Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

rates for admin person

rates for admin person

Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:21 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rates for admin person

I want to get someone to help me admin wise - any idea how much I should pay an hour for someone casual/part time? so an entry level position - not a junior but an adult?

Do the award wages mean anything - I never know what to pay people - none of the job ads seem to say

Vivienne
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rates for admin person

Originally Posted by viviennef
I want to get someone to help me admin wise - any idea how much I should pay an hour for someone casual/part time? so an entry level position - not a junior but an adult?

Do the award wages mean anything - I never know what to pay people - none of the job ads seem to say

Vivienne

If you look up the award for Admin on www.workplace.gov.au you will find the minimum you can pay them - or you could ring them and ask which would be easier.

I am a temp, and my current rate is $24 per hour in Adelaide. For a permanent position I personally would be looking at about $20 to $22 at least - wouldn't work for less than that (but I am worth it ). Dunno if that helps as Adelaide is supposed to pay less.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:30 am

Thanks for that Wendy!

I did look on wageline but am never sure if its real - so they have all these min wages but do people actually pay award?

I dont want to go advertising at a rate that everyone who applies thinks you tight a**e but doesnt tell me!

We are on the Sunshine Coast so I guess rates are lowish here too. I should call some jobs I guess and ask them what they pay too.

Appreciate you answering - will bear it in mind

Vivienne
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Wendy!

I did look on wageline but am never sure if its real - so they have all these min wages but do people actually pay award?

I dont want to go advertising at a rate that everyone who applies thinks you tight a**e but doesnt tell me!

We are on the Sunshine Coast so I guess rates are lowish here too. I should call some jobs I guess and ask them what they pay too.

Vivienne

I have been to a lot of interviews who say how much do you think you should be paid that's why they don't advertise their prices - if they are willing to pay $25 but you ask for $20 they'd just pay you the $20

With the award, I do think people try to go over that amount. It's like a minimum wage, nobody really wants to work for that - but sometimes there's no choice. I've been in that situation and it's OK for a while, but if you work hard IMO you should be paid what you are worth.

So maybe start off at something like $20 per hour and then increase it based on performance? I think something like that is fair to everyone.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Wendy!

Vivienne
Council are advertising for admin staff $28 an hour.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 7:58 pm

Wow - I wont be getting someone at that rate, I might even apply! - that sounds like a really good job. Surely thats office manager or similar rather then entry level? Can you post the link?

My friend is looking for a senior role and would be more than happy with that - government is really great here too in terms of conditions etc

Vivienne
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - I wont be getting someone at that rate, I might even apply! - that sounds like a really good job. Surely thats office manager or similar rather then entry level? Can you post the link?

My friend is looking for a senior role and would be more than happy with that - government is really great here too in terms of conditions etc

Vivienne
They advertise in the local rag. Only noticed it as we had an ad in for staff.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Morning Vivienne,

I have just been looking at the seek site and came across these few ads with rates on in Brisbane.

http://seek.com.au/users/apply/index...JobID=14782191

That one is for $35 - $38k (which is about $20 per hour)

http://seek.com.au/users/apply/index...JobID=14714167

$18 per hour

Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:18 pm

Thank you Wendy! Appreciate it - I think I will copy one of those ads too - saved me 15 mins of brain drain

Vivienne
Old Feb 4th 2009, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you Wendy! Appreciate it - I think I will copy one of those ads too - saved me 15 mins of brain drain

Vivienne

Good plan