Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

r they have to repeat the whole year?

r they have to repeat the whole year?

Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

samanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default r they have to repeat the whole year?

hello everybody
I read in somewhere that if the students in primary school begin in the 3rd or 4th term they have to repeat the whole year. For example my daughter may be start her education in year 3 in the 3rd term (in this time she will be already finish year 3 in our country) that is mean she have to complete 3rd and 4th term and then begin year 3 again from the beginning is that true ??? please help
thank u
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: r they have to repeat the whole year?

There is no compulsory rule to repeat.

The academic year starts in a different place to the UK, and hence cutoff points for children varies accordingly.

For us, our daughter (May birthday) went back a year, as she was too young according to the local rules for the year group that she had left in the UK.

For a proper answer, you need to give dob of your children and which state, as I recall the rules vary.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
There is no compulsory rule to repeat.

The academic year starts in a different place to the UK, and hence cutoff points for children varies accordingly.

For us, our daughter (May birthday) went back a year, as she was too young according to the local rules for the year group that she had left in the UK.

For a proper answer, you need to give dob of your children and which state, as I recall the rules vary.
hi ValeSpark
thank you very much
we will go to Sydney or Melbourne dob of my daughters are 8th August 2002 and 14th October 2004.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

My daughter started school in the middle of year 6 term 4. She was only in year 6 for about 4 weeks but there was no problem with her starting at that point. Shes now in year 10 and there is always new kids starting during the year. We are in WA.
Tracie
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samanada
hi ValeSpark
thank you very much
we will go to Sydney or Melbourne dob of my daughters are 8th August 2002 and 14th October 2004.
Ok, we are in Melbourne, so I would assume that your daughter aug 2002, will go back one school year, and the other will remain in the same school year as current.

Our daughter May 99, should be in year 5. She was year 6 in UK. Cut-off date was end of April. However, we have gone to a small private school and they have kept her in a year 6 group to maintain the same academic level.

If my mental maths are correct, your daughter aug 2002, will go from being on of the youngest in year 3 (UK) to be middle of the age range in a year 2 class in Oz.

Your other daughter, is in reception? She may not be going into school her until February next year, and then only into prep.

Be very careful of your children getting bored, it caused us major problems. If your kids have been in nursery and then into prep at 4/5, you may find they are significantly more adapted to schooling than local kids, some of which do not start school until they are 6

Peter
Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
My daughter started school in the middle of year 6 term 4. She was only in year 6 for about 4 weeks but there was no problem with her starting at that point. Shes now in year 10 and there is always new kids starting during the year. We are in WA.
Tracie
hi breezeboylan
thank u very much
u mean ur daughter was only 4 weeks in year 6 and next year had been in year 7 ? . what I have been read is the students could go to school at any time in the year but if go late they have to repeat this year.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Ok, we are in Melbourne, so I would assume that your daughter aug 2002, will go back one school year, and the other will remain in the same school year as current.

Our daughter May 99, should be in year 5. She was year 6 in UK. Cut-off date was end of April. However, we have gone to a small private school and they have kept her in a year 6 group to maintain the same academic level.

If my mental maths are correct, your daughter aug 2002, will go from being on of the youngest in year 3 (UK) to be middle of the age range in a year 2 class in Oz.

Your other daughter, is in reception? She may not be going into school her until February next year, and then only into prep.

Be very careful of your children getting bored, it caused us major problems. If your kids have been in nursery and then into prep at 4/5, you may find they are significantly more adapted to schooling than local kids, some of which do not start school until they are 6

Peter
hi ValeSpark
We r from Egypt my daughters are in private language school. and I intend to enroll them in state school in Australia. In Egypt the the school year begins in September and ends in June my daughter will turn 8 in august 2010 and start year 3 which will start in September 2010. When I did the calculations the result is she could start year 3 in February 2011 that is mean she will not go back a year all a ask about if she couldn't start year 3 from the beginning and go late I read she have to repeat year 3 not because of age but because of starting late .
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Peter
Your daughter with dob in 2004 is almost identical in age to my daughter who is in Prep this year.........
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:11 am
ABCDiamond

what I have been read is the students could go to school at any time in the year but if go late they have to repeat this year.
Can you show us where it says that ?

Victoria 'may' be different, but it isn't something I have seen in NSW or QLD, and breezeboylan seems to say it isn't done in WA.

Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Can you show us where it says that ?

Victoria 'may' be different, but it isn't something I have seen in NSW or QLD, and breezeboylan seems to say it isn't done in WA.
hi ABCDiamond
thank u very much
I read this in another forum I couldn't find it now. I feel this very weird and I want to know is that true or false ??
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

My kids will finish years 2, 3 and 6 next week and when we go back to Australia over the next couple of months, they will continue in those grades until the end of the Australian school year. In January they will then go into the next year level.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Kids are going to be placed with their age cohort and progress through the grades with their age cohort.

When you are coming from overseas there is no "repeat" at all because the Australian system is a totally different system with different expectations and different nomenclature.

The only state AFAIK which has a sort of consolidation for kids who enter the first year of full time primary school late in the year is SA because they have continuous enrolment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kim67
My kids will finish years 2, 3 and 6 next week and when we go back to Australia over the next couple of months, they will continue in those grades until the end of the Australian school year. In January they will then go into the next year level.
Originally Posted by quoll
Kids are going to be placed with their age cohort and progress through the grades with their age cohort.

When you are coming from overseas there is no "repeat" at all because the Australian system is a totally different system with different expectations and different nomenclature.

The only state AFAIK which has a sort of consolidation for kids who enter the first year of full time primary school late in the year is SA because they have continuous enrolment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia

that is very good news
thank you very much for ur help
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

hi breezeboylan
thank u very much
u mean ur daughter was only 4 weeks in year 6 and next year had been in year 7 ? . what I have been read is the students could go to school at any time in the year but if go late they have to repeat this year.

Yep, she did the last 4 weeks of year 6 only and then broke up for the summer holidays and returned in the new year in year 7. I could have just waited and started her in year 7 but thought the 4 weeks would give her a chance to make friends and know people for the summer holidays. It worked a treat, she had lots of friends all over summer and that resulted in her settling in really well.
Tracie
Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

hello everybody
I read in somewhere that if the students in primary school begin in the 3rd or 4th term they have to repeat the whole year. For example my daughter may be start her education in year 3 in the 3rd term (in this time she will be already finish year 3 in our country) that is mean she have to complete 3rd and 4th term and then begin year 3 again from the beginning is that true ??? please help
thank u
If her grasp of english is like yours I think it might be a good idea for her to repeat a year

oooooooooooooooo sorry had to do it, reading over your post before you make it can really help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.