Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Racism in Queensland?

Racism in Queensland?

Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Sanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really nice
Default Racism in Queensland?

I have been rented for the last two years, here in Brisbane. I have a wife and a new born. My last landlady was a dragon. She detested us from the moment she saw us. Surprisingly, she accepted our application form. During the 6 months we rented our house, she made things very difficult. Visits to the house were unannounced, repairs were slow to be carried out, etc. Our next door neighbour, were fellow Brits, the owner of the property was the same as ours. We began to notice the way in which we were being treated differently to our neighbours. They did not seem to have any problems, as we did. As time went by, it became very clear that they did not seem to like us for some reason. Being of Indian origin, but born and raised in UK, we really did not assume that it was racism. The confirmation that it was, was highlighted the day we left the property. THREE inspectors came to the house (two from the realtor, and the owner herself). One person came to our neighbours house to inspect (the realtor).
During the rental contract, my car had knocked in the garage wall, causing a dent/ hole. This was re-plastered and the complete wall was painted again. I was to later learn that the same had happened to the neighbours' garage wall. They just polyfilled the dent, no paint.
When the trio came to inspect the property for the exit report, they spent 6 hours at the house inspecting (as opposed to 30 minutes at the neighbours, who had three children, as opposed to our one new-born). They failed the report, saying that there were water marks on all the windows in the house (in other words, they wanted us to polish the windows).
The owner also spoke to us in a very derogatory manner, saying that she was not happy with the wall (which was perfectly re-painted and plastered), and then went on to comment that "You people are also the same, coming like swarms". I was absolutely gob-smacked that she had said this! I said nothing, afraid that she was going to withhold our bond, and continued to clean. Finally, we decided that her requests were unreasonable, and left.
She is now claiming for a new wall, new paint (even though we painted and plastered and I have photographic evidence that this was done), a cleaning bill, chemicals for cleaning (even though we cleaned thoroughly), a total cost of $950!! We are fighting it with them presently through the RTA.
Does anyone have any advice they can give me? I have already reported this situation to the Anti-Discrimination Commission Queensland, they are sending me a form to fill out.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Mar 18th 2007, 3:44 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in Queensland?

Originally Posted by Sanj
I have been rented for the last two years, here in Brisbane. I have a wife and a new born. My last landlady was a dragon. She detested us from the moment she saw us. Surprisingly, she accepted our application form. During the 6 months we rented our house, she made things very difficult. Visits to the house were unannounced, repairs were slow to be carried out, etc. Our next door neighbour, were fellow Brits, the owner of the property was the same as ours. We began to notice the way in which we were being treated differently to our neighbours. They did not seem to have any problems, as we did. As time went by, it became very clear that they did not seem to like us for some reason. Being of Indian origin, but born and raised in UK, we really did not assume that it was racism. The confirmation that it was, was highlighted the day we left the property. THREE inspectors came to the house (two from the realtor, and the owner herself). One person came to our neighbours house to inspect (the realtor).
During the rental contract, my car had knocked in the garage wall, causing a dent/ hole. This was re-plastered and the complete wall was painted again. I was to later learn that the same had happened to the neighbours' garage wall. They just polyfilled the dent, no paint.
When the trio came to inspect the property for the exit report, they spent 6 hours at the house inspecting (as opposed to 30 minutes at the neighbours, who had three children, as opposed to our one new-born). They failed the report, saying that there were water marks on all the windows in the house (in other words, they wanted us to polish the windows).
The owner also spoke to us in a very derogatory manner, saying that she was not happy with the wall (which was perfectly re-painted and plastered), and then went on to comment that "You people are also the same, coming like swarms". I was absolutely gob-smacked that she had said this! I said nothing, afraid that she was going to withhold our bond, and continued to clean. Finally, we decided that her requests were unreasonable, and left.
She is now claiming for a new wall, new paint (even though we painted and plastered and I have photographic evidence that this was done), a cleaning bill, chemicals for cleaning (even though we cleaned thoroughly), a total cost of $950!! We are fighting it with them presently through the RTA.
Does anyone have any advice they can give me? I have already reported this situation to the Anti-Discrimination Commission Queensland, they are sending me a form to fill out.
Thanks
Unfortunately there are gits like that everywhere. I think you are quite right to report them to the RTA and ADCQ. By the way, were you given the proper notice of entry by the owner and realtor(ie at least 24 hours for the owner to enter property and a week for inspections)? If not advise RTA of the lack of legally required notice.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for you.

