Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RAV4 v X-Trail v Forester v ?

RAV4 v X-Trail v Forester v ?

Old Apr 28th 2005, 11:23 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road
Default RAV4 v X-Trail v Forester v ?

Ok people lets here your views! We have a 2L RAV4 which does everything ok. It's economical, practical and works well in the 'burbs but a long weekend trip up to Mudgee and a few hills exposed the limitations. Also a mate wanted to go sand bashing and I thought the lack of power would see us bogged quickly so chickened out (the shame).
I'm tempted by the X-trail but what are your views? The forester, with turbo, would be great but as the Mrs drives it most of the time I'm not so sure.....

All help appreciated
Old Apr 28th 2005, 11:39 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: RAV4 v X-Trail v Forester v ?

5 door rav4?

There was a tv or mag thing a few months ago that had an off-road challenge with all the usual suspects... and a rav4. The rav came out 2nd or 3rd, and even helped tow one of the others out of the mud. I still can`t believe it.

The X-Trail looks great, but don`t know how much room or off-road grunt it has.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dinky
Ok people lets here your views! We have a 2L RAV4 which does everything ok. It's economical, practical and works well in the 'burbs but a long weekend trip up to Mudgee and a few hills exposed the limitations. Also a mate wanted to go sand bashing and I thought the lack of power would see us bogged quickly so chickened out (the shame).
I'm tempted by the X-trail but what are your views? The forester, with turbo, would be great but as the Mrs drives it most of the time I'm not so sure.....

All help appreciated
Thats a difficult choice.

Personally I am in favour of the Scooby as it will do more things well more of the time and its a proper car. Most "soft" roaders are just that, not really designed for off-roading and in reality too heavy for the road hence your experience with lack of power. Nevertheless the Nissan gets very good reviews and if it wasn't so pig ugly then it might be tempting. Of course the Subaru won't be good for sand bashing as it doesn't have the ground clearence (but not sure I would want to use an expensive car for that really anyway). The forester is also no oil painting and you might be better off looking at the Outback (a legacy derivative) which is much better looking and just as practical as the Forester.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

The Rav4 isn't bad ( am owner of one - ' hairdressers car ' - says BP!!!! ), good for the 'burbs ( although not fantastic cornering ). Going anywhere slightly off the beaten track is another matter altogether. We get by with ours ( have had many a 'bone-shaker' moment tho' ).

Looking to get a Landcruiser next - solid, reliable and non-boneshaking!!!!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 11:56 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Stormz
5 door rav4?

There was a tv or mag thing a few months ago that had an off-road challenge with all the usual suspects... and a rav4. The rav came out 2nd or 3rd, and even helped tow one of the others out of the mud. I still can`t believe it.

The X-Trail looks great, but don`t know how much room or off-road grunt it has.

Yep 5 door so less hairdresserish! Can't believe the RAV did so well the 2l v 2.4 lacks power big time!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Mines a 5-door and it's STILL "hairdresser-ish!!!!"

Nice intro to the 4x4 market, but nothing more, nothing less.....
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:23 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

nononononono......

I love my wife`s Rav4 (notice I said it was hers ) . Fast, tough, and looks funky.... and also for sale
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

but seriously... we`d love another rav in Oz... just a 5-door one. But maybe a Toyota Townace / Tarago type car would be better as we have a growing family. I have a Townace here we have to sell soon too
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

muzza is on a distinguished road

All help appreciated
My cousin has the new X-Trail...great looking and on the tarmac, but the fact that they always use her husband's Land Cruiser for anything off-road speaks volumes!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

no contest

Old Apr 28th 2005, 2:53 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

All help appreciated
Go for the Forrester but if you really want serious off road its Patrol or Landcruiser

PJ
Old Apr 29th 2005, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

I went for the MY03 Forester X because the boot space seemed larger than the RAV, and Aircon & ABS come as standard and not optional like the RAV. I liked the look of the X-Trail but when we arrived there were few in the "pre loved" market.

So far so good, a 2.5 L motor gives it enough grunt (but a turbo would be nice). And the lo / high range gear leaver comes in useful as does the hill break system where you can use the foot break as a hand break as long as you keep the clutch down. Not tried it on sand yet, but the Subbie forums recon that as it is lighter that a Landcruser it doesn't get bogged as much.

Papa Z
Old Apr 29th 2005, 1:04 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a new Land Rover Discovery, don't be a prat!!
Old Apr 29th 2005, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

LancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the roughLancashireLass is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Zentack
I went for the MY03 Forester X because the boot space seemed larger than the RAV, and Aircon & ABS come as standard and not optional like the RAV. I liked the look of the X-Trail but when we arrived there were few in the "pre loved" market.

So far so good, a 2.5 L motor gives it enough grunt (but a turbo would be nice). And the lo / high range gear leaver comes in useful as does the hill break system where you can use the foot break as a hand break as long as you keep the clutch down. Not tried it on sand yet, but the Subbie forums recon that as it is lighter that a Landcruser it doesn't get bogged as much.

Papa Z
We have a Forester GT and the turbo does make a very nice difference that surprises many a V8 at the lights and the hill holder is such a good feature. Did OK last weekend across a dry lake bed but stayed well away from the clay parts.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 5:43 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Just take a look at this piccie in the photopost before choosing a Rav4:
stuck
Sorry Hels, nice looking motor though.

Mate's got an XTrail and is very happy with it's abilities - done complete loop of Oz, off road and on. Only complaint is the cabin build quality is a bit rattly.
Forester does seem to get most thumbs up in all the reviews of soft roaders that I've read.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

steveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant futuresteveyp has a brilliant future

All help appreciated
We have an Xtrail with all the bit, Ti-L model... has leather, air, etc.
Great to drive (very car like) and very economical as you can set it to 2WD for normal driving (petrol is now $1.05 a litre average), roomy for it's size, rock solid resale value, best in it's class off-road too.
For the price there is nothing to beat it.
If you are coming to WA I can get you a rather nice discount too! (No i don't work for Nissan i just know where to go!)

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.