Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rat run's in the U.K.

Rat run's in the U.K.

Old Apr 16th 2003, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rat run's in the U.K.

Does anyone have the misfortune to live on a so called rat - run, (short cut for motorists / drivers), this is becoming a major problem U.K.

This is something the returneeeeees can look forward too ...

Do you think we will get 6 trillion cars and artics driving past our homes every day in OZ, nar ... no flukin worries mate

Good luck all,
Old Apr 16th 2003, 11:26 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rat run's in the U.K.

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Does anyone have the misfortune to live on a so called rat - run, (short cut for motorists / drivers), this is becoming a major problem U.K.

Do you think we will get 6 trillion cars and artics driving past our homes every day in OZ, nar ... no flukin worries mate

Good luck all,

Come to the land of plenty all roads are empty in the outback that is .
People have the same crap to deal with here also , theres far to few speed bumps so kids use suburbian roads for drag racing and far to few main roads so come and sample the same things here you seem unable to deal with now.

Old Apr 17th 2003, 1:05 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Good luck all,
Our road gets used as a 'rat-run' to cut out queues at a little one-way system. Even with speed bumps in our road it does no good. My little girl was run over on the May bank holiday last year whilst on the pavement! A car reversed around a parked car, up onto the pavement and backed into the driveway taking my daughter with it. Case was in court last Tuesday and the driver was found guilty on all charges. Can you believe she was still pleading not guilty?
Old Apr 17th 2003, 1:30 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Our road gets used as a 'rat-run' to cut out queues at a little one-way system. Even with speed bumps in our road it does no good. My little girl was run over on the May bank holiday last year whilst on the pavement! A car reversed around a parked car, up onto the pavement and backed into the driveway taking my daughter with it. Case was in court last Tuesday and the driver was found guilty on all charges. Can you believe she was still pleading not guilty?
Bloke I worked with in 1985 (from W Syd) had his 2.5 year son run over by his neighbour backund down his (neighbour) drive way. Serious injury. You can imagine he was very distraught. Fences between drives help.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 1:36 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Megalania
Bloke I worked with in 1985 (from W Syd) had his 2.5 year son run over by his neighbour backund down his (neighbour) drive way. Serious injury. You can imagine he was very distraught. Fences between drives help.
I agree, we all have fences, hedges or walls between the drives but my daughter was on the pavement and had the right of way. Nowhere is safe when you have an a***hole behind the wheel.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 2:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Good luck all,
Lol - no of course it doesn't happen here, nothing ever happens in Aus.
You ought to live where I am at the moment (rental) , it was a very quiet road until recently, next to bush land, but they have built a new estate - and now that's all we get is cars passing our house taking a short cut - handbrake turns in the night, the noise is dreadful some nights. Police sirens.The weekends you have "hoons" racing down the street.

No of course this never happens in Aus though does it? carry on believing what you want.

Cheers
Old Apr 17th 2003, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri
Lol - no of course it doesn't happen here, nothing ever happens in Aus.

No of course this never happens in Aus though does it? carry on believing what you want.

Cheers
Ceri I agree with you.

All I keep reading here is pople escaping UK for reasons that will not happen here, just a few I have so totally LOVED in the past week or so.

To escape Traffic jams.

To escape car hoons.

Escape Dole bludgers.

Escape smog.

Escape drug gangs.

Escape guns.

Escape disease.

Escape rain.

Escape long working hours.

Escape immigrants.

Escape crime.

Last time I checked the only suburb like this was Neighbours.

Real life for me here today, included employee caught red handed stealing $500 worth of goods in broad daylight. Husband working 10 hours to correct job we paid to have done and was never fixed. 30 minute drive to nearest shop because holiday traffic has started to arrive. Visit to sister in law who has Ross river virus (from mosquitoes). Saying goodbye to Indian family recently arrived here and moving back again as they feel racially discriminated against.

Newspaper on my coffee table tells a fine story of gangs on gold coast with drugs and guns. Plus stories of drink driving, road carnage, people living in fear because of a child molester in their street, and people unable to rent because of spiralling poperty prices and high unemployment.

It is raining, however there is not a sign of smog in the sky.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Ceri I agree with you.

All I keep reading here is pople escaping UK for reasons that will not happen here, just a few I have so totally LOVED in the past week or so.

To escape Traffic jams.

To escape car hoons.

Escape Dole bludgers.

Escape smog.

Escape drug gangs.

Escape guns.

Escape disease.

Escape rain.

Escape long working hours.

Escape immigrants.

Escape crime.

Last time I checked the only suburb like this was Neighbours.

Real life for me here today, included employee caught red handed stealing $500 worth of goods in broad daylight. Husband working 10 hours to correct job we paid to have done and was never fixed. 30 minute drive to nearest shop because holiday traffic has started to arrive. Visit to sister in law who has Ross river virus (from mosquitoes). Saying goodbye to Indian family recently arrived here and moving back again as they feel racially discriminated against.

Newspaper on my coffee table tells a fine story of gangs on gold coast with drugs and guns. Plus stories of drink driving, road carnage, people living in fear because of a child molester in their street, and people unable to rent because of spiralling poperty prices and high unemployment.

It is raining, however there is not a sign of smog in the sky.
And you also have row after row of terraced houses twelve foot wide with ten foot gardens in perpetual shade, with no way of parking your car outside your own house? Which we have to pay the small sum of £140,000 for. What would we get for $350,000?

I would be happy with just swapping the pigeons on the phone lines for parrots, never mind the rest of the advantages.