Why don't you invest $100 in a solicitor - possibly a non-white solicitor who might have experience and empathy/sympathy for/of this type of thing?

Real estate agents are the lowest of the low in my experience at the best of times.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 8:04 am
I'd rather be fishin' !!!

Kernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud ofKernow1 has much to be proud of

Hi Sanj

You need to follow this through. There is racism in Oz and you are not the only one to experience it. My brother, a qualified pharmacist at the time of going to Oz some 13 years ago, (now a radiologist consultant in Sydney) worked in a chemist shop and people would not accept prescriptions from him, calling him a Wog. He was extremely distressed (he had his qualifications from the UK and had to do some exams in Oz before he was let lose on the general public) but fortunately his boss, a white elderly Aussie gentleman, just kept him and assured him that people can take their prescriptions somewhere else if they didn't like to accept from him!

In my experience, being of Indian origin too, I found that last time we were in Oz, the owner of the garage we bought our car from, would not talk to me at all. If I answered any of his questions, or asked him one, he would ignore me and look at my husband as if I did not exist. My husband is Cornish.

My point is that in the UK I have never experienced racism or discrimination of any sort but it is very obvious and blatant in Oz. Even my husband experienced it! That does not mean that all Aussies are like that. Far from it, actually. I met some really nice people.

But you have to remember that landlords, all round the world, are nasty. There are some okay ones, but not many. So make sure that you go through your lease with a very fine toothcomb and detail every little thing that you think that the agents and the landlords have breached in their contract with you.

Like someone said, worth paying a solicitor to make your point. Realtors are robbers they look after their client rather than the tenants forgetting that it's the tenants who put money in their coffers and not the landlords!

Good luck.

Jindi
Old Mar 18th 2007, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no advice, except to say that I think the way you have been treated is disgusting and there is no excuse for it. Good luck with getting your money back and yes, I would instruct a solicitor too. They definately should not be allowed to get away with this. I think you did the right thing getting photographic evidence which will show they have no case at all.

Good luck.

emma
Old Mar 18th 2007, 8:39 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Good luck mate.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 10:04 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
just tell her to go and get f#$*ed.shes trying it on.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Sanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really nice

Thanks for all the support, this is great. At least I know I am in the right. The thing that worries me is that the Anti-Discrimination Commission said that I have to PROVE that this lady was being racist. How am I supposed to PROVE this? At the end of the day, it was a comment she made to us, if they need evidence, that would mean I would have had to tape record the conversation??? How could they possibly expect me to do that?? It makes no sense!
Why does the commission insist on making it difficult for victims to report incidents? What should I do?
Old Mar 18th 2007, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Did your wife (or anyone else) witness the comment? If so, statements from any witnesses could be used in evidence. You also mention that you were treated differently to neighbours. The differences in treatment can also be used as evidence.

Emma
Old Mar 18th 2007, 11:05 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Did your wife (or anyone else) witness the comment? If so, statements from any witnesses could be used in evidence. You also mention that you were treated differently to neighbours. The differences in treatment can also be used as evidence.

Emma

Mate, ignore the racism - focus on getting the cash back. You wont change this biggot's mind by your actions. The only thing I can see to be gained by using the racism report is as leverage for the damages ie - drop the damages claim or I'll pursue the racism claim , but putting stuff like that in writing can be prejudicial to a smal claims hearing (which your bond action will end in ), so be careful.

