Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick - Reply Before it Gets Closed

Quick - Reply Before it Gets Closed

Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:13 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick - Reply Before it Gets Closed

I make a point of trying to start new threads, especially when there is little activity. After all, I'd rather be on here reading and replying than doing real work!

It is very frustrating to start a new thread to have it closed down within a few replies, makes we wonder whether to bother posting up new ones. If this forum is just going to be about "ooh, I got a yellow envelope" then there is no place here for me.

Whilst the Olympics thread certainly got boring near the end, I fail to see the point in closing it. Equally, why close my own that referenced a report in the Australian press?

Perhaps the forum could be renamed 'British pre-Expats' if we don't want any sensitivities trod on and I'll go and find something more interesting to spend my time on.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:40 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Quick - Reply Before it Gets Closed

Originally Posted by jayr
I make a point of trying to start new threads, especially when there is little activity. After all, I'd rather be on here reading and replying than doing real work!

It is very frustrating to start a new thread to have it closed down within a few replies, makes we wonder whether to bother posting up new ones. If this forum is just going to be about "ooh, I got a yellow envelope" then there is no place here for me.

Whilst the Olympics thread certainly got boring near the end, I fail to see the point in closing it. Equally, why close my own that referenced a report in the Australian press?

Perhaps the forum could be renamed 'British pre-Expats' if we don't want any sensitivities trod on and I'll go and find something more interesting to spend my time on.
DOnt take it personally jayr. I agree that the odd lively debate is great, but from what I saw it was degenrating into the usual slag the UK or OZ off carry on.

There were valid points, but maybe we could have a new option instead of locking. One that says "beware, usual suspects indulging in I know best and insist in talking at you all"

Not you jayr cos at least you make a point and seem to listen to others. Unfortunately a few people make a point and finish it with some kind of insult or dig. THey think they're just making an informed comment and telling both sides, but more often than not thats not the case. I'm all for both sides having a voice, I love the UK and Oz, but its the "aren't I clever" attitude that some posts seem to have. Maybe they get locked cos most people are tired of sweeping negative posts.

And I know they go both ways Mike before you get clever with me.

Anyway, keep posting jayr. Maybe the posts that follow will offer opinions without presuming we're all children that need to have ur mind made up for us.

Rant over.

Peace!
Old Aug 18th 2004, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Got to agree, wondering myself as someone (an aussie marrried to a pom) what is the point? Posts on what goes on here seem very unwelcome, I still cant belive the dopey thread got closed, so what if its bad press, it goes on here then talk about it.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 18th 2004 at 6:06 am.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I doubt we will be given any answers either.

This section of the forum is titled "Australian Lifestyle and Culture"

It seems we cannot discuss political issues relating to Aus or sporting issues either!! So what category does this fall into if it doesnt fall into part of Australian life?

We already have a whole section designated to immigration issues. Granted there is sports section, but the olympics thread did deal with issues directly related to Aus!!

I am also beginning to feel that this site is not really here for anyone who already lives in Aus, and it really is us who ARE British expats!!
We dont really get much voice in the media over here, and it is nice to have a place where we can discuss things relating to how we see it, whether we agree or not. It seems we do not have a voice on expats either!!!

Very sad
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:16 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum

I am also beginning to feel that this site is not really here for anyone who already lives in Aus, and it really is us who ARE British expats!!
We dont really get much voice in the media over here, and it is nice to have a place where we can discuss things relating to how we see it, whether we agree or not. It seems we do not have a voice on expats either!!!

Very sad

As a Pom living in Oz I'm much more interested in 'discussing' issues in Oz than in the UK. Much of this will clearly be driven by what is being reported in the press; i.e. topical issues. It's a shame that increasingly threads on anything which might by someone (a moderator?) appear to be contentious get closed down.

Those of us in Oz do lot of replying to the "will my tv work", "where should I live", "what should I do for Christmas" posts but also want to 'debate' stuff in the media.

If we are constantly having such threads closed without any knowledge as to why then I supsect our posting will decrease and the forum (and the pre-expaters) will be all the poorer for it.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Voice of support from this side to all you've said Jayr.

Lindsey
Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:33 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

1. As Ulujain keeps mentioning, this site is privately owned & there is no freedom of speech. You will find exactly the same on other forums as well.
2. When you signed up you agreed to their Terms of Service part of which says "The owners of British Expat forum reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason." No explanation needed.
3. If you want to complain about it, then the Site Feedback forum is where you should do it. Either that or email the site owner directly. But if the mods decide to delete or close it then usually its because they are following directions &/or guidelines set down by the site owner.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I accept what you ar esyaing Mrs DB..BUT... how do we know, and define, what we can and cant talk about?

What is their definition of Australian Lifestyle and culture? Whilst they have every right to do whatever they like, if they want to keep it a successful and interesting site for people who are already living here, why behave in this way? Maybe they DONT want those of us living here to have a voice or interest!!
Old Aug 18th 2004, 7:55 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt we will be given any answers either.

This section of the forum is titled "Australian Lifestyle and Culture"

It seems we cannot discuss political issues relating to Aus or sporting issues either!! So what category does this fall into if it doesnt fall into part of Australian life?

Maybe 'The Locker room' or 'Take it outside' forums
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

OK..but not all of us want an arguement, so the take it outside forum is not the right place. Also if the subject is Australia specific why shouldnt it be in here?

I'm still waiting for a definition of what the Australian lifestyle and culture section is for?
Old Aug 18th 2004, 8:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I accept what you ar esyaing Mrs DB..BUT... how do we know, and define, what we can and cant talk about?

What is their definition of Australian Lifestyle and culture? Whilst they have every right to do whatever they like, if they want to keep it a successful and interesting site for people who are already living here, why behave in this way? Maybe they DONT want those of us living here to have a voice or interest!!
Podgy , I dont know, Im just pointing out to jayr that 1. they dont have to give him an answer & 2. that this probably isnt the right place to complain anyway.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Podgy , I dont know, Im just pointing out to jayr that 1. they dont have to give him an answer & 2. that this probably isnt the right place to complain anyway.
Don't have to but PTlabs normally justified the few threads he closed and prevented this type of thread coming up. Moderating with moderation. Personally I would have preferred the thread to have been stuffed in the take it outside forum as I am sure another olympics thread will soon arise.

The noise certainly indicates their is a level of discomfort with the current style of moderating.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACE
Maybe 'The Locker room' or 'Take it outside' forums
Post stuff about living in australia, or stuff from australian media in the take it outside forum Why? is it that shocking
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:53 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Post stuff about living in australia, or stuff from australian media in the take it outside forum Why? is it that shocking
No not at all, it doesn't bother me where it is posted, I can always chose not to read it i simply offered my suggestion as a more moderate (no pun intended) course of action as opposed to closing the thread altogether.

ACE
Old Aug 18th 2004, 9:59 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

OK..but not all of us want an arguement, so the take it outside forum is not the right place. Also if the subject is Australia specific why shouldnt it be in here?

I'm still waiting for a definition of what the Australian lifestyle and culture section is for?
I'm with you on the argument front PP but it did seem to be going that way. i'm not saying that's where the thread should be put just that it would have been better than closing it altogether, not for me personally I got bored with it but for those who wanted to carry on the discussion.

ACE

Last edited by ACE; Aug 18th 2004 at 10:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.