Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

railway signalling

railway signalling

Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

spottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nice
Default railway signalling

I am looking to emigrate to Australia with my wife and 3 young children.

I am looking for employment within Signal Maintenance / New works testing. I have 10 years experience and currently working as a new works signaling tester on various projects in the UK.

I currently hold an IRSE licence in Maintenance testing / verification testing, I have many technical and safety courses in Signalling, including signal works testing modules 3BL / 4. I also have a HNC in Electrical/Electronic Engineering.

Im not sure where to start:
Am I best to try and get a visa under GSM. (Can i class my self as an electrical engineer for this purpose)? I have looked at the skilled occupation list and Im having trouble finding a role that matches my job 100%.

Should I try to get sponsorship from a railway company in oz? Anyone with info of companies that would be interested with someone with my skills please contact me.

Benn.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: railway signalling

Originally Posted by spottyfrog

I am looking for employment within Signal Maintenance / New works testing. I have 10 years experience and currently working as a new works signaling tester on various projects in the UK.

I currently hold an IRSE licence in Maintenance testing / verification testing, I have many technical and safety courses in Signalling, including signal works testing modules 3BL / 4. I also have a HNC in Electrical/Electronic Engineering.

Am I best to try and get a visa under GSM. (Can i class my self as an electrical engineer for this purpose)? I have looked at the skilled occupation list and Im having trouble finding a role that matches my job 100%.

Should I try to get sponsorship from a railway company in oz? Anyone with info of companies that would be interested with someone with my skills please contact me.

Benn.
Do you have any design experience?

If not you're looking at the construction or maintenance companies.

For construction try Leightons, Thiess, laing O Rourke
Maintenance try - Queensland Rail, RailCorp (NSW) or Westnet (WA)

Best first move is always to stick your CV on railwaypeople.com and set up an automatic search to email you any suitable vacancies, you'll also get a feel on there of the recruitment agencies working in australia.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Originally Posted by spottyfrog

Benn.
My Australian husband is in this line of business, please free to drop me a pm.. if I can help further.

Here you are called Signals technicians, my husband is also a qualified electrician which is a must to work on 240.... OH works with sig techs from the UK but they are also having to undergo mature elect. course sponsored by the company.

cheers

Susie

Last edited by siamsusie; Mar 18th 2011 at 4:32 am.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:40 am
Just Joined

spottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nicespottyfrog is just really nice

Originally Posted by siamsusie
please free to drop me a pm.. if I can help further.
Pm sent, thanks.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 5:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bingobob777
Do you have any design experience?

If not you're looking at the construction or maintenance companies.

For construction try Leightons, Thiess, laing O Rourke
Maintenance try - Queensland Rail, RailCorp (NSW) or Westnet (WA)

Best first move is always to stick your CV on railwaypeople.com and set up an automatic search to email you any suitable vacancies, you'll also get a feel on there of the recruitment agencies working in australia.
I don't have design experience. Thanks for the company names, ill send my CV about.

Im already registered on railway people.com so i guess ill just have to keep looking.

Thanks for your response.

Benn.