Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:22 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Originally Posted by sassenach
I reckon the welsh ,irish ,scots know its a derogatory remark and thats why they alway deny they are a pom and the english just havent woke up to it yet .
I call my self sassenach because thats what i am ,born in england .

So it doesn't bother you that sassenach is used as a term of derogatory abuse?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
I have just read through most of this post and thought this would be a good place to ask this:

My OH is planning to get a tattoo at the top of his back which anyone will be able to read from what i think 20metres away, which will read!

Son Of Scotland

Do you think this would be wise? or will he get a few bashings?
Perhaps he could ask them to write "Prisoner of Mother Scotland"!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:51 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

I didnt get my england tattoo until i got to australia ,somehow living here has made me more proud of the fact i was born in england
I can relate to that.

I have always been proud of my country, yet I was never a patriot. But living in the UK has made me so.

If I had a £ for every joke, quip, and cheap shot I've taken for being Australian, I'd have enough for a flight home - possibly even business class. But it's no big deal; the overwhelming majority of them have been good-natured.

Nevertheless, even after nearly three years of living here, I still get sarcastic "convict" comments. Fortunately, they are easy to dismiss; I merely point out that (a) my father was English and emigrated to Australia in the 60s and (b) my maternal grandfather was English and emgirated to Australia after WWI (in which he served). There are no convicts on either side of my family - and if there were, I'd be proud of the fact (as most Aussies with convict descendents are)!

What does irritate me is when the Poms dismiss the entire population as "a bunch of convicts". This breathtakingly arrogant dismissal of Australia's multicultural society never ceases to amaze me.

Since 25% of Australians are either immigrants or the children of immigrants, the old "convict" jibe is as irrelevant as it is ignorant. I would put it on the same level as the old "Poms don't wash" thing, which I personally find very childish and rather offensive.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

i was always under the impression prisoner of his/her majesty
This is a venerable myth which has been comprehensively debunked on many occasions.

For some strange reason it continues to resurface (possibly because a certain type of English person derives a sneering sense of superiority from it) but hey, that's true of most urban legends.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 7:16 pm
Banned

Wife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond reputeWife Beater has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
This is a venerable myth which has been comprehensively debunked on many occasions.

For some strange reason it continues to resurface (possibly because a certain type of English person derives a sneering sense of superiority from it) but hey, that's true of most urban legends.

The truth is you can't prove nor disprove that. I like the idea that it is true.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 7:45 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
So it doesn't bother you that sassenach is used as a term of derogatory abuse?
How ironic. Sassenach is listed as an enthic slur whilst pom isnt. Made me smile. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ethnic_slurs
Old Nov 24th 2006, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

I can relate to that.

I have always been proud of my country, yet I was never a patriot. But living in the UK has made me so.

If I had a £ for every joke, quip, and cheap shot I've taken for being Australian, I'd have enough for a flight home - possibly even business class. But it's no big deal; the overwhelming majority of them have been good-natured.

Nevertheless, even after nearly three years of living here, I still get sarcastic "convict" comments. Fortunately, they are easy to dismiss; I merely point out that (a) my father was English and emigrated to Australia in the 60s and (b) my maternal grandfather was English and emgirated to Australia after WWI (in which he served). There are no convicts on either side of my family - and if there were, I'd be proud of the fact (as most Aussies with convict descendents are)!

What does irritate me is when the Poms dismiss the entire population as "a bunch of convicts". This breathtakingly arrogant dismissal of Australia's multicultural society never ceases to amaze me.

Since 25% of Australians are either immigrants or the children of immigrants, the old "convict" jibe is as irrelevant as it is ignorant. I would put it on the same level as the old "Poms don't wash" thing, which I personally find very childish and rather offensive.
What is going on here? - And I don't mean this post, I refer to the whole thread. So one eejit gives a lad a bit of verbal for wearing an England shirt - in Australia. No shit !
If we are succesful in getting to Oz, I will be disappointed if I DON'T get called a whinging pom. I'm staggered about the news item where "pom" is being campaigned against. Far too many people are far too sensitive. Part of the attraction of escaping from the UK is the complete PC overkill where you can't say anything.
There are lots of thin skins and narrow shoulders here by the sound of it!.
I don't want to move to Oz and be English, I want to live as an Aussie. Who in their right mind expects the incumbent population to change because they've arrived?
That's what jarrs me off about the UK. If Oz goes the same way, I'll have to look for an alternative destination.
North Korea perhaps?...........

Yours, vented
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:01 pm
Now an expat!

MonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really nice

Originally Posted by nicola411
What really winds me up is the way they constantly call us poms on the radio and tv with reference to the ashes. Cant they at least have a little respect. I cant believe they wouldnt even let the english supporters sit together at the first test. Ridiculous and bad sportmanship I say.
It goes both ways really, SKY TV have been been building up to the Ashes with an advert about Pro's and Cons of test cricket, the Pro's being the English and the Cons obviously the Aussies.

Last edited by MonkeyBoySteve; Nov 24th 2006 at 8:12 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:06 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

lts no more offensive then calling an American a Yank. There was some case recently in OZ where they declared that calling someone a Pom is'nt a racist comment.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 8:06 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Racism - have your kids or you experienced this, mine have?

