Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Re: Do you really need an agent???

Re: Do you really need an agent???

Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Dizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Do you really need an agent???

Hi all

Am a subscriber to NZ site, just checking out some info for two mates hoping to emigrate to Oz soon. They've spoken to other mates who have said that they really need to use an agent to help the whole process, but to a tune of £3.5k......... We're half way thru' NZ immigration and doing it entirely ourselves, so my view is you should be able to do it independently and save some of that vital cash! They are both on the skills shortage list for Oz, under 45, no house to sell, no kids to worry about so eminently moveable!!!

What I am asking is this........... is the Oz process so horrendous that you really need an agent to prevent trip-ups, minefields and the like?? The mates that are using an agent have said that you can really come unstuck without one.... but maybe they are simply justifying themselves, eh??

So peeps, what do you reckon?? Thank you on their behalves, and mine as I'm a nosey whatsit and want to know if Oz immo is very different?!!

Diz
Old Aug 17th 2005, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

The proces isnt horrendous and most people do it without the use of an agent. I used one even though my case was straight forward, just for added peace of mind. And I don't regret spending the extra £1k at all.

I usd ASA, www.australia-migration.com, and thought they were superb.

SS
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

Dizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the roughDizibella is a jewel in the rough

Hi SS

Thanks for the reply...... looking at your timeline, did you have to invest money as part of your visa application??

Ta
Diz
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

rangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud ofrangersman has much to be proud of

We used an agent because I have a phobia about forms and knew they would never get done if I had to do them, also with working and looking after a little one it was much easier, it seems lots do the process themselves. I'm not a particularly organised person so an agent was neccessary for us.
We lodged visa application Jan and got visa 6thJuly would have took much, much longer if we'd done it ourselves probably still have forms sitting on the desk but now we are off 4th October.
Good luck, Nicola
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't use an agent. Straightforward case so thought what the hell.

Obtained STNI from SA and did it all by email. Scanned the documents they needed and got a very quick reply.

It's really not that difficult to get the forms filled out correctly. You just end up checking them 45 times before they go into the envelope....then as soon as the DHL man leaves you ask yourself if you checked Question 43 etc etc.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:26 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

We used an agent, it gave us extra piece of mind that everything in our application was spot on. For the sake of £1,000 I would have hated to have failed for not filling in the forms correctly or not giving enough information, especially so with the TRA.

Hope this helps.

Jo
Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:28 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

we used an agent and worth every penny in my book, cost £1500 plus the usual visa and tra costs so not too bad.

www.thinkingaustralia.com

Old Aug 17th 2005, 7:32 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

We are in the same situation as your friends and could probably have done it ourselves, with hindsight, but chose an agent as we wanted piece of mind.

We used Go Matilda who were excellent: www.gomatilda.com
Old Aug 17th 2005, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

With hindsight we probably could have done it without an agent. The TRA bit was the only bit we needed major help on, and we would have probably failed at a first attempt without the help of our agent, thanks to them we passed and are in the twilight of our app now, visa within a month or two, depending on the house sale.

I wouldn’t necessarily say you need an agent for the actual application as its just a case of filling in the form and following procedure and instructions sent from DIMIA.

With that said we are still happy to have spent the extra £££s and use an agent, to be honest we didn’t even think about not using one, as around 10 years ago when we first thought about emigrating we were looking at agents, and when we finally took the plunge last year, the first thing we did was contact an agent and pay a deposit.

It was only after, that I found this site, and with the information and help available on here it is definitely possible to complete the process without an agent. But its up to you if you use one or not.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Simoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Do you really need an agent???

We didn't use an agent and don't regret it as we had no probs, however we had a very straight forward case, we are in our 20's with no Kids, good health, equity in our current property and were on the MODL list.

If you friends choose not to use one, then I suggest lots of research on the internet, ask a million and one questions on this website and check your forms a million times.

If they choose to use one then I would go with one thats been recommended on this site that has a good reputation like Matilda.

Simone
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:23 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simoned1
We didn't use an agent and don't regret it as we had no probs, however we had a very straight forward case, we are in our 20's with no Kids, good health, equity in our current property and were on the MODL list.

If you friends choose not to use one, then I suggest lots of research on the internet, ask a million and one questions on this website and check your forms a million times.

If they choose to use one then I would go with one thats been recommended on this site that has a good reputation like Matilda.

Simone
HI
to be honest with you when you first look at the forms you tend to think oh my God !!!
But take it step by step and ask all these lovely people things you are not sure of .
We have passed our TRA by ourselves and have just put our main application together UPS taking it tommorrow so hopefully we have crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's we said if we fail for any reason it would fail with or without an agent !
Hope this helps
Jane x
Old Aug 18th 2005, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

runtothesun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dizibella
Hi all

Am a subscriber to NZ site, just checking out some info for two mates hoping to emigrate to Oz soon. They've spoken to other mates who have said that they really need to use an agent to help the whole process, but to a tune of £3.5k......... We're half way thru' NZ immigration and doing it entirely ourselves, so my view is you should be able to do it independently and save some of that vital cash! They are both on the skills shortage list for Oz, under 45, no house to sell, no kids to worry about so eminently moveable!!!

What I am asking is this........... is the Oz process so horrendous that you really need an agent to prevent trip-ups, minefields and the like?? The mates that are using an agent have said that you can really come unstuck without one.... but maybe they are simply justifying themselves, eh??

So peeps, what do you reckon?? Thank you on their behalves, and mine as I'm a nosey whatsit and want to know if Oz immo is very different?!!

Diz
Hi All
Just thought I would give you the benefit of my use of an agent. My wife and I applied with an agent in Devon 6 years ago and she made a mess of our application resulting in us being refused. We started applying online ouselves 18 months ago and our visa where granted in Feb this year, so my advice if you can handle form filling do it yourself and just double check everything and save yourself some money. Cheers dave
Old Aug 18th 2005, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

pennycat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by runtothesun
Hi All
Just thought I would give you the benefit of my use of an agent. My wife and I applied with an agent in Devon 6 years ago and she made a mess of our application resulting in us being refused. We started applying online ouselves 18 months ago and our visa where granted in Feb this year, so my advice if you can handle form filling do it yourself and just double check everything and save yourself some money. Cheers dave
I guess it also depends on how coplicated your friends application is. We needed me & hubby, mum & dad and the prospect of piecing this altogether was frightening. Looking back there is definately pieces we could have done off our own back, but thats only because we have learnt as we have gone along. We have used 1stcontact, not cheap, no real frills to speak off but they have done what we paid them to do and that is good enough for me
Old Aug 18th 2005, 7:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dizibella
What I am asking is this........... is the Oz process so horrendous that you really need an agent to prevent trip-ups, minefields and the like??
No

G