Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RAAF Richmond near Sydney

RAAF Richmond near Sydney

Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:24 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RAAF Richmond near Sydney

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Yes, walking to work would be great......but if you work in one of those massive industrial estates - you need a car just to cross the road.

your getting too clever with your answers lassie
your right. we drove out to the hills dist. to have a look, it was nice but even the kids would need a car each to get to school
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Think migrants from UK have this fascination with sandy beaches, hot sultry weather, 4x4's and 4x2's with a pool out the back. Once they get here then they will find reality is somewhat different.
Yes, I have noticed that migrants who sell well in the UK often buy a house with pool and then 4WD - usually the Disco - that was out of reach in the UK - but if that's your dream, why not. For sultry weather, they'd need to be a lot further north than Sydney, in my experience so far . But for house/pool/4WD combo in Sydney......you need a lot of cash and pref. a good job too.....to be honest - oh, and especially if that all has to be near the beach too!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:30 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have noticed that migrants who sell well in the UK often buy a house with pool and then 4WD - usually the Disco - that was out of reach in the UK - but if that's your dream, why not. For sultry weather, they'd need to be a lot further north than Sydney, in my experience so far . But for house/pool/4WD combo in Sydney......you need a lot of cash and pref. a good job too.....to be honest - oh, and especially if that all has to be near the beach too!
cool, that means ive got the t-shirt
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by soapy

your getting too clever with your answers lassie
your right. we drove out to the hills dist. to have a look, it was nice but even the kids would need a car each to get to school
I thought you were all happy down there in Maroubra. We also had a look at the Castle Hill area...and it's nice...but husband will commute. We already have roots in this area - oh, ok, - mini-roots!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soapy
cool, that means ive got the t-shirt

We don't even have the t-shirt
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:34 pm
Master of verbal pish©

We don't even have the t-shirt
ill lend u mine if u turn up on saturday....if its not too far to go
Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Well they'd have to be on a good whack I'd say ABC. Any idea at what level of income its reduced or stopped at?

I know some benefits recently handed down you can't get unless you are on at least $50,000 which seems ludicrous to me as the less you earn the more assistance you need, not the other way around. But then we have a Liberal govt in Canberra don't we?
It depends on how many children they have, and whether both parents work.

FTB-A is reduced to the base rate at $44,292 with 1 child or $117,347 with 6 kids. It cuts out completley at $89,803 and $141,766 respectively

The base rate is only $42.98 per fortnight, with a maximum rate of $169.40 per fortnight (child age related). These are per child.

FTB-B provides up to $114.66 per fortnight, but is for single income families.

I'm not sure which benefit you are referring to where you need to be earning at least $50,000 py ? Can you let me know, as I like to keep up to date with these things

Old Mar 27th 2005, 9:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by halflinggirl2000
Someone mentioned Penrith and area when thinking of richmond, any thoughts anyone. Interested in your thoughts as we are also in aviation job search/area looking mode, also thinking of newcastle area nsw#

cheers halflinggirl
Penrith is also near to Richmond, and my wife loves the Penrith shopping centre

It's really a case of looking around to see if it suits each individual.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Strathfield/Fairfield are industrial type areas but Geez who wants to live out there. Miles from anywhere.
Strathfield is not an industrial type area. It is an upmarket residential suburb, famed for it's large Federation houses and private schools. It is not miles from anywhere but approx 20mins train ride from Central.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

greggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of lightgreggsy is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: RAAF Richmond near Sydney

Greggsy here again thanks to everyone for there opinions even if some did to seem to be having an internal argument between themselves made interesting reading .
We are most definately going to think very carefully before moving out to Aussie, i think we will start by going to Ferny Grove in Brisbane where my sister lives. It sounds more relaxed, cheaper houses and its free to stay at, if things dont work out maybe look to Sydney afterwards.
We will have enough to buy a decent house in Brisbane which we could always rent out if we moved on at a later date, once again thanks to all for your comments.
cheers
Greggsy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:19 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I suppose I should have said "St Clair to Windsor was a 20-25 minute drive in peak times, 2 years ago" - BUT, you haven't seen how my wife drives !!

Those temp differences will be similar to the coast and inland up here, which is why I now say "It's cooler in QLD" )
He he. There are a lot of new housing estates up NW and little in the way of public transport for them. Hence the increase in traffic. That does mean plenty of choice of new housing. Just make sure proper checks are done as a lot are bodgy build your owns.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:55 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greggsy
Greggsy here,

Been reading old threads on RAAF Richmond near Sydney and seen some worrying things about cost of living and particularly crime :scared: . I am starting to believe the only reason Qantas are getting brits to work there is because no locals would take the pay of $40,000 (approx) or want to live too near these areas. Am i getting the wrong end of the stick or is this probably not a good move. Your advice would be very helpful as i do not want to move my wife and my 2.5 year old daughter all that way to somewhere not too good. Look forward to your reply's
Greggsy
Hi Greggsy

Just wondering if you've made any decisions about RAAF Richmond yet? My hubby has just applied to go there and we've been told they're sorting out interviews this week so hopefully we'll hear something soon. We've also got a daughter (5 years old) so don't want to do anything which could be wrong for her. Money doesn't sound too good I know but the upside is that they pay for everything - Visa, Removals etc etc. I'm trying to do a bit of research online about the Base and the area but hitting a bit of a brick wall in all honesty - any help appreciated!

Cheers

Ty!
Old Apr 11th 2005, 6:26 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greggsy
Greggsy here,

Been reading old threads on RAAF Richmond near Sydney and seen some worrying things about cost of living and particularly crime :scared: . I am starting to believe the only reason Qantas are getting brits to work there is because no locals would take the pay of $40,000 (approx) or want to live too near these areas. Am i getting the wrong end of the stick or is this probably not a good move. Your advice would be very helpful as i do not want to move my wife and my 2.5 year old daughter all that way to somewhere not too good. Look forward to your reply's
Greggsy
Hubby has just received an email from Qantas offering an interview in two weeks time!! :scared:

What stage are you at Greggsy?

Ty!
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tygwyn
Hubby has just received an email from Qantas offering an interview in two weeks time!! :scared:

What stage are you at Greggsy?

Ty!
FOR GODS SAKE DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:37 am
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by wafoo1
FOR GODS SAKE DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That sounds bad, dont leave them hanging like that, they will be feeling devastated if you dont give them any reasons for what you said. I know that I need to know.

Nicky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.