racism

Old Apr 8th 2003, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default racism

My family and I are moving to nz Dec 2003. I was speaking to an native nz would is half Maori and he said that black people were stared at. My wife is black british of carribean parents and my children are both obviously mixed. My wife has said she is not bother but what about my children. Any good sound advice on whether this true or just folly.

Stooly
Old Apr 9th 2003, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Mubo_Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone who is mixed race and travels to NZ from Oz from time to time (DH is a Kiwi) I don't think your children would have any problems in urban areas of NZ as there are plenty of migrants of different nationalities, particularly Auckland.

You may find that they get stared at more in the countryside though but that would be true of the UK as well.

Good luck,
Rachael
Old Apr 9th 2003, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mubo_Guy
As someone who is mixed race and travels to NZ from Oz from time to time (DH is a Kiwi) I don't think your children would have any problems in urban areas of NZ as there are plenty of migrants of different nationalities, particularly Auckland.

You may find that they get stared at more in the countryside though but that would be true of the UK as well.

Good luck,
Rachael

Thank you for reply, we are moving to Tuaranga and feel this is the best thing we are doing has a family. My wife lived in a tiny farm village in lincolnshire until her teens so she'll cope. we are a very strong family and not much bothers us at the moment we live in a small village in Surrey with not many ethnic minorities but this also does'nt bother us. It's just that it's the other side of the world with no support unit.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road
Default Re: racism

Originally posted by stooly
My family and I are moving to nz Dec 2003. I was speaking to an native nz would is half Maori and he said that black people were stared at. My wife is black british of carribean parents and my children are both obviously mixed. My wife has said she is not bother but what about my children. Any good sound advice on whether this true or just folly.

Stooly
This experience is based on Aus - so I know this does not really answer your question for NZ - but hopefully it is related. I was born in Jamaica in the WI, but am white. Before coming to Australia I had heard of the supposed 'racism' of Australians of european descent to non-whites - especially blacks.

After I arrived, I asked a few immigrants who weren't white and was told that in the main the didn't suffer any overt racism. I was told of racist experiences by refugees who had come to Australia but continued to dress in their native clothes - i.e. not 'Aussie' type clothes. So it seems that racism in Australia (and possibly NZ) has more to do with the way you act than the colour of your skin. Also cities seem to be more accepting of different cultures and colours - probably because of the higher ethnic mix.

I hope you and your wife settle in well and enjoy NZ.

AndyH
Old Apr 9th 2003, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks,
My family and I intend to enjoy it to the fulliest. I just love my children and wife and look forward to the adventure we are beginning.