Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

re-interview for nursing job.

re-interview for nursing job.

Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:25 am
SCANNY

scanny is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up re-interview for nursing job.

Posted a thread a couple of days ago seeking interview advice-great response and spot on advice. went yesterday and offered me the job there and then - it appears that everyone I saw was being offered on the day-so for future applicants I feel job offers are decided on CV? and it's just a matter of seeing what your personalities like. questions asked-"tell me about yourself, your family and why you want to go to aus" "tell me a little about your experience" "what do you think makes a good communicator." Beware, even with such simple questions I managed to um and ahh far too many times for my liking I'm not usually a gibbering idiot but managed it quite successfully yesteday. Hey who cares I got the offer-sponsorship, fare payed, 4 weeks accommodation payed, 2yr contract (supposedly). Problem want me to go sooner than I expected and haven't even got house on market yet-what a nigHtmare that is by all accounts. Still not getting too excited -loads of paper work to do yet and the dreaded medical :scared: -quite overweight so lets hope my doc is blind and can't see the numbers on the scales
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:28 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: re-interview for nursing job.

congratulations on the job offer!!
tell me more...where are you going to be working?
did you send your cv and they interviewed you on the strength of that?
well done!
sue
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 9:40 am
Just Joined

andrecat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scanny
Posted a thread a couple of days ago seeking interview advice-great response and spot on advice. went yesterday and offered me the job there and then - it appears that everyone I saw was being offered on the day-so for future applicants I feel job offers are decided on CV? and it's just a matter of seeing what your personalities like. questions asked-"tell me about yourself, your family and why you want to go to aus" "tell me a little about your experience" "what do you think makes a good communicator." Beware, even with such simple questions I managed to um and ahh far too many times for my liking I'm not usually a gibbering idiot but managed it quite successfully yesteday. Hey who cares I got the offer-sponsorship, fare payed, 4 weeks accommodation payed, 2yr contract (supposedly). Problem want me to go sooner than I expected and haven't even got house on market yet-what a nigHtmare that is by all accounts. Still not getting too excited -loads of paper work to do yet and the dreaded medical :scared: -quite overweight so lets hope my doc is blind and can't see the numbers on the scales
Are you going to the Queen Elizabeth? Thats where I work.

xxxx
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:48 pm
SCANNY

Originally Posted by andrecat
Are you going to the Queen Elizabeth? Thats where I work.

xxxx
Hi, yes I am-hopefully. Job offered but no official confirmation yet! Where abouts on hospital are you working? I am working in ITU/HDU at moment but Mara said I had to have ITU diploma and haven't, although I would have thought 3 yrs experience maight have counted for something. I could do the diploma there but I would need to do the costing for it all. Going to Gynae ward as a start. Have done acute general surgery/Gynae before so thought it would be a good starting point till I find my feet. Tell me all about the QEH, I know they have had a lot of developments done but didn't know if the Gynae ward was in the new building? Got to go, just a quick reply b4 T, fill me in on all the info. Scanny.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Hi, yes I am-hopefully. Job offered but no official confirmation yet! Where abouts on hospital are you working? I am working in ITU/HDU at moment but Mara said I had to have ITU diploma and haven't, although I would have thought 3 yrs experience maight have counted for something. I could do the diploma there but I would need to do the costing for it all. Going to Gynae ward as a start. Have done acute general surgery/Gynae before so thought it would be a good starting point till I find my feet. Tell me all about the QEH, I know they have had a lot of developments done but didn't know if the Gynae ward was in the new building? Got to go, just a quick reply b4 T, fill me in on all the info. Scanny.
Hi, well, welcome to the QEH!

I work in general surgery, Ive been here a year and started on M1 which is vascular. Im now on UGI/colorectal in the new wing of the hospital.
M means maternity, these wards are in the original Maternity wing which was opened in the 60's I think. They mainly have 2 & 3 bed rooms and its quite nice. I think you will be on M2 from what you say, its a nice ward, you'll like it Im sure, though I think you will find it a little less high tec than youre used to, I wonder why she didnt place you in HDU? They have newly graduate nurses in there so it seems a bit odd.
Expect it to be different! Its a different country, and i think the mistake many of us made was that we expected it to be the same as the UK but better staffed !
It will take you a while to get over the culture shock. I cried every night for the first month, and Im not the only one!
You will get used to it though, they wont expect much from you so take your time settling in, generally I find the staff are lovely, as are the patients, they very rarely complain.
It shouldnt be too hard to get on the ITU course, but they do prefer you to be in ITU at the time, so again, Im not sure why they placed you on M2. Usually they give us study leave, and we fund ourselves, but after a year the hospital refunds our fees. You can claim tax back too. Having a relevant post basci qualification should get you a 3% pay rise.
I hope you are coming out as a permanent resident? If not please consider this, its a lot cheaper in the long run and will give you the option of moving hospital if you dont like it. Id also advise you to speak to the other hospitals in Adelaide, the Royal Adelaide (RAH) and Flinders Medical Centre (not Flinders Private) or the Lyell McEwen and see if they would be willing to place you in ITU. I love the QEH and I really love my job, but Id be wary of being out of your speciality, did they discuss what circumstances youd get back to ITU in? Or give you any kind of time frame? Remember that they are recruiting because they are short of nurses, they will want you to stay but they are meeting their needs not yours! (Though Mara & Cara are lovely).
Ive not used this forum much, can you send me a private message? If so I will give you my email address. Keep in touch! And whatever you decide, goodluck!
Cathy
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:19 am
SCANNY

Originally Posted by andrecat
Hi, well, welcome to the QEH!

