Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions on unaccompanied effects form...

Questions on unaccompanied effects form...

Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:14 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light
Default Questions on unaccompanied effects form...

There's 3 things I'm not sure about.
1) My OH has a sheepskin rug he made himself ( used to work in a tannery ), is that likely to cause problems, do I need to declare it/can we bring it at all?
2) Medicines: Do I need to declare things like ibuprofen /anti histamines /migaine tabs/ rennies etc? How about Codeine?
3) Stuff we've owned for less than 12 months. We haven't really bought much, cos we've been planning to emigrate for longer than that, but there's stuff like a few CD's, some clothing like tee-shirts, last years christmas presents... , maybe presents for the family in Oz if we could do that without too much pain?
Is there some value limit below which you dont have to declare new stuff. I can just see the list now. 3 pairs tesco socks. 1 tube toothpaste. 1 cushion. 1 picture frame. etc.

My choices for each of the items are:
a) Chuck it
b) Ship and declare
c) Ship and don't declare ( I'm risk adverse, so only looking to do this if its legit )
d) Bring it in luggage - so the newer clothes should be OK?

Any opinions/recommendations?

The container will be here in just over 3 weeks and my brain is fried.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions on unaccompanied effects form...

Originally Posted by CynOpt
1) My OH has a sheepskin rug he made himself ( used to work in a tannery ), is that likely to cause problems, do I need to declare it/can we bring it at all?
2) Medicines: Do I need to declare things like ibuprofen /anti histamines /migaine tabs/ rennies etc? How about Codeine?
3) Stuff we've owned for less than 12 months. We haven't really bought much, cos we've been planning to emigrate for longer than that, but there's stuff like a few CD's, some clothing like tee-shirts, last years christmas presents... , maybe presents for the family in Oz if we could do that without too much pain?
Is there some value limit below which you dont have to declare new stuff. I can just see the list now. 3 pairs tesco socks. 1 tube toothpaste. 1 cushion. 1 picture frame. etc.

a) Chuck it
b) Ship and declare
c) Ship and don't declare ( I'm risk adverse, so only looking to do this if its legit )

Sheepskin rug should be fine, sheep aren't protected, so shouldn't be a problem - if it was kangaroo it might be different
Make a general note of Family medicines - all over-the-counter items, so they know there's nothing serious, probably won't even look. I had much the same stuff and none of it was examined.
The only new stuff you need to worry about is obviously new large itmes - washing machine, TV that kind of thing. They are only interested in stuf of value which could potentially be sold over here.They aren't interested in CDs, clothes, toothpaste etc - within reason of course, if you buy up the whole of George before you come, they might ask questions, but then again I had half of Boots with me and had no issues
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CynOpt

a) Chuck it
b) Ship and declare

Bring the drugs with you if you need them and declare anything that you had on a prescription. I wouldn't trust any drugs after they'd been at sea for 6 weeks. If you don't need the drugs, bin them and buy new when you get here.

Cheers

Steve
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:35 pm
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Pollyanna, that has clarified my last few niggling worries.

Lonndongeek, I think your probably right there, and some of the stuff like rennies and paracetemol is probably past its sell by anyway
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

inOz2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

erm...I have some naive questions...where do I get this "unaccompanied effects form" from and when do I have to fill it out ie with shipment of container? When I am ready to fly? etc

Thanks and confused!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:26 pm
CynOpt

Originally Posted by inOz2008
erm...I have some naive questions...where do I get this "unaccompanied effects form" from and when do I have to fill it out ie with shipment of container? When I am ready to fly? etc

Thanks and confused!
I have been deeply confused. The last form is just filled in now ( much thanks to Pollyanna ), and will send off tomorrow.

The unaccompanied effects form was a surprise to me too.
It arrived AFTER we booked with the shippers, and I have to send it back when I send back the rest of the paperwork, like the marine(aka "transit" aka "all risks" - on my forms anyway) insurance forms.
Make sure you book out an evening for the insurance form if you are shipping a housefull - they ask how many and what value socks and underwear you are shipping
My OH wanted to put down 1 @ £3.50