Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Racism in Brisbane

Racism in Brisbane

Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Sanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really nice
Unhappy Racism in Brisbane

We have been here for nearly four months. We have experienced some racism. Something I have never experienced since my school days, years ago, in the UK. Both being British born Indians, my wife and I were really quite shocked. The first incident happened within the second week of entering Oz (Brisbane). My wife was not feeling well at all, so we visited Royal Brisbane Hospital Emergency. We waited for a couple of hours, after which I asked a Registered Nurse approximately how much longer it would be before we were seen. I was told "Shoudln't be too long, we are a bit short staffed today". I replied "no problem, we'll wait, I understand that you are pretty busy". The nurse responded with "yes, the staff shortage is a real problem, we need more doctors. Not foreign doctors, we need more AUSTRALIAN doctors with AUSTRALIAN training and AUSTRALIAN breeding, NOT foreign ones."
I thought nothing of it, just thought the nurse was patriotic, but I did think, why she repeated the word FOREIGN word a few times.
After a couple of minutes, my wife, who is also an RN, said that she realised why that nurse made those comments. It was because of the Doctor Death scandal. It finally clicked to us both of us that this was the reason. When faced with such racism, I guess we were in such shock, we did not even realise it. It all came together. THe way the woman made the comments, her manner, the absolute hatred in her eyes, it was sad.
We were eventually seen by a doctor, and left. The next day, I went to the hospital and met with the Complaints Manager. I explained the situation and our experiences, and was told that this was unacceptable, she would investigate the matter. For weeks, I did not get any follow up. I called a few times, and had to repeat my conversation several times with other people. Eventually, a month later, another person contacted me. She was from the executive team of the hospital. She apologised profusely, and said that the nurse in question denies the allegations. There was nothing that could be done. That was the end of the matter.
I feel in my heart that there is an under-lying racism factor here. This incident is one of a few that we have experienced. If it was a one-off, I would almost accept it, as there are always going to be people like this in the world, and racism, will never be totally erradicated. But it was not, we have had at least 4 or 5 other seperate incidents of racism. It may be because Brisbane is not as much of a multicultural melting pot as Sydney or Melbourne. Nevertheless it does upset and hurt. I can only hope that thing get better.
it wouldbe interesting to know other people's experiences and thoughts.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:32 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Racism in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Sanj
My wifes experience of racism, is that it was worse for her in the UK, than it is here in Brisbane. But she also copped more down in Sydney, than up here.

I think that it will vary widely, depending on many factors, and in some ways, just on the luck of the draw.

Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Settle down Sanj, the nurse wasn't being racist. If Dr Death had been a white American I'm sure you wouldn't have been so affronted.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Sanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really niceSanj is just really nice

Renth, I am sorry but I think you are missing the point. I also mentioned what her exact comments were. Also the way in which she looked at us. Or should that not be taken into consideration? I also said that it was not an isloated incident. Maybe those factors should be taken too perhaps?
I am totally settled down cheers. Just an observation of what I have seen since I have been here.
You are actually saying that the nurse was not being racist, but you were not present. This is my opinion on the situation, surely that is ok. To have an opinion, that is?
Old Jul 5th 2005, 1:54 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Racism

If you had been ejected from the hospital, denied or given sub-standard treatment because of your Indian ancestry, that would be racism. Sounds like that did not happen.

Perhaps you are hoping to find some racists - keep looking, sure you'll find a few.

Most people dislike most people most of the time.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

hmmm, thanks for the analogy. I guess I should put this down to a nasty person. Funny, as the Complaints manager at the hospital thought it was racism, when I asked her opinion.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 2:03 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

If you felt that this is what they were doing then thats what it was. Its how it is perceived that is important. I do think I'd have felt the same if someone used the word foreign to me 4 times in a sentence, since I dont have an Aussie accent although I have an english complexion (apart from my aussie sunburn).

If you can then put it down to an inappropriate comment and ignore it , hospitals are stressful and will have heightened your senses , that Dr Death thing has had a very damaging effect on the whole of Qld so if there is resentment over 'foreign' doctors in the health service I wouldnt be surprised - but he was American I thought.

There are bigots and idiots the world over, they're not localised to Australia ;-). Australia does seem to be trying hard to combat racism after its pretty poor history - soccer players etc being heavily penalised for any kind of racist comment, positive-racism towards aboriginals/inidigenous peoples etc.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Renth, I am sorry but I think you are missing the point. I also mentioned what her exact comments were. Also the way in which she looked at us. Or should that not be taken into consideration? I also said that it was not an isloated incident. Maybe those factors should be taken too perhaps?
I am totally settled down cheers. Just an observation of what I have seen since I have been here.
You are actually saying that the nurse was not being racist, but you were not present. This is my opinion on the situation, surely that is ok. To have an opinion, that is?

Well, as you are the only one who witnessed the incident, we have to take your word for it that she was being racist. Personally, from your description, it didn't sound that bad. You possibly annoyed her when she was busy.