I work in general surgery, Ive been here a year and started on M1 which is vascular. Im now on UGI/colorectal in the new wing of the hospital.
M means maternity, these wards are in the original Maternity wing which was opened in the 60's I think. They mainly have 2 & 3 bed rooms and its quite nice. I think you will be on M2 from what you say, its a nice ward, you'll like it Im sure, though I think you will find it a little less high tec than youre used to, I wonder why she didnt place you in HDU? They have newly graduate nurses in there so it seems a bit odd.
Expect it to be different! Its a different country, and i think the mistake many of us made was that we expected it to be the same as the UK but better staffed !
It will take you a while to get over the culture shock. I cried every night for the first month, and Im not the only one!
You will get used to it though, they wont expect much from you so take your time settling in, generally I find the staff are lovely, as are the patients, they very rarely complain.
It shouldnt be too hard to get on the ITU course, but they do prefer you to be in ITU at the time, so again, Im not sure why they placed you on M2. Usually they give us study leave, and we fund ourselves, but after a year the hospital refunds our fees. You can claim tax back too. Having a relevant post basci qualification should get you a 3% pay rise.
I hope you are coming out as a permanent resident? If not please consider this, its a lot cheaper in the long run and will give you the option of moving hospital if you dont like it. Id also advise you to speak to the other hospitals in Adelaide, the Royal Adelaide (RAH) and Flinders Medical Centre (not Flinders Private) or the Lyell McEwen and see if they would be willing to place you in ITU. I love the QEH and I really love my job, but Id be wary of being out of your speciality, did they discuss what circumstances youd get back to ITU in? Or give you any kind of time frame? Remember that they are recruiting because they are short of nurses, they will want you to stay but they are meeting their needs not yours! (Though Mara & Cara are lovely).
Ive not used this forum much, can you send me a private message? If so I will give you my email address. Keep in touch! And whatever you decide, goodluck!
Cathy
Cathy I've Emailed you-cheers-Lesley
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Cathy I've Emailed you-cheers-Lesley
Hey Scanny,
Congratats on the job.

You'll sail through the medical and remember there is always the mad, mad Doctor in Birmingham - (the one who told me not to answer yes to any questions and just be quiet) I am a vision of health - yeah right!!!!!

I'm in same position as you - been offered job, paperwork crazy, just put house on market - it will all get sorted in the end.

Let us know how you get on!xx
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

jodesmc will become famous soon enoughjodesmc will become famous soon enough

Hi Scanny,
I too am an ICU nurse, but from Oz so trained here, have just come back in the past couple of months, and from what I understand, most, nearly all ICU's are so understaffed, they welcome anyone with any experience, and three years is a lot. I wouldn't imagine that you'd have a problem working or transferring there at all. Maybe once youa re acclimatised to the environment, you would be able to move to ICU?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:20 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

the dreaded medical :scared: -quite overweight so lets hope my doc is blind and can't see the numbers on the scales[/QUOTE]

You could always say what Sean said I'm just short for my weight as he was almost standing on his tip toes. The nurse was laughing so much that she didn't seem to notice

Debbie
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Hi lesley, i havent got anything!
xxxxxx
Old Nov 4th 2004, 12:30 pm
SCANNY

Originally Posted by Kristine
Hey Scanny,
Congratats on the job.

You'll sail through the medical and remember there is always the mad, mad Doctor in Birmingham - (the one who told me not to answer yes to any questions and just be quiet) I am a vision of health - yeah right!!!!!

I'm in same position as you - been offered job, paperwork crazy, just put house on market - it will all get sorted in the end.

Let us know how you get on!xx
Oh yes-was going to jog there to shed a few pounds :scared: : just got my job offer in writing today. Decided to go for PR and ENS but tricky as want to get timing right so PR visa given last but get to start job in allotted time. Have been investigating things so much am only just about to start paperwork but know what's ahead. Spent so much time in front of computer I think my ass has spread 2" at least. Not so worried about meds now as all the experiences given on site are a comfort. Will try to get fit, not just for meds but want to be able to enjoy lifestyle in OZ to full-the thought of sweaty bits in the height of summer should be enough motivation. Keep me posted. Scanny
Old Nov 4th 2004, 12:32 pm
SCANNY

Originally Posted by cresta57
the dreaded medical :scared: -quite overweight so lets hope my doc is blind and can't see the numbers on the scales

You could always say what Sean said I'm just short for my weight as he was almost standing on his tip toes. The nurse was laughing so much that she didn't seem to notice

Debbie[/QUOTE]
Bless him, "What I lack in height I make up for on width" that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Scanny.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 12:40 pm
SCANNY

Originally Posted by jodesmc
Hi Scanny,
I too am an ICU nurse, but from Oz so trained here, have just come back in the past couple of months, and from what I understand, most, nearly all ICU's are so understaffed, they welcome anyone with any experience, and three years is a lot. I wouldn't imagine that you'd have a problem working or transferring there at all. Maybe once youa re acclimatised to the environment, you would be able to move to ICU?
That was my thoughts exactly-if I need the Diploma maybe I could get to HDU instead and do the Diploma later when settled. Don't mind starting on a ward again but don't want to loose my skills. Your back in England I see, is this for good or just a break. We're in Harrogate, N,Yorks but not posh or rich unfortunately-the rich bit anyway. Work at the District Hosp-there will be a job in ITU/HDU in april time if you fancy it. Lovely place to work everyone really nice and down to earth. Scanny