Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick question - re medicals

Quick question - re medicals

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 7:47 am
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question - re medicals

Originally Posted by chels
I don't know if this will help, but I found this in a guide produced by the Immigration Rights and Advice Centre in Sydney:

Pregnant women who do not want to have an x-ray must wait until their baby is born and they have the x-ray before their application will be processed unless they can show good reason why their travel to Australia should not be delayed. This will only be possible if they have lived for at least 5 years in an area where there is a low risk of getting tuberculosis and a clinical examination shows no previous or current history of health problems. They will usually be required to give an undertaking to have an x-ray once the baby is born.
Thanks chels - that is great information : )
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire&Richard
I was in a road accident not so long ago and hit my head pretty badly, when I got my head xrayed the radiologist put one of those lead aprons around me, covering my lower regions, this seems to be standard procedure here and he did not even ask if I was pregnant or not.

Does this apron reduce the risks if your pregnant?
Sorry to hear that you have been involved in a road accident in the past

Yes, the lead aprons stop a large percentage (all?) of the xrays. They are also used when not pregnant to proect the ovaries/testes.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:56 pm
nya
Forum Regular

nya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marknclaire
correct, i had mine done, claire was pregnant and they accepted our medicals without her xrays, just got our doctor to state "pregnant xray not performed " and sent that with everyhting else. accepted without question.
http://www.conceptaustralia.co.uk/in...108&pn=Skilled :

"Pregnant women

Expectant mothers are advised not to undergo chest x-rays during pregnancy and therefore the case officer will defer the application until after the baby is born at which time you should forward a certified copy of the full birth certificate and information page of passport together with two passport size photographs. In limited circumstances, it may be possible for DIMA to grant a visa without the expectant mother having an x-ray and before the baby is born."
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:05 pm
C&R

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nya
http://www.conceptaustralia.co.uk/in...108&pn=Skilled :

"Pregnant women

Expectant mothers are advised not to undergo chest x-rays during pregnancy and therefore the case officer will defer the application until after the baby is born at which time you should forward a certified copy of the full birth certificate and information page of passport together with two passport size photographs. In limited circumstances, it may be possible for DIMA to grant a visa without the expectant mother having an x-ray and before the baby is born."
Thanks Ozzydoc and nya for your words of advice.

I live in a high risk country, so I doubt I would get any special treatment with regards to them letting me in without an xray *should* I be pregnant that is. Eyes crossed this won't be the case. As ever, something always happens to me to cock things right up [no pun intended] : )
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ozzydoc and nya for your words of advice.

I live in a high risk country, so I doubt I would get any special treatment with regards to them letting me in without an xray *should* I be pregnant that is. Eyes crossed this won't be the case. As ever, something always happens to me to cock things right up [no pun intended] : )

You're welcome. Good luck with everything
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

marknclaire is an unknown quantity at this point

When did you apply for the visa, and what visa did you apply for?

I gathered that Dimia would put the visa application on hold if you could not perform the xrays due to being pregnant, and that the whole visa app process proceeded again once the baby was born.
cant comment on what happened to others but what i stated was what happened to us.
we were on a skills migration visa (mark was the primary applicant) claire became pregnant and she did NOT have the xray as we didnt want her to as she was (from memory) about 15 weeks. we sent all other medical stuf off(blood test etc) and we got the visa no problem. i had heard similar to what has been mentioned above in that youre applciation goes on hold until you both get the xray-again this did NOT happen to us we got it without one.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:46 am
C&R

cant comment on what happened to others but what i stated was what happened to us.
we were on a skills migration visa (mark was the primary applicant) claire became pregnant and she did NOT have the xray as we didnt want her to as she was (from memory) about 15 weeks. we sent all other medical stuf off(blood test etc) and we got the visa no problem. i had heard similar to what has been mentioned above in that youre applciation goes on hold until you both get the xray-again this did NOT happen to us we got it without one.
wow - how long ago was it when you applied?
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

marknclaire is an unknown quantity at this point

we migrated in 2003.
cant say if the rules have changed or not, but the statement made by someone seems to be similar if not exactly the same as when we applied-we thought"bugger it we'll just send everything we have off and see what happens! "
they can only say "you also need to send XXX medicals as well" i suppose
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:03 am
C&R

we migrated in 2003.
cant say if the rules have changed or not, but the statement made by someone seems to be similar if not exactly the same as when we applied-we thought"bugger it we'll just send everything we have off and see what happens! "
they can only say "you also need to send XXX medicals as well" i suppose
From the research I have done, checking out this website and other resources this morning, I can only presume yours is a very special case! Everyone else was told/or advised to put their application on hold and wait until the baby was born until they had the meds. Anyway, I am glad everything worked out so perfectly for you : )
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 7:57 am
C&R

Anyway, all is well, no worries about me having an x-ray now, erm false alarm and all that if you get me
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anyway, all is well, no worries about me having an x-ray now, erm false alarm and all that if you get me

okeydokey.....erm.....time 4 u to check out the mooncup thread
Old Sep 24th 2006, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just checked with one of my lectures....

"Safe xray dose in early pregnancy is under 10 rads. 1 x chest xray is 0.1 rad"

So, safe if necessary.