We had alot worse in Melbourne,

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jul 5th 2005 at 2:06 am.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 2:07 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

That surprises me with the hospital/medical profession here . Most of my doctors have and have been non Australian born, ( been here just over eight years) or of ethnic races . My own Gp is an Indian lady ( non Australian born).

The hospital down near manly where I also popped into once to get a fishing hook removed , the doctor who treated me was Chinese, and most of the other doctors around him that day were also Chinese ( non aussie accents - so were not Aussie born).

The time I did spend in hospital here once ( around a month, two weeks each time for necrosis in a wound -and over a year as an out patient) -my head doctor was Chinese ( sorry don't know the titles of the doctors) was Chinese, the other was Irish, one Zealander and a lot of British nurses . This was in the Mater hospital in Brisbane. There seemed to be more "foreign" doctors than Australian born. All my hospital experiences here as a patient, I have been treated by so called foreigners.

The only thing that I can say, you will find racism is everywhere in the world whether you're "foreign looking" in a western country or "foreign looking" in an Asian country , and this nurse is no different. It could have something to do with Dr Death, a lot of people are very upset about this situation with him and Qld health over this case , and rightly so it is absolutely disgusting that they did not do the right checks on him before employing the man, and what he got away with.

I find there is just as much racism here as a whole from where I was brought up in the UK , but the hospital/medical situation surprises me as there is such a melting pot within the hospitals here from my experiences of being a patient. But there again I do not know what goes on behind the scenes in a working environment situation in the hospitals - I only see it from a customers/ patients eyes.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 5th 2005 at 2:24 am.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:59 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well, as you are the only one who witnessed the incident, we have to take your word for it that she was being racist. Personally, from your description, it didn't sound that bad. You possibly annoyed her when she was busy.

We had alot worse in Melbourne,

JTL
I'm surprised Melbourne was worse. It has such a mix of races I would have thought it was more tolerant.

Ive had the odd comment from poms down here calling me a sweaty sock though.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
I'm surprised Melbourne was worse. It has such a mix of races I would have thought it was more tolerant.

Ive had the odd comment from poms down here calling me a sweaty sock though.
I think it depends on the area/suburb you live in/hang out. When we were in Melbourne we were living right in the middle of the CBD, thus higher chance of meeting people of all sorts, the good and the bad. Here we live in a quiet suburb in the sticks so by comparison, life's been less exciting and suits us fine.

Having said that, the racism we experienced in Melbourne was quite mild (though a bit more blatant than the nurse described above), just the occasional pitiful ignorant rednecks.

Mrs JTL
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:22 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I think it depends on the area/suburb you live in/hang out. When we were in Melbourne we were living right in the middle of the CBD, thus higher chance of meeting people of all sorts, the good and the bad. Here we live in a quiet suburb in the sticks so by comparison, life's been less exciting and suits us fine.

Having said that, the racism we experienced in Melbourne was quite mild (though a bit more blatant than the nurse described above), just the occasional pitiful ignorant rednecks.

Mrs JTL
Sorry to hear that. My experience has been just the opposite, especially in my Melburnian working enviroment, where it's very much a 'live & let live' atmosphere - just as well, as probably about 40-50% of our workforce are Asian/Indian immigrants. Actually we have a good laugh about our cultural similarities/differences, around issues such as our nations' ability/otherwise to play cricket, and the fact that Indian and Yiddisher Moms are *identically* ambitious for their sons. It's clear that everyone gets along well, and hugely respects each other too - very refreshing.

On a personal level, I did get one really nasty anti-semitic comment from someone at a drinks party last Holiday season, but it turned out she was an ignorant bad-tempered p*ss artist with a severe booze problem & a ghastly fascist hubby :scared: , so I ignored it.

Anya.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes comments can be interpreted as racist- but it does depend on your perception and of course how sensitive you feel at the time. This doesn't mean the nurse's comments were OK.

When we first arrived, I was really annoyed at being labelled a whingeing PoM over everything (if I said something minor like 'traffic was bad today') and have had the usual things like 'poms only have one bath a year'. Not quite the same thing as you experienced but all in a similar vein. Unfortunately you either have to laugh it off or get upset.

My other half was being slated over ANZAC day as we (Britain) killed all those Aussie kids on the beaches at Gallipoli. Hub was completely floored as he is Vietnamese/English - the arguees did not see the irony of the Aussie involvement in Vietnam! We have decided it is easiest to just ignore people like that- you will always find ignorant people everywhere, but they are vastly outweighed by the nicer ones.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 8:03 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Sanj, I think you are right. However racism is ignorance and that nurse was just plain ignorant her comments were uncalled for and I doubt you are the first to hear her "opinions" which her manager should tell her to keep to herself while in the workplace.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 8:53 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

A few foreign doctors should be a good thing - bring a different technological culture to draw on.

A hospital full of foreign doctors risks being a Tower of Babel.

I have no problem with hospital staff wanting more locally trained or re-trained doctors. Not having predominantly locally trained doctors is a sign of a local inadequacy of some kind.

I don't have much problem with staff expressing the wish for more locally trained doctors. Talking about it with patients seems merely political.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.