Before you rip me to bits PB et al, I have spent six months in the Brisbane area so I know exactly what I am letting myself in for.

Cheers,

Phil.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 9:34 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Am I the only person on this forum that thinks this perpetual argument about Oz vs. UK is getting just a tad silly?

They are both beautiful countries with many, many advantages to each, many shared problems and many differing problems. Neither place is perfect just as neither are war torn poverty stricken hell holes. And before that gets picked apart, yes, there is poverty all over the world but they are both first world countries (supposedly). No-one on this forum is living in abject poverty or they wouldn't have access to a computer!

By the same token we are all different as people and what will suit one person or family would not suit another. Isn't that all just common sense?

I welcome views and advise about living in Oz because I have never lived there. I want to hear all about it, good and bad. But I'm sick of people trying to out-do each other with stories about why Oz is worse or why the UK is worse. It reeks of living in a rolled up newspaper int middle of motorway! (Monty Python in case you don't know!)

I'll shut up now you'll be glad to hear,
please let's have a little more balance and a lot less arguing, life's too short!

Lizzy:lecture:
Old Apr 17th 2003, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

:lecture:

Hear hear Lizzy

Stop Bloody whinging. Those who want to come back to the UK fine. Do it.

Those who want to go to Aus.
Fine. Do it.

What works for some dosen,t work for others. Everyone wish each other happiness and success in whatever they decide to do and get on with your lives as best you can.
Those who it didnt work out for then you are able to highlight pitfalls.. help others , dont hinder. It could be the best thing for that particular person to go to Oz.
So give it ago, be positive, you never know , it might make you feel Good.

I wait with baited breath for the replies!!!!!!!
Oooeerrr Mrs

BooBoo

Have one on me everyone!!!
Old Apr 17th 2003, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by philj6969
And you also have row after row of terraced houses twelve foot wide with ten foot gardens in perpetual shade, with no way of parking your car outside your own house? Which we have to pay the small sum of £140,000 for. What would we get for $350,000?

I would be happy with just swapping the pigeons on the phone lines for parrots, never mind the rest of the advantages.

Before you rip me to bits PB et al, I have spent six months in the Brisbane area so I know exactly what I am letting myself in for.

Cheers,

Phil.
Sunshine Coast.
For $350,000 here you might scrape into one of the new housing estates, lovely, most houses almost the same, box type design, house so close to your neighbours you can hear them sneeze. Land in these estates as small as 325 sq metres. Estates still avail in this price range would be the outlying areas areas 2 years ago that would not have sold. Buderim where I live would buy you a very old shack that you would need to spend a heap of money on. Our house was valued at $750,000, 5 beds, 2 bath, and very private with creek running down the side of the land however that is a lot of money in an area where the average wage is still $300 a week. Houses closer to the beach start about $500,000 for small terrace type (duplex) see or sniff the water bring your millions.

Cheaper areas you could find nice houses for 350 may include Caboolture Ipswich but I dont know if that is the type of area Immigrants after the dream would be intersted in.

Other states, laugh at that money in Syd/ Melb. Perth seems the bargain one but it is very very isolated. Adelaide has always been know as a bit of a odd state by aussies but it seems to be very poplar with immigrants.

Most of our property has gone up by 80 - 100% in the past 2 years.
Old Apr 18th 2003, 12:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of weeks ago after it had rained a "hoon" in a V8 did a burnout the entire lenth of Mullaloo Drive.

Everyone came out of their houses to see what was going on.

There is no way I would ever have done anything like that when I was younger.

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Come to the land of plenty all roads are empty in the outback that is .
People have the same crap to deal with here also , theres far to few speed bumps so kids use suburbian roads for drag racing and far to few main roads so come and sample the same things here you seem unable to deal with now.

Old Apr 18th 2003, 2:02 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by renth
A couple of weeks ago after it had rained a "hoon" in a V8 did a burnout the entire lenth of Mullaloo Drive.

Everyone came out of their houses to see what was going on.

There is no way I would ever have done anything like that when I was younger.
Well, you city slickers have to learn how to handle the slick somewhere I guess. If you like it slick, try a salt lake, bit of a lick from Perth but you'll find it pretty slick.
Old Apr 18th 2003, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunshine Coast.
For $350,000 here you might scrape into one of the new housing estates, lovely, most houses almost the same, box type design, house so close to your neighbours you can hear them sneeze. Land in these estates as small as 325 sq metres. Estates still avail in this price range would be the outlying areas areas 2 years ago that would not have sold. Buderim where I live would buy you a very old shack that you would need to spend a heap of money on. Our house was valued at $750,000, 5 beds, 2 bath, and very private with creek running down the side of the land however that is a lot of money in an area where the average wage is still $300 a week. Houses closer to the beach start about $500,000 for small terrace type (duplex) see or sniff the water bring your millions.

Cheaper areas you could find nice houses for 350 may include Caboolture Ipswich but I dont know if that is the type of area Immigrants after the dream would be intersted in.

Other states, laugh at that money in Syd/ Melb. Perth seems the bargain one but it is very very isolated. Adelaide has always been know as a bit of a odd state by aussies but it seems to be very poplar with immigrants.

We are interested in buying in the Caboolture area, our 350k will buy us a nice house on acreage, hopefully with a bit left over. Our rellies have sent us the latest realtors brochures and it looks good.

Cheers,

Phil.
Old Apr 18th 2003, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunshine Coast.

Dotty,

Your house is changing in value with every post you make, lol

All the best,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.