British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Quorn (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/quorn-467234/)

rkh001 Jul 18th 2007 10:26 pm

Quorn

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy quorn in Oz? I asked the girl at the healthfood shop and looked at me like I was from another planet :)

Thanks.

windog Jul 18th 2007 10:32 pm

Re: Quorn

Originally Posted by rkh001 (Post 5075088)
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to buy quorn in Oz? I asked the girl at the healthfood shop and looked at me like I was from another planet :)

Thanks.

But......Why would you want to?:D

Sue from Manchester Jul 18th 2007 10:56 pm

No you can't. I tried contacting the company and was told they had no plans to expand into Australia. I really miss it. As we have one veggie in a family of meatasaurus it was really convenient to make the same dish for everyone and just pop quorn in one pan and meat in another.

rkh001 Jul 18th 2007 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by windog (Post 5075107)
But......Why would you want to?:D

Because I am vegetarian...:D

birdynumnum Jul 19th 2007 12:15 am

Originally Posted by rkh001 (Post 5075227)
Because I am vegetarian...:D

No you cant get it here.

matt-and-jenny Jul 19th 2007 12:19 am

I also miss quorn. I'm a meat eater, but preferred Quorn burgers to meat ones.
J

DCI Gene Hunt Jul 19th 2007 1:09 am

I haven't seen Quorn, but there's a good quuorn substitue called 'Meat' that you can find at most butcher's/supermarkets.:p

mbike Jul 19th 2007 3:03 am

Originally Posted by rkh001 (Post 5075088)

Thanks.

No you can't. But a bit of trial and error with alternatives will help you get close. FWIW the Veggie Delight (green Packet) BBQ sausages are good, the Vege (sp) Delight (red packet) bacon rashers are good. Veggie Delight mince is ok-ish. Health food shops have a lot of dried TVP which is a useful additional to spag bol etc. The revelation over here is the variety of tofu and other beancurd products in supermarkets and oriental grocers - if you can cook and have a wok you won't starve. A good quick intro is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu

Have fun

Mark

andrew63 Jul 19th 2007 3:04 am

You can get natural quorn here, it is called mushrooms.
Quorn is to mushroom as chicken nugget is to chicken.

Very clever marketing

Andrew

birdynumnum Jul 19th 2007 3:13 am

Originally Posted by mbike (Post 5075748)
No you can't. But a bit of trial and error with alternatives will help you get close. FWIW the Veggie Delight (green Packet) BBQ sausages are good, the Vege (sp) Delight (red packet) bacon rashers are good. Veggie Delight mince is ok-ish. Health food shops have a lot of dried TVP which is a useful additional to spag bol etc. The revelation over here is the variety of tofu and other beancurd products in supermarkets and oriental grocers - if you can cook and have a wok you won't starve. A good quick intro is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu

Have fun

Mark

If you're a veggie (or not) & eating all the sausages etc - so many of them contain all sorts of cack.
All the veggies out there, purley for my own interest - would you say you are health conscious & take a note of how processed the food you eat is?
Also, make sure any tofu is organic and so gm/ge free :)

adriang Jul 19th 2007 8:53 am

There is stuff for sale in Coles and Wollies that is the closest I've come across. Its made by a company called Sanitarium (used to get them in Holland and Germany too). Things like the mince substitute, saussies, that kind of thing.

rkh001 Jul 19th 2007 9:59 am

Thanks everyone.

Jin

mbike Jul 19th 2007 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by birdynumnum (Post 5075777)
If you're a veggie (or not) & eating all the sausages etc - so many of them contain all sorts of cack.
All the veggies out there, purley for my own interest - would you say you are health conscious & take a note of how processed the food you eat is?
Also, make sure any tofu is organic and so gm/ge free :)

Hi,

We don't really eat many of the sausages and things, I was just helping out the respondant. We tend to buy as much organic as we can realistically source - which uses involves a weekly trip to Peaches in South Freo. We are not vegetarians but simply don't eat meat, so we have a great selection of fish on offer here compared to the UK. (Anyone in Perth who wants to see how good the fish is should go to SeaFresh in Innaloo). We also always buy organic or bio-dynamic tofu and tempeh (Tally-ho brand I think)

Mark

Nu-Shooz Jul 19th 2007 12:36 pm

I don't think Quorn is as popular now as what is was even in the UK.

Never seen it in OZ.

CadburysFingers Jul 19th 2007 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by andrew63 (Post 5075750)
You can get natural quorn here, it is called mushrooms.
Quorn is to mushroom as chicken nugget is to chicken.

Very clever marketing

Andrew

Contrary to popular belief Quorn isnt made from mushrooms, it is a naturally occuring mold grown in huge vats, and is actually a microprotien. Indeed one scientist famously said about quorn "Mycoprotein is as close to mushrooms as human beings are to jellyfish,"

Sadly its not available over here, but there are some good alternatives, some bloody poor ones too, its a matter of trying them and seeing which one you prefer.