Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Re Medical/weight problem!

Re Medical/weight problem!

Old Sep 18th 2002, 4:01 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
poggle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Parkdale/Melbourne
Posts: 277
poggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re Medical/weight problem!

Hi All!

I posted a while back asking for any advice from people that have had their medicals and been very overweight, thanks for the response!
We went for our Medicals yesterday and although John has lost over 2 and a half stone since my last posting, he still weighed just about 19 stone.

He is 6ft 1' and fairly fit, never smoked [but does like a beer or 20!] He is a big, thick set guy, and the weight is fairly evenly distributed, ie not just a 'beer gut on legs!'

We are still worried though, that desite his blood pressure being normal, [very surprising after the stressful journey to doc's, was late getting there, got lost several times! and stuck in traffic!!!] and with ahealthy heart/ lungs etc. and no family history of anything, that he might fail the medical, purely on the grounds of his weight.

We'd love to hear from anyone that is/was in a similar position, or knows, to what extent does the Med examiner at dimia look at the overall picture?
Maybe some of you can put our minds at rest. Thanks for any help

Cheers
poggle is offline  
Old Sep 18th 2002, 5:30 pm
  #2  
ndaltonb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re Medical/weight problem!

Hi Poggle,

Can't help too much I'm afraid except, call the doctor who examined you in a couple of weeks and ask him/her if John was cat A or Cat B. If Cat A, then no worries.

We were worried about my thyroid and the doc told us he had to put cat B but that most times there wasn't a problem. I've been told they are looking for two things
- Are you infections
- Will you cost the state a shed load of money in hospital fees.

Hope this helps

Nigel db

Originally posted by poggle:
Hi All!

I posted a while back asking for any advice from people that have had their medicals and been very overweight, thanks for the response!
We went for our Medicals yesterday and although John has lost over 2 and a half stone since my last posting, he still weighed just about 19 stone.

He is 6ft 1' and fairly fit, never smoked [but does like a beer or 20!] He is a big, thick set guy, and the weight is fairly evenly distributed, ie not just a 'beer gut on legs!'

We are still worried though, that desite his blood pressure being normal, [very surprising after the stressful journey to doc's, was late getting there, got lost several times! and stuck in traffic!!!] and with ahealthy heart/ lungs etc. and no family history of anything, that he might fail the medical, purely on the grounds of his weight.

We'd love to hear from anyone that is/was in a similar position, or knows, to what extent does the Med examiner at dimia look at the overall picture?
Maybe some of you can put our minds at rest. Thanks for any help

Cheers
 
Old Sep 19th 2002, 10:30 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
poggle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Parkdale/Melbourne
Posts: 277
poggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re Medical/weight problem!

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by ndaltonb:
Hi Poggle,

Can't help too much I'm afraid except, call the doctor who examined you in a couple of weeks and ask him/her if John was cat A or Cat B. If Cat A, then no worries.

We were worried about my thyroid and the doc told us he had to put cat B but that most times there wasn't a problem. I've been told they are looking for two things
- Are you infections
- Will you cost the state a shed load of money in hospital fees.

Hope this helps

Nigel db





Hi Nigel!

Thanks for the reply! I dont know anything about being in catagory A or B? not heard about that until now, and our Doctor never mentioned it? Also do you know why id have to wait a couple of weeks before phoning the Doc? is it him that decides the catagory or the Med person in Adelaide?


Thanks again

Kaff
poggle is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2002, 10:46 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
lizzie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: lancashire
Posts: 236
lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re Medical/weight problem!

Hi Kaff

Our medical was for NZ so not sure that they worry about the same things. Anyway, on a good day I'm pushing 13 stone!!! The doc. when asked if there were any problems replied "yes, she's overweight!" Apparently, should be somewhere between 8 1/2 and 10 1/2 stone - yeah, in my dreams. Was 10 1/2 stone before I had 3 children in 4 years.

