Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

? racism in Australia

Wikiposts

? racism in Australia

Old May 13th 2003, 1:17 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Spot on! What I am saying is, people should not be judged on where they are from, but what they do. If you are a top brain surgeon from Afghanistan, dedicated to saving lives, then my hat goes of to you. If you want to sit on your backside all day, happy to draw our taxes as benefit, then I'm talking about you. Whatever country you are from. (This underlying message has obviously gone over Devlin's head faster than a Red Arrow).
One of our best friends is a Medical Scientist in Perth top level in her job an Aussie girl , her new boss is an Arab who speaks little english and has been in Australia 3 months from Iran ,the apointment was along the lines of we need a more Muti-culture work force in this department .
To say shes a bit upset would not cover it , its PC gone mad.

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 13th 2003 at 2:08 pm.
Old May 13th 2003, 2:04 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

We could all be accused of being racist in one way or another, .

Steve

What exactly is the point of your post if not to confirm petty, unitntelligent little englander stereotypes. What do you consider to be a British person (who feels outnumbered by foreigners entering), presumably the white variety?

The reason people may travel to the UK may well be for economic reasons, presumably not unlike your own for going to OZ. Your arguments seem confused between illegal immigration and a more general rant against foeigners per se.

I am glad you consider yourself not a racist as you have an Albanian friend, is it just the foreigners you don't know that you dislike and fear will mug and rape your children?
Old May 13th 2003, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Steve

What exactly is the point of your post if not to confirm petty, unitntelligent little englander stereotypes. What do you consider to be a British person (who feels outnumbered by foreigners entering), presumably the white variety?

The reason people may travel to the UK may well be for economic reasons, presumably not unlike your own for going to OZ. Your arguments seem confused between illegal immigration and a more general rant against foeigners per se.

I am glad you consider yourself not a racist as you have an Albanian friend, is it just the foreigners you don't know that you dislike and fear will mug and rape your children?

Well said jayr.

Steve's post with its "Anybody who disagrees with what I've said has missed the point and shouldn't be replying either" is diametrically opposed to the whole point of a forum. I sincerely hope that everyone here has their own opinion and can voice it as they see fit. You are not, Steve, and never will be, the last word on any subject of any kind in any place in any world ever. Long may it continue to be that way.

Slippers
Old May 13th 2003, 8:51 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Steve

My point is that political correctness is supossed to make things fair for everyone, but has, unfortunatley, swung things too far the other way. How 'fair' is it when a burglar on my property has more rights than me. How 'fair' is it whe a paedophile can be protected and a childs life can be taken away.

"The reason people may travel to the UK may well be for economic reasons..." true, we give them so much, why shouldn't they come. On entering the UK you don't have to pay rent or council tax, are given food vouchers for free food, a 5000 pound grant for a car, a 1200 pound grant for computer, free schooling, free milk, free legal aid for a solicitor to see what else you can claim for plus money in your hand every week. As a tax payer since the age of sixteen, now self employed, if I am out of work I would have to wait 6 - 10 weeks to hear if I am entitled to anything or not.

"Your arguments seem confused between illegal immigration and a more general rant against foeigners per se...." You obviously missed the bit where I said I have no problem if people have come here for the right reasons.

"Is it just the foreigners you don't know that you dislike and fear will mug and rape your children?..." No, we've got a few of our own as well don't worry. But police reports show that 76% of illegal immigrants and assylum seekers commit a criminal offence within 3 months.

You have definitley missed the bit where I said that, " 'racist' is probably the wrong word to use. It doesn't matter where you come from. It's what you do that will judge you". People use the word 'rasict' to readily, it has nothing to do with race!

Above all else, you have certainly missed the sarcasm.
Old May 13th 2003, 9:10 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Well said jayr.

Steve's post with its "Anybody who disagrees with what I've said has missed the point and shouldn't be replying either" is diametrically opposed to the whole point of a forum. I sincerely hope that everyone here has their own opinion and can voice it as they see fit. You are not, Steve, and never will be, the last word on any subject of any kind in any place in any world ever. Long may it continue to be that way.

Slippers
You obviously haven't understood what I meant, so I'll type a bit slower for you.

Racism (for want of a better word, personally I don't think it's the right word) is in all of us and has been since time began. Once people accept that, we can learn to deal with it. If you don't agree with that, then you are still in denial. So, you've missed the point of what I was trying to say.

