Reload this Page >

Rabbit Proof Fence

Wikiposts

Rabbit Proof Fence

Old Jul 21st 2003, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rabbit Proof Fence

My Canadian wife and I have always enjoyed the odd (some of 'em very odd) Australian film and the latest we checked out was Rabbit Proof Fence this past weekend. We liked it, and I was just wondering what expats in Oz thought about this film and other Australian films.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 6:23 am
Badge

Default Re: Rabbit Proof Fence

Originally posted by TimEh?
My Canadian wife and I have always enjoyed the odd (some of 'em very odd) Australian film and the latest we checked out was Rabbit Proof Fence this past weekend. We liked it, and I was just wondering what expats in Oz thought about this film and other Australian films.
never got around to seeing it unfortunately. There have been quite a spate of "serious films" dealing with the abo stuff recently.

I liked "Australian rules" about the black white relationships that develop in a tiny outback SA town set against a aussie rules club.

There are a few classic, charming, dry, comedies out there that the aussies seem to do best in their repertoire. "The Castle", "the Dish", recently "Crackerjack", which I'm sure will be mentioned now.

badgers

Old Jul 21st 2003, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rabbit Proof Fence

Originally posted by badgersmount
never got around to seeing it unfortunately. There have been quite a spate of "serious films" dealing with the abo stuff recently.

I liked "Australian rules" about the black white relationships that develop in a tiny outback SA town set against a aussie rules club.

There are a few classic, charming, dry, comedies out there that the aussies seem to do best in their repertoire. "The Castle", "the Dish", recently "Crackerjack", which I'm sure will be mentioned now.

badgers
I had forgotten about "The Castle." Yeh, that was a good one. Another one I just though about was a little-known movie (possibly a made-for-TV movie) about German Jews seeking refuge in Britain but then being arrested and shipped out to remote regions of Australia as enemy aliens. It starred Bob Hoskins.

Update:

TITLE: The Dunera Boys
YEAR: 1985
DIR/PROD: Ben Lewin / Bob Weis
LANGUAGE: English
TIME: 151
SOURCE: Starmaker Entertainment, Eatontown, NJ
TEXT: A four hour true story about a group of 2500 Jews who fled Vienna to England seeking refuge from the Germans, only to be suspected of being German spies and informers. They were ultimately shipped to an Australian prison camp, where they set up a university, orchestra, a political parties. Both dramatic and humorous. Originally broadcast as a mini-series on Australian television, starring Bob Hoskins.

Last edited by TimEh?; Jul 21st 2003 at 7:02 am.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 8:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Castle and The Dish were both brilliant. I missed Rabbit-Proof Fence - in the wrong country both times when it was showing in the other! However the book is good, very thought-provoking. I shall get round to seeing it on video one day.
Old Jul 21st 2003, 8:11 am
Badge

My aussie gf made a point about me watching the Castle - she said "we [aussies] are like the movie!!!"

badgers

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

sdwis is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw the movie Rabbit Proof Fence (a true story) about a month ago on pay tv in the US. It was wonderful, sad, thought-provoking and amazing. What I liked most of all is the spirit, wit, and survival skills of the Aboriginal girls, and the fact that the events that occurred in their lives never broke their spirit which allowed them to persevere and live long lives in spite of what had happened to them.

If you get the chance, please check it out.

Last edited by sdwis; Jul 22nd 2003 at 7:25 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:30 am

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sdwis
I saw the movie Rabbit Proof Fence (a true story) about a month ago on pay tv in the US. It was wonderful, sad, thought-provoking and amazing. What I liked most of all is the spirit, wit, and survival skills of the Aboriginal girls, and the fact that the events that occurred in their lives never broke their spirit which allowed them to persevere and live long lives in spite of what had happened to them.

If you get the chance, please check it out.

brilliant film, must see!

kev
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Agree that Rabbit Proof Fence is a must see for anyone heading down under. Brilliant, disturbing, sobering, distressing.