Anyway, needless to say, I worried about this for 3 weeks and also the fact that my blood pressure was high (the doc. put that down to being worked up fortunately!) and I've got varicose veins. Quite a picture aren't I?!

Well, we passed! I'm not the principal applicant so don't know how much relevance that makes. Just waiting for the visas in the post - slightly worried cos its been 10 days and still no sign.

I'd like to say 'don't worry' but I know that's an impossibility. All I can say if your hubbie is otherwise fit and well, you should be fine. I do remember the doc. saying 'we've had much bigger than you in here!!" - cold comfort!

Lizzie
lizzie is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2002, 11:21 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
poggle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Parkdale/Melbourne
Posts: 277
poggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re Medical/weight problem!

Originally posted by lizzie:
Hi Kaff

Our medical was for NZ so not sure that they worry about the same things. Anyway, on a good day I'm pushing 13 stone!!! The doc. when asked if there were any problems replied "yes, she's overweight!" Apparently, should be somewhere between 8 1/2 and 10 1/2 stone - yeah, in my dreams. Was 10 1/2 stone before I had 3 children in 4 years.

Anyway, needless to say, I worried about this for 3 weeks and also the fact that my blood pressure was high (the doc. put that down to being worked up fortunately!) and I've got varicose veins. Quite a picture aren't I?!

Well, we passed! I'm not the principal applicant so don't know how much relevance that makes. Just waiting for the visas in the post - slightly worried cos its been 10 days and still no sign.

I'd like to say 'don't worry' but I know that's an impossibility. All I can say if your hubbie is otherwise fit and well, you should be fine. I do remember the doc. saying 'we've had much bigger than you in here!!" - cold comfort!

Lizzie



Hi Lizzie!


Thanks for that!! as with you, John isn't the main applicant, so as he is otherwise healthy, im hoping they look at the 'whole picture'! although i could do with losing a few pounds myself! im healthy and being on the MODL with a job to start too, perhaps as i'll be contributing to their economy immediately, they might be lenient with him!! Fingers toe's and everything crossed!!

I expect your running around like a headless chicken at the mo! especially with 3 kids to sort out! I hope your visa's arrive soon!! i'll be looking out for your 'WEYY HEYYY!!!!!!THEY'RE HERE!!!!posting!

Best wishes and good luck!!
poggle is offline  
Old Sep 19th 2002, 8:53 pm
  #6  
ndaltonb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re Medical/weight problem!

Hi,

At the end of the form there are two boxes A and B. Essentailly A means everything is great, no problems. B means there is a question mark. This question mark can be for something relatively minor but chronic (i.e. I have to take thyroid pills for the rest of my life, but its not life threatening etc) or for something serious say on x-ray or blood test. Either way the B category has to go to a Regional Medical person where they see if the medical condition is "expensive" or contagious. In my case, thyroid is well understood and so it was OK'ed by regional medical person in London. If more serious, they send the report to Aus.

I suggest you wait a couple of weeks because the doctor can't mark you A or B until he/she gets results of blood test back. If you know he/she has already sent off the form, or you picked them up, you can ask now.

Hope this helps

nigel db

[SIZE=1]Originally posted by poggle:
Originally posted by ndaltonb:
...........ask him/her if John was cat A or Cat B. If Cat A, then no worries.


Hi Nigel!
I dont know anything about being in catagory A or B? not heard about that until now, and our Doctor never mentioned it? Also do you know why id have to wait a couple of weeks before phoning the Doc? is it him that decides the catagory or the Med person in Adelaide?
Thanks again
Kaff
 
Old Sep 19th 2002, 9:10 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
poggle's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Parkdale/Melbourne
Posts: 277
poggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re Medical/weight problem!

Hi Nigel!

Thanks for that, its made it a lot clearer now! we should get a call from the Doc either Tomorrow or Monday to say he's got the results of blood tests and to go and pick up the forms to send to Adelaide, so i'll ask him then if we were A or B. Hopefully were both A's!!

Cheers
poggle is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.