Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Quick Q for all ( especially Gra. ))

Quick Q for all ( especially Gra. ))

Old Nov 7th 2003, 9:45 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough
Red face Quick Q for all ( especially Gra. ))

Hubby and i are coming over December, to New Zealand on a visitors Visa, hubby has a job but we been told it would be quicker to apply in person in New Zealand for Work Permit, anyway, my question is this, im worried we gonna look rather suspiscious ( sorry cant spell that word for love nor money) claiming we visitors but having a lifetime of books and all our personal items following us,

wont they think it a bit extreme for visitors to ship everything over for say 6months, even though we know were staying, they think we visitors,

do we declare this we we arrive or go back later after we have a 2 year work permit, or wont they think anything strange when we say we just visiting but all our stuff will be arriving in 12weeks?????

This Q goes to Gra also as i know he just turned up with a handful of cash and his dog, not sure if he had any stuff to follow though !

Lottie

Just terrified of landing at Christchurch to be told we not allowed in and have to be deported !
Old Nov 7th 2003, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

good question lottie, we would be interested in your replies, we plan the same thing for my mum once we're settled in aus lol

Paul
Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quick Q for all ( especially Gra. ))

Originally posted by TiggerLottie
This Q goes to Gra also as i know he just turned up with a handful of cash and his dog, not sure if he had any stuff to follow though !

Lottie
Hi Lottie, d'you mean me? ...because I've never been, haven't got much cash....or a dog.... Got some stuff though, & a cat..

I'm sure it's not a problem doing what you say, seems to be the norm nowadays, & even NZIS sometimes recommend it. We were told at the expo that it's not a problem..I heard somewhere that they'll be making allowances for it in the policy soon, as most people have to go as visitors to sort out work.

One thing though, there's a good chance you could get a work visa over the counter in London, with job offer, p/work etc.. I know some have, and someone recently was told there's a good chance they could, as long as they weren't too busy. Probably worth a trip? or at least a phone call...
Also have a look at the chat bit on www.*****.co.uk - there's a few going through the same thing..

Haven't a clue about Aus though..

Gra..
Old Nov 8th 2003, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Charlotte77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having arrived in august as visitors I can offer some advise.

Firstly we wasn't questioned at all about arriving as visitors they are only concerned with you bringing in any fruit etc at the airport. Secondly you can send your stuff to nz with a work permit but if you send it and you are a visitor you are liable for a bond.

Secondly I would strongly recommend that you try and sort out your work visa in england as the processing times in NZ are much longer. You can only queue up for a work permit here and get it the same day if you are on the occupational shortlist otherwise NZIS will go away and do a labour shortage check.

Arriving as a visior can hold you back on certain things so if you can sort out in england, Go for it, it will save you alot of worries.

Charlotte
Old Nov 8th 2003, 11:35 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Thanks for all the info guys, sorry bout that Gra, i remeber reading a post and someone saying they landed with a rucksack, handful of cash and a dog, i thought it was you...maybe not heehee Great site by the way very interesting

We have decided to apply for work Permit while still in UK while we are waiting for house sale to go through, plus we have figured is gonna make it alot easier when we arrive on one way tickets,

ill keep you posted on how it goes

byee for now

Lottie