Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Re-Training in Oz?

Re-Training in Oz?

Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:17 pm
Cobber

pab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to all
Default Re-Training in Oz?

Hello

I am currently employed as a Web Printer in the UK and have a validated 175 visa. I am 34 and married with 2 kids.

We will be moving to Melbourne (this year hopefully!) and I am thinking of using the move to Melbourne as the perfect opportunity to re-train as a sparky (possibly) as I feel that the printing industry will continue its steady decline and as I have over 30 years of work life left (hoping I dont die early!) I dont think printing will see me out!

If any of you could give me some advice on how best to go about doing this; ie as an apprentice, night school, full time college, where the colleges are etc etc then it would be very much appreciated.

I will have around £100k to bring with us so I am planning on living in rented for a couple of years and using some of this money to go towards supporting the 2 kids if I cannot bring in enough money from work.

Regards
Old Apr 1st 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Re-Training in Oz?

My oh has done something like this - changing career and starting an apprenticeship. (He started a plumbing apprenticeship in Nov 2008, after doing a pre-apprenticeship in the 1st half of 2008).

Finding an employer to take you on as an apprentice is not easy in the current economic climate, however, with some perseverance and the safety net of some funds in the bank you should be right!

Perhaps consider doing a pre-apprenticeship to start with - these are typically a 6 month course that you can do at many "TAFE" colleges. You pay to do the course, but as a permanent resident the costs are not too high. They give you the 1st 6 month of the school part of your apprenticeship, so you are more attractive to employers as you have some of the basic skills already. Increasingly more of the adds looking for 1st year apprentices here state "pre-apprenticeship required" or "pre-apprenticeship preferred". You could always start a pre-app while you are looking for work in any case, as at least you'll feel like you are doing something towards your future career while doing the demoralising job hunt- and the teaching staff at tafe can be useful contacts in the field to help find an employer.

Some other info you may find useful can be found in this website:
http://www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/
Its worth noting that the government has incentives for mature age apprentices:
http://www.australianapprenticeships...Mid_career.asp
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 4:56 am
Cobber

pab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to allpab1974 is a name known to all
Default Re: Re-Training in Oz?

Originally Posted by elmao
My oh has done something like this - changing career and starting an apprenticeship. (He started a plumbing apprenticeship in Nov 2008, after doing a pre-apprenticeship in the 1st half of 2008).

Finding an employer to take you on as an apprentice is not easy in the current economic climate, however, with some perseverance and the safety net of some funds in the bank you should be right!

Perhaps consider doing a pre-apprenticeship to start with - these are typically a 6 month course that you can do at many "TAFE" colleges. You pay to do the course, but as a permanent resident the costs are not too high. They give you the 1st 6 month of the school part of your apprenticeship, so you are more attractive to employers as you have some of the basic skills already. Increasingly more of the adds looking for 1st year apprentices here state "pre-apprenticeship required" or "pre-apprenticeship preferred". You could always start a pre-app while you are looking for work in any case, as at least you'll feel like you are doing something towards your future career while doing the demoralising job hunt- and the teaching staff at tafe can be useful contacts in the field to help find an employer.

Some other info you may find useful can be found in this website:
http://www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/
Its worth noting that the government has incentives for mature age apprentices:
http://www.australianapprenticeships...Mid_career.asp
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.