Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quinns Rocks Tragedy

Quinns Rocks Tragedy

Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:43 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Quinns Rocks Tragedy

One man died and another was missing last night after a fishing trip for four workmates off Quinns Rocks went tragically wrong when their boat capsized and sank.

When I got up yesterday I could see how big the surf was, sadly for these people it cost them their lives.

The article says "The dead man was believed to have lived in WA for about a year while the missing man, 42, had been in WA for two months." I don't know if this means they were eastern staters of overseas immigrants but one thing I've heard is that the reefs of Perth are incredibly dangerous in a swell.

Very sad:

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ContentID=8412
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quinns Rocks Tragedy

Originally Posted by renth
One man died and another was missing last night after a fishing trip for four workmates off Quinns Rocks went tragically wrong when their boat capsized and sank.

When I got up yesterday I could see how big the surf was, sadly for these people it cost them their lives.

The article says "The dead man was believed to have lived in WA for about a year while the missing man, 42, had been in WA for two months." I don't know if this means they were eastern staters of overseas immigrants but one thing I've heard is that the reefs of Perth are incredibly dangerous in a swell.

Very sad:

We were up at Yanchep yesterday and we were sitting down the very far south end of the beach. We looked south and there were 4 folk walking in thongs on the rocks. The surf was up and at one point I though this one woman was going to be washed away. When they finally made it onto the beach I could hear them laughing and joking about it, they wouldn't have found it so funny had they been swept out. To cap it all they were English too.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

What a tragedy..............however we were at yanchep all day and those waves were very decieving. Had to watch the kids very carefully as they were being swept right along the beach by the current
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:14 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Very sad:

But according to the article, they weren't in charge of the boat. You would think that the skipper would, or should, have known about the conditions on the day or the reputation of the particular area.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:43 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Very sad:

the guy that died lived at butler , don't know if theres anynews on the missing guy yet ?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:27 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Some people seem to carry on about sharks but ignore the real danger of the ocean, drowning, around 500 people drown a year in Oz compared to 2 people per year being killed by sharks.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Oct 2nd 2006 at 9:30 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:31 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Some people seem to carry on about sharks but ignore the real danger of the ocean, drowning, around 500 people drown a year in Oz compared to 2 people per year being killed by sharks.
....and most of them are through carelessness or stupidity.