Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Range cookers in OZ... is it worth taking one?

Range cookers in OZ... is it worth taking one?

Old Jan 30th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough
Default Range cookers in OZ... is it worth taking one?

I've got a nearly new 1000mm double oven range cooker (gas hob with 8 rings and, 2 ovens and a grill which are all electric), its absolutely great if you're into cooking or like me have 3 hungry kids who often like to cook whilst you're cooking something else.

Is it worth taking to Oz as a lot of cookers I've seen in Oz seem to be 4 ring hobs so I would miss it so much. I have no idea how much would this kinda thing would be to buy in OZ?

The cooker only cost me £495 in the UK as it was a showroom model in B&Q any advice really appreciated!!
Old Jan 30th 2005, 10:44 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Range cookers in OZ... is it worth taking one?

All houses have a cooker fitted as part of the fixtures. If you want to bring it you'll probably have to remodel your kitchen for it to fit into the layout. also you'll need to change the jets to bottled gas[propane] ones as gas is not readily available here as a piped supply.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 10:57 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cresta57
All houses have a cooker fitted as part of the fixtures. If you want to bring it you'll probably have to remodel your kitchen for it to fit into the layout. also you'll need to change the jets to bottled gas[propane] ones as gas is not readily available here as a piped supply.
Sorry to correct you Cresta, but it depends where you live whether there is piped gas or bottled. Some suburbs of Brisbane (not sure about other areas of Australia) have piped gas. I've had it in many suburbs where I've lived in the past.

I do agree with you about probably having to remodel the kitchen to take the cooker, unless, of course, you buy land and build.

As to the original question, I'd certainly be tempted to bring it if it'll pass quarantine. That type of cooker is expensive here.

Old Jan 30th 2005, 11:02 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProofReader
Sorry to correct you Cresta, but it depends where you live whether there is piped gas or bottled. Some suburbs of Brisbane (not sure about other areas of Australia) have piped gas. I've had it in many suburbs where I've lived in the past.

I do agree with you about probably having to remodel the kitchen to take the cooker, unless, of course, you buy land and build.

As to the original question, I'd certainly be tempted to bring it if it'll pass quarantine. That type of cooker is expensive here.

No worries, I meant Australia as a whole had limited piped gas supplies, someone posted the % of homes supplied a while back but I'm blowed if I can find it
Quink where are you?
Old Jan 30th 2005, 11:10 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Pipelines:

Old Jan 30th 2005, 11:21 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Those proposed slurry lines (black dotted) from the coast to the centre of aus ... are they pumping out to the coast or just dumping all the crap in the middle?....
Old Jan 30th 2005, 11:27 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spalen
Those proposed slurry lines (black dotted) from the coast to the centre of aus ... are they pumping out to the coast or just dumping all the crap in the middle?....
Lol! Now you know why so many people get bogged in the middle!

Nice map, Quink.

Old Jan 30th 2005, 11:37 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spalen
Pumping pre-concentrated minerals to ships on the the coast. Cheaper than rail or road transport in some instances.

Err, "(black dotted)" - think that is a legend mistake - probably an alternate proposed gas line.

Last edited by Quinkana; Jan 30th 2005 at 11:42 am.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 12:56 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Having just had a cooker installed in the rented place we are in, its a freestanding one, the plumber said all freestanding ovens need securing to the floor, this one came with a plate which was drilled into the floor first, and then the cooker slid into the plate, something to do with a safety issue.

jenny
Old Jan 30th 2005, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the roughSherie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cresta57

Thanks for all your replies really helpful!!!

We have both propane and natural gas jets for the cooker and fixing chains to secure it in place, and hubbies a builder so we intend building our own house with a big kitchen so refitting the kitchen isn't a problem.

Sounds like it might be worth taking with us if the removals firm say its OK Cheers to you all ,

Sherie
Old Jan 30th 2005, 11:45 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

If you are planning your own kitchen & the gas is the same, I would bring it. Really top quality cookers are expensive here, Im not sure how good a quality yours is, but we are looking to buy one of these

http://www.ilve.com.au/pdf/freestand...estic/M150.pdf (you need to have acrobat reader to look at it)

but I think I will change my mind because of the price - $12,000 :scared: :scared: . Im betting thats one of the most expensive ovens in Oz .

At the other end of the scale, you can get quite nice underbench ovens & cooktops from $1500-$2000 upwards.