Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Racial Riots In Birmingham..

Racial Riots In Birmingham..

Old Oct 23rd 2005, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

perthukcharlie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Racial Riots In Birmingham..

well i used to work in small heath and boredsley green and a few years ago in Bradford when the race riots was going on there was parts of birmingham with no whites after 10 pm 100 % becouse my xg was a asain girl and we could not get back to hers that night so trust me it goes on big time
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

PJ8025 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Alum Rock Road has had "No White" signs up in the past. These were provided by the council after 9/11 and were up for quite a while.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 3:34 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by perthukcharlie
well i used to work in small heath and boredsley green and a few years ago in Bradford when the race riots was going on there was parts of birmingham with no whites after 10 pm 100 % becouse my xg was a asain girl and we could not get back to hers that night so trust me it goes on big time

i live 2 miles from small heath and drive through everyday and have never seen such signs

I also go through lozells and handsworth regularly but admittedly not at night (but i've seen no signs)

maybe i drive around in blissfull ignorance ...

the race/immingrant issue is not a reason for me wanting to move to aus with my family as i know every country has thier fair share of these issues and it would be stoopid to think otherwise
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jugsy
I live on the outskirts of Birmingham and I work in the city yet these riots won't have any effect on my everyday life. Like a lot of race riots it happened in a predominately black area.
The same sort of thing happens in Australia and the U.S.

I probably wouldn't have known anything about it (apart from the news) and the fact I just happened to be working in A&E last night! T'was a bit scary at point :scared:

Like any riots, high tension with a lot of unnecessary injuries and death.....
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 11:08 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by perthukcharlie
Agree, have seen the signs with my own eyes, and our local taxi firms would not drive you to town through these areas after about 9 or 10 pm, you would pay extra to be driven via another route.
Have also seen the Union Jack being burned in the street in Saltley and Alum Rock.
Carole
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:23 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cam_uk
I'm afriad to say that this is utter tripe

I live in central birmingham (all be it the other side to lozzels) but i have friends caught up in these riots yesterday.

There are no areas with NO WHITES signs alhough its a given with some areas that is safer not to go to after a certain time of night ..

I run what we call an 'after club' here in the city centre (in other words a very late night drinking den with djs) and i see some right sights but we never have racial issues in the club and we have such a mix if clientel that its untrue

Its unfortunate what happened over in lozells but i can honestly say that this would/could happen anywhere in the world, birmingham is one of the most multicutural cities in the UK (if not europe)

LOL , not laughing at you, but at someat I just remembered !!

Ill post it in a thread later

Steve
Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:49 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Never saw no white signs either.....i came from great barr, just a couple of miles out from lozells, had to go through to get home from the city and often stopped there for a curry, never had a problem, though like most things, irrational fear is often of the unknown and if its familiar its more comfortable. A lot of the problems in this area are between rival gangs, who generally only bother eachother, though there is always a risk of innocent passers by being caught up i suppose.
I work in a city centre hospital in brisbane, and the amount of crime related admissions we get here is comparable to brum. There are also no go areas for community nurses here. The city is far more beautiful obviously, but the problems are the same.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:37 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Sorry mate but what a load of utter CRAP !!!!

You are free to display your Union Jack in the uk, and in oz .. only problems ive ever encountered was displaying it in Spain !

WTF has Ramadan got to do with the price of pork fgs ???

Its all about tolerance, and as a Midlander I am fully aware of the issues surrounding, the so called black culture explosion, and issues surrounding racial tension...

What you fail to miss, is Australia is and will increase to be a MultiCultural society.

You are bitchin and whining about stuff you wish to escape from and going from the frying pan into the fire.

I grew up and lived for 20 years in a large council esate, surrounded by the issues ive read here, and albeit i dont accept or tolerate these issues, at the n'th degree, Australia isnt that disimilar.

There are huge racial groups, factions, and "this is my turf " " my side of the street" no go areas. Possibly much more so than within the uk.

The problems with the uk, is the claustrophobia surrounding you when caught up in the violence and the clashes.

Move to Australia, not Escape to Australia !!

Steve
Dunno about timber floors mate, but you are obviously as thick as a plank or two. I have rellies who have lived in Brisbane all their lives and have seen no trouble between the races. The Japanese and chinese who are the majority of non white migrants work, they are not a burden on anyone.

