Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Real Cost-Of-Living

Real Cost-Of-Living

Old Jun 24th 2005, 3:52 pm

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Q

Originally Posted by worzel
I found it odd the other direction. Finance/accounting jobs in Birmingham look typical but those in Perth look over-stated. I hope its true, in which case I will be quids in, but it doesn't stack up with any jobs websites.

yep - I wasn't trying to say that the site was understating but just trying to say something about it's integrity. (and I'm still hoping that it is inaccurate - if not, my salary wil be approx 60% of the average Perth salary (and I'm at the top of the scale) which even for teaching sounds just too low)!

Be nice if some of the Aussies could have a look and comment.
Old Jun 24th 2005, 3:54 pm
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NKSK
I don't think it's accurate - at least I'm hoping not. I'll be claiming poverty benefits if it is correct.

e.g. I just looked at two jobs - pilot and corporate lawyer both working in London.

Average salary for a pilot in London - £32000.

Average for corporate lawyer - £44000

Both of these seem exceptionally low.
Yep, I think this site is dodgy. I just looked at the pilot figures and it also says COL for the area (London) is £37,231 but for my DB Admin job it was £52,600.

I guess the average DB Admin guy must live a jet-set lifestyle as opposed to the average pilot who lives a... um... less jet-set, more microlite lifestyle
Old Jun 24th 2005, 4:14 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I just check on a couple of salaries - apparently the average salary for a nurse is $76000 in Perth.
Seems contrary to what people have posted on here!

Do you think the salaries are real?
That is daft

That site is not accurate. The average salary for nurses is not $76000

That may be a figure somewhere between what a very senior nurse manager and a newly qualified registered nurse but it is way above average.

G
Old Jun 24th 2005, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

I just check on a couple of salaries - apparently the average salary for a nurse is $76000 in Perth.

Do you think the salaries are real?[/QUOTE]

I wish it was the average pay
$76,000 is certainly not the average wage for a nurse, unless it's average for senior nurses/nurse consultants! I have a job to go over to and I wont be earning anywhere near that. If only

The cost of living on that chart appears to be quite high to me as well.

Tracey
Old Jun 24th 2005, 5:53 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Real Cost-Of-Living

The website in my opinion is a lot of tripe!

It said my hubbie would only have to earn $28k in Australia as a senior design engineer to have thesame quality of life in Brisbane!!!!!! hmmmmm i don't think so

More like $60k + I would of thought!

Lynn
Old Jun 24th 2005, 11:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fnord
OK, how about some new data, this time from http://www.salaryexpert.com/
Each city has local average earnings for database system administrator and local cost of living. Melbourne worse than Sydney though?
That average wage had me concerned for a second, till I saw you said "local average earnings for database system administrator "

Overall average Wage in Australia is now just over the $51,000 figure

Old Jun 25th 2005, 12:12 am
ABCDiamond

I looked at these examples:

Accounts Payable Clerk working in Brisbane now earns an average salary of 48,052
Accounts Payable Manager working in Brisbane now earns an average salary of 104,922
Payroll Clerk working in Brisbane now earns an average salary of 42,993
Housecleaner working in Brisbane now earns an average salary of 25,182
Secondary School Teacher working in Brisbane now earns an average salary of 68,924

I'm not sure about the Accounts Payable Manager on 104,922 ?
But the others seem about right from what I have seen. But most of these will be based on having Australian Experience, and unlikely to be obtained by people "fresh of the boat"

Old Jun 25th 2005, 7:26 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

But the others seem about right from what I have seen. But most of these will be based on having Australian Experience, and unlikely to be obtained by people "fresh of the boat"
It will still make no difference to Nurses whether they have Australian experience or not. Wages are agreed on a state wide basis and the average wage for Nurses in Perth is nowhere near $76.000

G
Old Jun 25th 2005, 8:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
It will still make no difference to Nurses whether they have Australian experience or not. Wages are agreed on a state wide basis and the average wage for Nurses in Perth is nowhere near $76.000

G
Why the sarcasm at the end of your comment ?

Old Jun 25th 2005, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

You just knew you'd get feedback on this didn't you?!

Do you think the salaries are real?
Are they b***ocks!