Landlords are crap the world over, so are letting agents. The RTA are toothless. The landlord has breached their agreement by not giving you written notice etc for access but at the end of hte day that counts for nothing against the bond. Review the RTA advice on the bond issue, and pursue that with focus, but i'd drop the racism thing because the effect of that will only be stress for you my friend.

Good luck with it - in a year when the money is forgotten this'll be part of a dim and distant memory, dont let it cloud your life.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

yes, my wife was there when the comments were made. There is no proof of the treatment though. This is just my opinion, I would have thought, but I can demonstrate how I was treated differently. When I said this to the Commission, she said that they could possibly just dislike us personally, and it may have nothing to do with them being racist. I find this silly, how else would a victim PROVE and GIVE EVIDENCE?
Old Mar 18th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

sorry I can't comment on the racism bit but here in Vic we had similar hassle with our first rental. The estate agent was penickity in the extreme...we said we would lodge a complaint re withholding our deposit with the Rental Authority who hold the bonds. Here in Vic, only one bond can be held against a property, therefore with a dispute, it means the landlord cannot relet!
we were prepared to lose our deposit just to make them suffer by stringing it out as long as possible (as they were bloody unreasonable).
we took video footage of our efforts/ the disputed bits, and got our deposit within the week.

Good luck- hope you have success and remember not all people are so small minded.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

If I were you I would prepare a clear and concise statement, detailing all the facts and comments made (including the photographs). This will be helpful in obtaining your bond and the racist complaint (should you decide to go ahead with it).

I agree that you should concentrate on getting back your deposit but I also think that you have nothing to lose by making the complaint re racism if you feel strongly that the comment was racist. Could it be a possibility that the lady was simply a nasty piece of work and my "coming in swarms" she meant immigrants in general whatever their race? I guess either way the comment is racist!

Good luck.

Emma
Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Hello Sanj

How much deposit is owed to you?

For 3 inspectors to spend 6 hours in the house seems very over the top.

If they are on $30 an hour (that seems normal) that would be $540 for an inspection.

Could it be that you have damaged the property more than your admitting to and are using the race card as an excuse?

It just seems a bit odd that your landlord would make a loss on the deal because your Indian.

Keel
Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keel
Hello Sanj

How much deposit is owed to you?

For 3 inspectors to spend 6 hours in the house seems very over the top.

If they are on $30 an hour (that seems normal) that would be $540 for an inspection.

Could it be that you have damaged the property more than your admitting to and are using the race card as an excuse?

It just seems a bit odd that your landlord would make a loss on the deal because your Indian.

Keel
Its a fairly standard thing in Qld to expect the place to be immaculate, no marks at all, no matter how long you've been living there. The Bloke's previous landlord (who was a git, no contract, no bond, highly illegal) complained cos the place wasn't spotless when we left...one of his complaints was that the paint was dirty on the walls. The guy hadn't done any maintenance at all for ELEVEN YEARS! No wonder the paint was dirty! The fuse box was illegal, place was a death trap, but he still expected it to be in A1 condition when we left. I told him to stuff it and muttered the words tax office and RTA at which point he shut up.

Having said that, I now view the bond on this new place as an expendable deposit. i know we will never get the place shiny enough to recover the whole bond, so they can keep it to pay for the cleaning. To be honest if I were in your shoes I'd tell them to keep the bond to sort out what they want sorted, in return for a reference, and walk away.

The racism? Its Qld, it happens. A lot of Qlders, especially from the country areas are not as accustomed to a multi-cultural society as we are and still have that small-town mentality. Thats not racist or insulting, its just fact. Brits have comments made to them, Indians do, Pakistanis do and so on. I'm not condoning it, but it happens and unfortunately we all have to live with it one way or another.

Move out, tell them to keep the bond, get a reference from them for your next place if you need one. THEN start complaining to the RTA and the Commission - the last will be much tougher to get something to stick, but the RTA do have teeth, they are worth going to.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.