips, not like the frozen things that have 'never seen a potato in their lives'!!

Check out their website for the menu and price list, sorry , dont have it handy but its easy to find in 'search'.

Hope you get there someday!

Cheers!

Old Dec 5th 2002, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

might book for this sunday lunch

http://www.doyles.com.au/

havagoodweekend all
Old Dec 5th 2002, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

very good fish and chips at Balmoral beach, North Sydney.
Old Dec 6th 2002, 12:03 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Real Fish and Chips ?

Is it just me, or the chip shops, and restaurants which I visit that there seems to be no vinegar? I've yet to come across a chippy which has vinegar, except one and it was a Chinese fish shop.
There's salt, lemon, and that's it. No Vinegar! who's ever heard of no vinegar on chips.

I've taken to carrying a small plastic camping bottle filled with vinegar in the car with me, just in case I stop off to buy chips.

And what about the curry? - no curry and chips. Or maybe it's just Brisbane, and Newcastle..
Chip shop owners in Brisbane please take note - where's the vinegar??? !

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Dec 6th 2002 at 12:08 am.
Old Dec 6th 2002, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

true that, no vinegar.
lots of "chicken salt" whatever that is. Didn't know you could make salt out of chickens.
no curry and chips and no gravy and chips. It's a disgrace !!
How's a pommie supposed to survive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.