Originally Posted by Wife Beater
The truth is you can't prove nor disprove that. I like the idea that it is true.
Well yes, I can disprove it.

The original claim is based on the foolish notion that English convicts wore suits emblazoned with the acronym "POM", for "Prisoner Of [His] Majesty" (common alternatives are "POME", for "Prisoner Of Mother England" or "Prisoner Of [Her] Majesty's Empire").

The very fact that we have such varied interpretations of this alleged acronym is evidence itself that the stories accompanying them are apocryphal.

Moreover, these stories collapse under the slighest investigation.

Firstly, the slang terms "Pom" and "Pommy" are found no earlier than 1915 (considerably later than the convict era).

Secondly, convict life is well-documented by a copious amount of historical evidence - from which we learn that the mythical "POM" or "POME" suits never existed.

In fact, as every Australian schoolchild knows, the symbol most closely associated with convicts is a vertical arrow, which appeared on the suits issued to convicts and can still be found on convict-made bricks in Australia (and particularly Tasmania).

See attached for an example; here for an informative link.

Old Nov 24th 2006, 9:32 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you will find it is in the way the word Pom or Pommie is said to you, if anyone says it to me in a harmless joking form I would not be offended at all but it can be said in quite a different way that infers agression/put down and that's when I would be offended.

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
Why would an Englishman be offended at being called a Pom or a Pommie? It's just another one of the many Aussie slang words - it's not derogatory in any way. The Aussies are infamous for their slang, just as the Brits have their own version. Aussies shorten everything - it's just their way. When it comes to sport, the Aussies play the Poms, the Pakies, the Kiwis, the Wogs, etc. There is no disrespect intended. Brits quite opening call Australians Aussies and New Zealanders Kiwis - they are not offended by this and nor should Brits be when it's the other way around.
There will always be exceptions to the rule, when slang is used with an element of menace. To opening insult all Aussies, or any race for that matter, because a handful of them portrait this image is reckless and could well be construed as racism in itself.
By the way, Scots will always be Scots (or Haggis's!!) to the Aussies because Jocks are something boys wear!!
Old Nov 24th 2006, 9:34 pm

And as I said earlier as we are all free immigrants and were never prisoners technically we are not Pom's anyway.

Well yes, I can disprove it.

The original claim is based on the foolish notion that English convicts wore suits emblazoned with the acronym "POM", for "Prisoner Of [His] Majesty" (common alternatives are "POME", for "Prisoner Of Mother England" or "Prisoner Of [Her] Majesty's Empire").

The very fact that we have such varied interpretations of this alleged acronym is evidence itself that the stories accompanying them are apocryphal.

Moreover, these stories collapse under the slighest investigation.

Firstly, the slang terms "Pom" and "Pommy" are found no earlier than 1915 (considerably later than the convict era).

Secondly, convict life is well-documented by a copious amount of historical evidence - from which we learn that the mythical "POM" or "POME" suits never existed.

In fact, as every Australian schoolchild knows, the symbol most closely associated with convicts is a vertical arrow, which appeared on the suits issued to convicts and can still be found on convict-made bricks in Australia (and particularly Tasmania).

See attached for an example; here for an informative link.

Old Nov 24th 2006, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Why not? if he is proud of where he comes from then go for it!
I also see many other things like car reg names with Scotland or other place names, which shows they must want others to know where they come from, or other things like Arsenal etc...
mind you i have seen some real funny ones too, Commando, Utopia ,
daft lass, midlfecrisis!!
Tattoo is hard to remove though and in many places once they realise that there is a large influx of others the original locals start to get restless. Look at Wales with English holiday homes that got burnt and France goes through waves of anti immigrant feeling. The Aussies will soon be becoming a minority due to immigration and mixed marriages but suspect the Aussies will be complacent about it in the long run as they are about most things and not put up a fight.

A number plate or shirt or easy to change if the need arises a tattoo is not.
Old Nov 24th 2006, 10:05 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ali south
Today my son returned from school (non uniform day) on the bus wearing an England shirt. A guy approx 25 years old sat next to him and told him how much he hated the English for taking over the country. My articulate 15 son held his own verbally but the situation could have turned out far worst possibly quite violent after the response Jack gave.

Both my teenagers find the anti English attitude difficult.

Have your kids or you experienced this? How do you cope, what do you say to the kids? We know the history so they have a good verbal comeback but how do you help them through this?
Thanks
Tara
Here's a little anecdote for you...

My former business partner in the UK is a German national married to an Englishwoman. His then 8 year old son attends a local private school, and during the 2002 World Cup the pupils were allowed to go to school early to watch the games.

On the day England met Brazil in the quarter final he sent his son to school in his German strip... Top, shorts & socks... The full monty... :scared:

His son was very quiet when collected by his mother that afternoon and when he got home he took all his clothes off and informed her he would never wear them again...!

As far as I know they still don't know exactly what was said to him, but I guess you don't need to...!

Old Nov 24th 2006, 10:11 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

I can relate to that.

Vash...'The Land that Time Forgot?' Are you in Queensland?

Bruce & Sheila can be extremely arrogant too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.