Slater
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Slater
Dunno about timber floors mate, but you are obviously as thick as a plank or two. I have rellies who have lived in Brisbane all their lives and have seen no trouble between the races. The Japanese and chinese who are the majority of non white migrants work, they are not a burden on anyone.

Slater
the ignorance here amazes me sometimes
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:53 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mcmercer
the ignorance here amazes me sometimes
You must be an authority on ignorance, my wife works in a hospital here, there isn't one black person, can you imaging that in the UK. Hey not that we worry,I have good mates back in England, African, and Asian, a couple are coming over to see us in the new year with a view to moving if they like it here, the more the merrier I say. I just hate the ones who want to cream it off of us workers, then call us the infidel and unwashed.

Slater
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Slater
You must be an authority on ignorance, my wife works in a hospital here, there isn't one black person, can you imaging that in the UK. Hey not that we worry,I have good mates back in England, African, and Asian, a couple are coming over to see us in the new year with a view to moving if they like it here, the more the merrier I say. I just hate the ones who want to cream it off of us workers, then call us the infidel and unwashed.

Slater

I am not sure if you are for real or trying to be funny :scared:
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:58 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Never saw no white signs either.....i came from great barr, just a couple of miles out from lozells, had to go through to get home from the city and often stopped there for a curry, never had a problem, though like most things, irrational fear is often of the unknown and if its familiar its more comfortable. A lot of the problems in this area are between rival gangs, who generally only bother eachother, though there is always a risk of innocent passers by being caught up i suppose.
I work in a city centre hospital in brisbane, and the amount of crime related admissions we get here is comparable to brum. There are also no go areas for community nurses here. The city is far more beautiful obviously, but the problems are the same.

Ooh, off topic I know but I'm from Great Barr too How long you been in Oz?

Anyway, I was in town (Brum) Friday and Saturday night and didn't see any trouble, but on our way home we have to come through Perry Barr and there was a lot of police about and areas taped off - it was 2am so the rioting had stopped. There was nothing going on in Brum centre though as far as I know. I used to go to Perry Barr shopping but stopped because there was just too much crime, people getting mugged at cash points and bus stops, peak time as well. Got a bit scary. Not saying that's exclusive to Birmingham or the UK but I wouldn't choose to live in Perry Barr - no offence to anyone who does, just not for me personally, I think it's really gone downhill the last few years. I wouldn't want to live somewhere like that in Australia either. I don't doubt everywhere has it's good and bad parts.

Sorry, I'm rambling...
Old Oct 24th 2005, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markeh
Croker,
It's more interesting that it's actually been reported this time.

According to Good old BBC one "black" man in his 20's killed, four stabbed and 2 shot! all in Lozells.
It's reportedly all about the alleged sexual attack of a "black" 14 year old girl by 2 Asian men.

Bye
Mark

From what I read on the BBC website a 14 year old was allegedly raped. It gave no specifics. I had to look up other sources to get specifics.

It seems that nowadays the BBC is afraid to publish or unable to publish the facts on anything to do with race relations. Unless that is its some nasty BNP (white) carrying out the crime.

Keel
Old Oct 24th 2005, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

The thing about the no whites signs in Alum Rock, well I'm sorry to say that there has been these sign's put up as my mate is a copper and was on patrol on the rock road when the city council workers took them down. This thing about a multi-culture; society, well i for one think it does not exist as you have vast areas where you have one origin of people live in and others in another and so on, with the little bit of a mix of people from different backgrounds living alongside one another but not many. Not really a melting pot more of a separated balti.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 2:55 pm
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by karenjc
The thing about the no whites signs in Alum Rock, well I'm sorry to say that there has been these sign's put up as my mate is a copper and was on patrol on the rock road when the city council workers took them down. This thing about a multi-culture; society, well i for one think it does not exist as you have vast areas where you have one origin of people live in and others in another and so on, with the little bit of a mix of people from different backgrounds living alongside one another but not many. Not really a melting pot more of a separated balti.

I guess it depends on the area

I live in yardley, and have black, asian and chinese neighbours and we all get along fine

I also dj alot in town and see every ethinicity (sp!) mixing and partying without any trouble

I suppose it may well be the poorer areas of birmingham, but even there people seem to get along fine ...

again it may well just be my blissfull ignorance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.