Nurses wages in WA: http://www.anfwa.asn.au/rates.php

A level 1 nurse with seven years experience is getting about $49k before tax. Most nurses are level 1.

Rachel
Old Jun 25th 2005, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

When moving countries, I think it is important to realise that you are inevitably going to take a 'step back' in your career and salary. When we moved from South Africa to the UK 8 years ago, my husband went from being a financial manager and 2IC of a motor dealership to a project accountant for an auditing firm, a role he did 5 years previously. But, over the 8 years, we worked our way back up again. A magistrate friend of mine who moved to Australia said that he stepped back probably about 15 years in terms of career and salary, but what we both agreed upon was that the financial reward was not the motivating factor for us - it was the better quality of life. When moving countries, sacrifices will have to be made. We live in a 4bed detached with a study in the UK, when we move to Melbourne, even though we have made a substantial profit on our property, we will only realistically be able to afford a 3bed house, but that is ok, we don't plan on spending much time in it anyway

What I think you need to do is work out the minimum you can afford to live on and take anything extra as a bonus.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 10:03 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
When moving countries, I think it is important to realise that you are inevitably going to take a 'step back' in your career and salary. When we moved from South Africa to the UK 8 years ago, my husband went from being a financial manager and 2IC of a motor dealership to a project accountant for an auditing firm, a role he did 5 years previously. But, over the 8 years, we worked our way back up again. A magistrate friend of mine who moved to Australia said that he stepped back probably about 15 years in terms of career and salary, but what we both agreed upon was that the financial reward was not the motivating factor for us - it was the better quality of life. When moving countries, sacrifices will have to be made. We live in a 4bed detached with a study in the UK, when we move to Melbourne, even though we have made a substantial profit on our property, we will only realistically be able to afford a 3bed house, but that is ok, we don't plan on spending much time in it anyway

What I think you need to do is work out the minimum you can afford to live on and take anything extra as a bonus.
I agree completely. My salary when I move to Perth will be equivalent in sterling to what I was earning 6 years ago.

I'll also be going backwards career wise by at least three steps.

However, you do weigh up everything and it is my feeling that my experience is not wasted - it will be recognised at some point.

Having said that I know that for some people the thought of taking a salary cut or a step down is just horrific.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 11:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Why the sarcasm at the end of your comment ?
The smilie was aimed at the site which claims nurses earn that much..not at you.

Why so sensitive

G
Old Jun 26th 2005, 6:21 am
Badge

Originally Posted by wmoore
Depends what you do. I've seen plenty of IT jobs advertised at that kind of level. And seeing as I earn nowhere near £40k here, that could be a huge pay rise for me. Realistically I'd be happy with quite a bit less than that though.
This was indeed the situation for me.

IT workers can earn AUS70plus easily.

GBP40 - maybe in London and the Se for some jobs - 30 more realistic I would say.

Badge

Old Jun 26th 2005, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

I agree completely. My salary when I move to Perth will be equivalent in sterling to what I was earning 6 years ago.

I'll also be going backwards career wise by at least three steps.

However, you do weigh up everything and it is my feeling that my experience is not wasted - it will be recognised at some point.

Having said that I know that for some people the thought of taking a salary cut or a step down is just horrific.
You and coxfamuk sum up the situation very honestly, I feel. We have decided not to go to Australia for at least another year. My wife teaches mainly GCSE resits at an FE College. There's no equivalent in Oz - the TAFEs tend to do vocational subjects only, so she'd need to get a postgrad qualification in say TESOL to qualify for a decent job. There are few IT jobs in Adelaide for me and, even though I have nothing here at the moment, I don't feel I can take the risk.

So, my wife's accepted a full time post here at her College (they have been begging her to go full time for months) and I am taking a course in something entirely unconnected with IT whilst at the same time starting my own business in IT. This is partly because I've always wanted to start my own business but didn't ever have the opportunity and partly because, at 41 with my specific work experience, there just aren't many IT jobs that are suitable. So too, if the truth be known, I am losing interest in technology for its own sake; the enthusiasm has gone.

Anyhow, I'll be posting less frequently now that we're here for at least another year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.