I was trying to keep the conversation going, not stop it. And yes, I do want want to hear your opinion but you haven't given a valid one yet. Tell me, how do YOU feel about people who enter YOUR country for the WRONG reasons and live off YOUR taxes? Because, trust me, they are not all ligitimate asylum seekers.

I have never given the intention that I was the last word on any subject and hope I never will be because I don't want to stop learning so don't put words into my mouth. That's one of the reasons that 'racisim' and 'political correctness' has got so out of hand in the first place.
Old May 14th 2003, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think most people believe they are rascist, mainly because they say "I have a friend who is black, hispanic or Albainian" etc. It's comments people make in passing or jest to a freind or whoever that shows their true colours. To me calling someone a wog, paddy or paki etc in passing does make you a idiot foremost and rascist, even though not a extreme one. most of it is ignorance and in tolerance of other race and people whether are of colour or not.
Old May 14th 2003, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

You obviously haven't understood what I meant, so I'll type a bit slower for you.

Racism (for want of a better word, personally I don't think it's the right word) is in all of us and has been since time began. Once people accept that, we can learn to deal with it. If you don't agree with that, then you are still in denial. So, you've missed the point of what I was trying to say.

I was trying to keep the conversation going, not stop it. And yes, I do want want to hear your opinion but you haven't given a valid one yet. Tell me, how do YOU feel about people who enter YOUR country for the WRONG reasons and live off YOUR taxes? Because, trust me, they are not all ligitimate asylum seekers.

I have never given the intention that I was the last word on any subject and hope I never will be because I don't want to stop learning so don't put words into my mouth. That's one of the reasons that 'racisim' and 'political correctness' has got so out of hand in the first place.

Steve,

You have said that you have an Albanian friend and you clearly respect his courage shown in the Bosnian conflict. Once, this guy was a stranger to you. You have shown that by being open-minded, that new friends can be found and respect shared. You have travelled and lived in other countries showing an interest in other cultures. Is it then not possible that by going out to meet more asylum seekers to the UK, making friends with them, hearing about their lives and telling them about yours, that you will overcome your fears about them. You will find, when you emigrate, that there are emigrants to your new country that are from all parts of the world and so there is just no getting away from it. Why not start today - befriend an asylum seeker in your area and find out what they are really like. You may find a new friend, rather than a future mugger and rapist, and prove the ramblings of the right wing in the UK wrong.
Old May 14th 2003, 10:54 am
Badge

Originally posted by Slippers
Steve,

You have said that you have an Albanian friend and you clearly respect his courage shown in the Bosnian conflict. Once, this guy was a stranger to you. You have shown that by being open-minded, that new friends can be found and respect shared. You have travelled and lived in other countries showing an interest in other cultures. Is it then not possible that by going out to meet more asylum seekers to the UK, making friends with them, hearing about their lives and telling them about yours, that you will overcome your fears about them. You will find, when you emigrate, that there are emigrants to your new country that are from all parts of the world and so there is just no getting away from it. Why not start today - befriend an asylum seeker in your area and find out what they are really like. You may find a new friend, rather than a future mugger and rapist, and prove the ramblings of the right wing in the UK wrong.
he is talking about asylum seekers who are not that.....ie the spongers...you still don't get his point!!asylum seekers / migrants OK - people who are here to play a game - no...

Old May 14th 2003, 11:04 am
Bilbo

Originally posted by Slippers
Steve,

About the most sensible post I have yet read on this bloody board.

Old May 14th 2003, 11:27 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
he is talking about asylum seekers who are not that.....ie the spongers...you still don't get his point!!asylum seekers / migrants OK - people who are here to play a game - no...
The UK like most countries has its fair share of spongers, the whole tone of the postings were directed at illegal immigrants, i.e people who are foreign. This is what introduced the race card. Please have a go at people intentionally living off the state (have you paid your taxes lately?) but to direct only at immigrants will lead to accusations of racism.
Old May 14th 2003, 6:30 pm
I Know What's Going On!

......but to direct only at immigrants will lead to accusations of racism.
Well, then that just proves the small mindedness of it all then.

One last time, for the hard of thinking, my comments are not about 'race'. I give up, believe what you want. You can't speak to those who will not listen.

Badgersmount has understood the point.