Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

rainfall pattern in Sydney

rainfall pattern in Sydney

Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Nicholson_family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rainfall pattern in Sydney

Can you tell me about the rainfall pattern in Sydney. I read that it rains more than 130 days a year, so is that short sharp showers during all seasons? The BBC site indicates that there's between 10 and 15 wet days in every month?

It seems strange that it rains on more days in Sydney than it does in London!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rainfall pattern in Sydney

Doesn't sound right to me.

Sydney does get twice as much rain as London - but it comes all at once. Rains more in the summer than in the winter, tends to dump a lot quite quickly and then there's no more rain for weeks. We go for months without rain.

Current weather isn't typical. It HAS rained a lot this summer (but so it has all along the East Coast due to La Nina) but that's not really usual.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Doesn't sound right to me.

Sydney does get twice as much rain as London - but it comes all at once. Rains more in the summer than in the winter, tends to dump a lot quite quickly and then there's no more rain for weeks. We go for months without rain.

Current weather isn't typical. It HAS rained a lot this summer (but so it has all along the East Coast due to La Nina) but that's not really usual.
Coastal suburbs tend to get more rain than the western part of the city.

In summer, there is more rain in mid to late afternoon compared to other times of the day.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:55 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Try this for factual info -see point # 14

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]!OpenDocument

Also good for any other Aus stats

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Mar 20th 2008 at 11:57 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:59 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

It tends to start high and get progressively lower.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 2:57 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
It tends to start high and get progressively lower.
You'd make a great weather forecaster
Old Mar 21st 2008, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
You'd make a great weather forecaster
Easiest job in the world, just say 'scattered showers' and bugger off to the beach for the rest of the day.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:23 am

Easiest job in the world, just say 'scattered showers' and bugger off to the beach for the rest of the day.

...don't forget the beer
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:27 am

...don't forget the beer
Not this month, 10 days to go until I break the drought. Not that I'm counting ... the minutes ...

I picked a bad month to quit smoking ...
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:46 am

Not this month, 10 days to go until I break the drought. Not that I'm counting ... the minutes ...

I picked a bad month to quit smoking ...
No smokes and no beer

Sun must av gone to your head
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:48 am

No smokes and no beer

Sun must av gone to your head
No sun either, I have been living in the box our fridge came in ... it's the only way I can't get to the fags or booze
Old Mar 21st 2008, 5:59 am

No sun either, I have been living in the box our fridge came in ... it's the only way I can't get to the fags or booze
Self flagellation or martyrdumb
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicholson_family
Can you tell me about the rainfall pattern in Sydney. I read that it rains more than 130 days a year, so is that short sharp showers during all seasons? The BBC site indicates that there's between 10 and 15 wet days in every month?

It seems strange that it rains on more days in Sydney than it does in London!

Sydney gets almost twice the annual rainfall that London gets. However, it tends to come in waves with a few wet days followed by long periods of fine weather. The weather in summer and autumn is semi tropical with heavy downpours that don't usually last long.
Humidity near the coast, even when it is fine, is usually high.