Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real Estate Charges

Real Estate Charges

Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:19 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Real Estate Charges

Can anyone give us an idea of their fee's to sellers?

I'm guessing these vary and are possibly negotiable ...
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:31 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Estate Charges

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Can anyone give us an idea of their fee's to sellers?

I'm guessing these vary and are possibly negotiable ...
Considerable variation and extremely negotiable - the degree of negotiation will depend on how much they think they can sell your house and how quickly - and what you want for it.
In regional NSW selling fees are much higher than in the uk, eg 4% compared to 1.5%.
They may also ask for an advertising contribution if you take it off the market before they sell it, and any higher end advertising, eg in some lifestyle mags, is on top.
You will probably find metro areas have smaller % as they have higher prices.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Scotty1
4%

Wow, hmmm, I wonder ?!?

Them 'sell your home for $399' deals that throw it on Realestate.com for you.

Hmmmmm....

$4% =

$399 =

Appreciate it ain't THAT easy, but gotta wonder, it's a good house.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, hmmm, I wonder ?!?

Them 'sell your home for $399' deals that throw it on Realestate.com for you.

Hmmmmm....

$4% =

$399 =

Appreciate it ain't THAT easy, but gotta wonder, it's a good house.
In Qld the max commission is regulated, but in my experience most agents DID charge the max commission.

This will give you an idea:

http://www.nfn.com.au/selling-proper...mission-rates/

If you want to avoid these types of numbers then you will have to go to one of the fixed rate folks. Some will argue they are less incentivised by commission so may not work as hard for you and your sale price will be less reducing your saving or actually leaving you worse off in the end.

You will need to factor in advertising costs etc. which can be surprisingly steep for a tiny ad in the paper!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
In Qld the max commission is regulated, but in my experience most agents DID charge the max commission.

This will give you an idea:

http://www.nfn.com.au/selling-proper...mission-rates/

If you want to avoid these types of numbers then you will have to go to one of the fixed rate folks. Some will argue they are less incentivised by commission so may not work as hard for you and your sale price will be less reducing your saving or actually leaving you worse off in the end.

You will need to factor in advertising costs etc. which can be surprisingly steep for a tiny ad in the paper!
Thanks for that, a lot of money!

There's heaps of these companies out there that will list your house on realestate.com (half way there i'd of thought), deal with enquiries, and a limited service basically, but for only $300 - $500+

I can't help but think that once you've got the buyer, showed them around and answered any queries, you can throw it to 'legal' people to tie up.

If only things were that simply I'm sure you think, but there IS a chance I woulda thought.

Real estate mob we bought thru is wanting to get around tomorrow, got the ideal buyer ready ... ... but can't be funding $12k odd to them ...

Gotta move quick so hopefully someone might chip in with some experience of them ' $500' jobbies.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

What a coincidence that all estate agents happen to have the ideal buyer before you sign. But once signed they disappear???

Get a Board up for $100
Get good photos (use professional photographer)
Get loaded on to www.realestate.com.au
Be prepared to show the property at any time
Get the Section 32 done but refrain from signing until serious buyer on the cards. As soon as you sign the clock starts ticking.

Good luck
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:19 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
What a coincidence that all estate agents happen to have the ideal buyer before you sign. But once signed they disappear???

Get a Board up for $100
Get the Section 32 done but refrain from signing until serious buyer on the cards. As soon as you sign the clock starts ticking.

Good luck
Yes there's nothing to lose by trying to sell it yourself. You can advertise it for $250 a month on www.domain.com.au.

Put a sign up and place it on the market at a fair price and see how you go...

S
Old Aug 15th 2012, 9:49 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

In Qld the commission is (I think) about 2½% - and the agent will charge on top of that for any advertising in the local papers etc. Not sure whether they charge to put it on realestate.com, but you will certainly have to pay for the photographer to produce all those lovely shots that have no resemblance to the place you actually live in!

The biggest problem is that you never know whether you could have made more money by going with a cheaper agent or doing it yourself, as each house is unique so you can't compare it to the one next door that sold last week.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 12:18 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008

Get a Board up for $100

Good luck
Realestate.com.au does not accept listings from private/diy sellers

Last edited by ajw; Aug 16th 2012 at 12:20 am.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:16 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajw
Realestate.com.au does not accept listings from private/diy sellers
But there are online intermediaries who will offer the service for a small fee (eg http://www.listonrealestate.com.au/ )

Mind, realestate.com are on to a good deal, $99 for a listing on an online database is nearly all profit.

As I see it there are two potential ways an agent could make their (extreme) cost in Oz
  1. They get a better price
  2. They get a faster, less hassle, sale
I'm doubting that either is really valid considering the $20k they seem to expect - particularly since they can play both ends against the middle - they aren't really on your side. Better to spend that money making the place look better
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

QLD, Its 5% of the first 18,000 then 2.5% of rest. Plus GST.

Amazingly for that staggering sum they expect you to pay extra for photograpy and advertising. A $6000 package was mentioned last time we talked selling
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:12 am
Account Closed

Well i'll be wanting $475,000 for my place and according to the link above that's $13,500 inc GST to the real estate seller....

Yeah right!

Real estate with so called 'buyer' was chasing today as my house is apparently ideal from them. "We can do a GOOD deal on commission on this one" was the comment from her. I replied back with "what, 1%???" ... to what I was told to stop being silly ...

That lead ends there.

In my experience real estate over here don't do their job properly anyway as when we was looking I think just the one asked if we had finances in place etc etc.

I'll have it on Realestate.com via one of them $499 jobbies in a week, the bank have given us 3 months so gotta get me skates on!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:03 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Well i'll be wanting $475,000 for my place and according to the link above that's $13,500 inc GST to the real estate seller....

Yeah right!

Real estate with so called 'buyer' was chasing today as my house is apparently ideal from them. "We can do a GOOD deal on commission on this one" was the comment from her. I replied back with "what, 1%???" ... to what I was told to stop being silly ...

That lead ends there.

In my experience real estate over here don't do their job properly anyway as when we was looking I think just the one asked if we had finances in place etc etc.

I'll have it on Realestate.com via one of them $499 jobbies in a week, the bank have given us 3 months so gotta get me skates on!

And don't forget www.domain.com.au!

s
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
And don't forget www.domain.com.au!

s
The couple of sites that do these $300 - $500 odd DIY deals all reckon they list on 10+ sites inc the all important Realestate.com

I've used Domain myself before so will check WHAT other sites they use.

Cheers
Old Aug 16th 2012, 8:48 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

The couple of sites that do these $300 - $500 odd DIY deals all reckon they list on 10+ sites inc the all important Realestate.com

I've used Domain myself before so will check WHAT other sites they use.

Cheers
The 2 key ones are domain and realestate. On domain you can get your own listing, but you need to be with an agent of some sort for realestate.com
People search using both. My personal preference for searching is domain as I find it more user friendly for rentals and the map is better, but I would always search both. If you can only do one for selling your place I would recommend realestate.com
It would be worth getting two or three agents round to give you a view on price - they should bring with them some good comparisons that you will be able to keep.
Hope you manage to sell it easily

Scotty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.