Is it racism?

Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

rancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is it racism?

Originally Posted by andrew63
Well it's racism by my book.
I have >100 points to get my mortgage here, bank acount, 4 different credit cards, set up a business etc.
Can buy a $600,000 house with large mortgage, $50,000 car loan, pay more than $100,000 per year in taxes, I can buy a $8,000 plasma screen on the never never but can't hire a flippin $4 DVD to watch on it? Give me a break! I could if I was Australian (passport holder)

Andrew (still fuming!)
wow. thats alot of money. you may as well just buy the dvd and be done with it
Old Mar 28th 2006, 3:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
The point is that Vieo-Ezy only allows Australian passport holders to join to rent a stinking $4 DVD game.
No, they dont. If that were the case then anyone that doesnt have a passport (ie lots of australians!) wouldnt be able to join either, which I'm sure is not the case.

If you had had a Qld driving licence (which you can get without an aussie passport), you wouldnt have had a problem. Pretty sure that you didnt require both an aussie passport & a Qld driving licence did you? I think you only require either one or the other. Nothing to do with being Australian, it's to do with the ID they require.

They ask that you conform to their specific (albeit stupid) criteria for proving ID. They never asked if you were Australian did they? They never said that you couldnt join because you were British, did they? They said you didnt have sufficient (for them) ID.

It's got nothing to do with race therefore its not racist. (or is it only me that can see this? )
Old Mar 28th 2006, 4:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
No, they dont. If that were the case then anyone that doesnt have a passport (ie lots of australians!) wouldnt be able to join either, which I'm sure is not the case.

If you had had a Qld driving licence (which you can get without an aussie passport), you wouldnt have had a problem. Pretty sure that you didnt require both an aussie passport & a Qld driving licence did you? I think you only require either one or the other. Nothing to do with being Australian, it's to do with the ID they require.

They ask that you conform to their specific (albeit stupid) criteria for proving ID. They never asked if you were Australian did they? They never said that you couldnt join because you were British, did they? They said you didnt have sufficient (for them) ID.

It's got nothing to do with race therefore its not racist. (or is it only me that can see this? )
Not only you, just a couple of people
Old Mar 28th 2006, 4:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

OK, shoot me down for this, but..... do you live in an area where there are many British/European backpackers?

I lived in Sydney for six years, working for a catering organisation that employed LOADS of people on working holiday visas.

I was ASTOUNDED at the number of backpacking people who - I learned in general conversation- didn't pay their last months rent, didnt pay ANY utility bills for the final three months of living at any give address, and - this is where it is relevant - didn't bother to pay fines (speeding or late video fines) or even return videos (this was before DVDs).

It may be that the store u went to has lost LOADS of money on such people.

It is puzzling tho that you've been able to show them that you have a mortgage here in your name, along with a passport in your name.

I myself am always amazed at how different English-speaking countries do and approach various situations (I live in the UK & California, will return to Oz someday).
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:00 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Andrew, you silly person you.

Fancy not considering Innisfail and the starving kids in Africa, instead daring to comment on something that's ticked you off

Lets see. It's not the store that's at fault, nor the implications involved.

Nope. It's definitely you for raising the issue

Perhaps you should start up a thread about kitchens or something else much more important ....and then let your mates fawn over you and follow you round the forum like little puppies waiting for the master to speak

Jeez, there are some double standards
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy

They ask that you conform to their specific (albeit stupid) criteria for proving ID. They never asked if you were Australian did they? They never said that you couldnt join because you were British, did they?

No. Not at all. Some people just cannot see the difference. This reminds me of what it was sometimes like when I was at college, some students, especially the young ones, were really good finding and playing a constant -ism card, "that is SO unfair, so z so y" - pretty much about anything. (probably because it was the cool thing to say).

They normally grew out of it with experience when they went to work in industry where they learnt to apply it. Even the teachers knew - they used to smirk as well. Of course, being a place of higher education, they had to pretend and take the students serously.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Andrew, you silly person you.

Fancy not considering Innisfail and the starving kids in Africa, instead daring to comment on something that's ticked you off

Lets see. It's not the store that's at fault, nor the implications involved.

Nope. It's definitely you for raising the issue

Perhaps you should start up a thread about kitchens or something else much more important ....and then let your mates fawn over you and follow you round the forum like little puppies waiting for the master to speak

Jeez, there are some double standards
Have to admit, Phoenix, mate you're normally more pragmatic in these situations. Andrew is ticked off, we know, but it's still not racist. That was the point that some of us made.

What double standards? Where? Kitchens, eh? Oh - I've just realised. Are you taking the piss out of MrsD? She's posted the most convincing argument here from the people who think that the shop is not racist. Why make it personal now(!)

Does this make me a puppy? If I am a puppy who follows MrsD around, then good, alot of things she says are on the money, as far as I am concerned. Come on Phoenix, you can do better than that!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:28 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Talk about patronising

Some who *seem* to be the most innocent are indeed the most vitriolic of all. Stirring things in the background. Their vitriol is saved for PM's and nasty karma messages etc....

Not good for business to be seen as anything but

Know anything about it Badge?

Don't forget, I've seen it. I've received it.

Difference being I chose to ignore it.

I do my own bidding thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Is it racism?-how-important-you.jpg  

Last edited by phoenixinoz; Mar 28th 2006 at 8:56 am.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Talk about patronising

Some who *seem* to be the most innocent are indeed the most vitriolic of all. Stirring things in the background. Their vitriol is saved for PM's and nasty karma messages etc....

Not good for business to be seen as anything but

Know anything about it Badge?

Don't forget, I've seen it. I've received it.

Difference being I chose to ignore it.

I do my own bidding thanks.
Haven't got a clue what you're talking about to be honest! sounds like someone got miffed and sent a PM for reasons that are beyond most of us but probably there was a time and place for it. That's what they are for, we don't want dirty laundry in the public, most people are probably not that interested. Its between you 2.

Wasn't trying to be patronising, I've seen some good old posts from you, and enjoyed them, variously, in the past. I thought you were out of character. Admitedly I skimread a lot of posts so do sometimes miss out on details.

(!)