Quorn

Old Jul 19th 2007, 4:16 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quorn

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Contrary to popular belief Quorn isnt made from mushrooms, it is a naturally occuring mold grown in huge vats, and is actually a microprotien. Indeed one scientist famously said about quorn "Mycoprotein is as close to mushrooms as human beings are to jellyfish,"

Sadly its not available over here, but there are some good alternatives, some bloody poor ones too, its a matter of trying them and seeing which one you prefer.

As I said, clever advertising. It's essentially mushroom and www.quorn.com even state that. http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/ng...quorn-a-fungus for more details.
Bon appetite

Andrew
Old Jul 19th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rkh001
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy quorn in Oz? I asked the girl at the healthfood shop and looked at me like I was from another planet

Thanks.
We got corn-on-the-cob downunder............. is that any good?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Contrary to popular belief Quorn isnt made from mushrooms, it is a naturally occuring mold grown in huge vats, and is actually a microprotien. Indeed one scientist famously said about quorn "Mycoprotein is as close to mushrooms as human beings are to jellyfish,"

Sadly its not available over here, but there are some good alternatives, some bloody poor ones too, its a matter of trying them and seeing which one you prefer.
Thats kind of put me off quorn now - and we are really into it too - im quite surprised that its not sold in australia
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:36 pm
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

I emailed a South African company called Fry's a while ago and asked if they distribute their (similar to Quorn) products in Oz. They do but they passed my details onto their Australian distributor to let me know where they are stocked but he hasnt got back to me yet.

At least we know there are alternatives.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

I have bought quorn once, I saw it in a Russian Deli at the Centro Park shopping centre in Nerang on the Gold Coast. I have never seen it in the major stores. I have looked for it for years.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Why don't we all keep contacting the company asking them to sell over here? I've just contacted them via their website saying there is a big market here for them. If lots of people contact them maybe it will help? Can't hurt.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mbike
Hi,

We don't really eat many of the sausages and things, I was just helping out the respondant. We tend to buy as much organic as we can realistically source - which uses involves a weekly trip to Peaches in South Freo. We are not vegetarians but simply don't eat meat, so we have a great selection of fish on offer here compared to the UK. (Anyone in Perth who wants to see how good the fish is should go to SeaFresh in Innaloo). We also always buy organic or bio-dynamic tofu and tempeh (Tally-ho brand I think)

Mark
Thanks for that.
I'm really interested in veggies who eat alot of the processed stuff.
I'm with you on the organic front. Is it not that big over in Perth then? Havent eaten meat, fish or dairy for years but been told I should despite a good diet. Trying to get my head round eating fish at the mo - its an odd thought.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

G'day

Quorn is a small town in South Australia, NNE of Adelaide.

It is where they made the movie "Sunday, Too far away" starring Jack Thompson.

The whole town is probably for sale.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:58 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

I stopped using Quorn a few years ago when I found out that they use battery farmed eggs

When I spoke to them they used the age old excuse that they couldn't source enough free range eggs ( although I'm sure with their profits they could have started their own free range farm ).
Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:06 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
As I said, clever advertising. It's essentially mushroom and www.quorn.com even state that. http://www.foodnavigator.com/news/ng...quorn-a-fungus for more details.
Bon appetite

Andrew
Does it really matter ? At the end of the day people eat KFC and dont seem to give a crap where the actual produce comes from or how its produced whereas personally I'd rather go hungry than to eat it.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 6:29 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Does it really matter ? At the end of the day people eat KFC and dont seem to give a crap where the actual produce comes from or how its produced whereas personally I'd rather go hungry than to eat it.
Nope, it doesn't matter. Just hate seeing people taken for a ride. Most veggies I know are in it for the "pureness" and naturalness (? word exists) of the food. Quorn is akin to giant mushrooms grown in liquid state boosted by steroids.
KFC - now that scares me! Think I would rather eat Quorn!

Mind you, a friend of mine here supplies maccers with their beef and that's interesting! They buy the cheapest "best" cuts and also 25% fat to mix in themselves!

At least the fast food guys have stopped making their chips/fries in animal (pork) fat which again, many veggies have been eating for years thinking chips are fine! Potatoes are cool. It was actually a muslim in the US who sued Maccers when he found it out he had been eating chips deep fried in pork fat. I think they all use veggie oil now.

Andrew
Old Jul 20th 2007, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Nope, it doesn't matter. Just hate seeing people taken for a ride. Most veggies I know are in it for the "pureness" and naturalness (? word exists) of the food. Quorn is akin to giant mushrooms grown in liquid state boosted by steroids.
KFC - now that scares me! Think I would rather eat Quorn!

Mind you, a friend of mine here supplies maccers with their beef and that's interesting! They buy the cheapest "best" cuts and also 25% fat to mix in themselves!

At least the fast food guys have stopped making their chips/fries in animal (pork) fat which again, many veggies have been eating for years thinking chips are fine! Potatoes are cool. It was actually a muslim in the US who sued Maccers when he found it out he had been eating chips deep fried in pork fat. I think they all use veggie oil now.

Andrew
I agree Quorn is a non food really - hardly nice n natural is it.
Most non fast food places have used veg oil for years, the odd chippy may have used lard still but few n far between.
Did the muslim man sue succesfully then?
Here in oz though alot of places do use non veg oil for frying still.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Thanks for that.
I'm really interested in veggies who eat alot of the processed stuff.
I'm with you on the organic front. Is it not that big over in Perth then? Havent eaten meat, fish or dairy for years but been told I should despite a good diet. Trying to get my head round eating fish at the mo - its an odd thought.
Give me a bacon butty any day!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Give me a bacon butty any day!
I liked them as a kid but I'd puke if I ate one now
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
I liked them as a kid but I'd puke if I ate one now
The doc says a bacon butty is no good for my health......... but what the hell?

I quit working in Algeria once because we couldn't get bacon on the menu....... plus it was a crap place to boot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.