Questions RSMS

Old Jul 31st 2006, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Janines is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions RSMS

Hey,
My name is Janine, 23 years old, and I live in the Netherlands. Not a lot of Dutchies seem to use the RSMS visa option and here I have found multiply entries about this visa so that is why I am here
I’m going to Ozz on the 25th of August on a Working Holiday Visa and going to apply for a RSMS when I get to Cairns. I have got a job offer and RSMS is the easiest visa for me since I don’t have any valid work experience.
I have read on the website of Chamber of Commerce (Cairns) that you have to proof that the company has advertised sufficiently. I was wondering how strict this is…..
How long is the RSMS visa valid??
Another question, after 2 years working for your sponsor in the regional area, you are free to work anywhere in Australia on the same visa?

Hope someone can answer my questions.

Janine
Old Aug 1st 2006, 11:00 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions RSMS

Hello Janine

The RSMS visa is a full Permanent Residency visa that allows you to stay in Australia indefinitely.
It comes with a 2 year committment to work for the regional company that arranged it with you.
Once the 2 years are done you are free to work where you wish or with whom you wish.
The condition is that you do everything in your power to fulfil the 2 year committment to the company. In other words you do not take yourself out of his employment.
If he sacks you, makes you reduntant or goes bankrupt then you can stay as a free agent.
I have not seen anyone officially change companies during the first 2 years but would not say it is impossible. I have seen people go and work for other companies without DIMIA approval but would not recommend that.

If your work is in a field that is known to be difficult to fill then I would say the advertising can be waived. It will be for your prospective employer to convince the authorities.

By the way, Cairns is magic
Old Aug 1st 2006, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Hello Janine

The RSMS visa is a full Permanent Residency visa that allows you to stay in Australia indefinitely.
It comes with a 2 year committment to work for the regional company that arranged it with you.
Once the 2 years are done you are free to work where you wish or with whom you wish.
The condition is that you do everything in your power to fulfil the 2 year committment to the company. In other words you do not take yourself out of his employment.
If he sacks you, makes you reduntant or goes bankrupt then you can stay as a free agent.
I have not seen anyone officially change companies during the first 2 years but would not say it is impossible. I have seen people go and work for other companies without DIMIA approval but would not recommend that.

If your work is in a field that is known to be difficult to fill then I would say the advertising can be waived. It will be for your prospective employer to convince the authorities.

By the way, Cairns is magic
Good advice all told.

RSMS is my only option without post registration nursing experience as I qualify in a few weeks. I'll be heading to north Qld all being well and can strongly recommend trying for RSMS if you lack work experience and want to live away from the main 5 population centres.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 8:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
RSMS is my only option without post registration nursing experience as I qualify in a few weeks. I'll be heading to north Qld all being well and can strongly recommend trying for RSMS if you lack work experience and want to live away from the main 5 population centres.

Unclear where you get the "main 5" from, but Adelaide is RSMS eligible. As is Canberra.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unclear where you get the "main 5" from, but Adelaide is RSMS eligible. As is Canberra.
Beg your pardon!

I should have said "main 4"! I.e, Sydney and central NSW coast; Melb'n; Perth and Brissie/Gold Coast.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Good advice all told.

We are in a very similar situation, my wife will graduate in Jan 2007 but as far as I can tell QLD dont support the RSMS visa in the first instance, only the SIR visa wich will only get you a 457 temp visa, this is why we are at the moment looking at other regions although we would prefer to go to QLD.

I am ready to be proved wrong though!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:02 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Consider yourself proved wrong.
I'm in QLD on an RSMS as are a lot of others.

Depends what your classification of QLD is though. If you are just thinking Brisbane, SC and GC you might be right. Would have to check the post codes to see if those areas are completely excluded though.

However there is a very large QLD state beyond those places and a very nice state too with plenty of choice.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
Consider yourself proved wrong.
I'm in QLD on an RSMS as are a lot of others.

Depends what your classification of QLD is though. If you are just thinking Brisbane, SC and GC you might be right. Would have to check the post codes to see if those areas are completely excluded though.

However there is a very large QLD state beyond those places and a very nice state too with plenty of choice.
Nope the Last place we want to live is in a city! We were looking from Cairns down to Hervey bay. I am now very intrigued, on the QLD gov site it states that they will ONLY sponser under the SIR visa, and then will consider PR under RSMS after the 2 yrs. Can I ask what line of work you are in? We would be going with my wife as the primary applicant, as a nurse so one problem may be that our sponser would effectively be the QLD gov. Also how long have you been in Aus, there hasn't been a recent policy change has there? If this is possible for us this may make a big difference to how we are thinking.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:28 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by windog
Nope the Last place we want to live is in a city! We were looking from Cairns down to Hervey bay. I am now very intrigued, on the QLD gov site it states that they will ONLY sponser under the SIR visa, and then will consider PR under RSMS after the 2 yrs. Can I ask what line of work you are in? We would be going with my wife as the primary applicant, as a nurse so one problem may be that our sponser would effectively be the QLD gov. Also how long have you been in Aus, there hasn't been a recent policy change has there? If this is possible for us this may make a big difference to how we are thinking.
I came on a 457 Oct 2004 and converted to RSMS May 2005. Only came on a 457 first cos that's the companies policy. (logistics manager for a mining company)
I'm currently helping 2 people who are already here with RSMS applications. Tony is hoping to go to Townsville on RSMS. Jimtrish is already there. Both nursing.

If there is a change it must have been very recent.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:32 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Just looked up the DIMIA website and this is the list of post codes classed as regional
http://www.dimia.gov.au/employers/rsms_postcodes.htm

My post code is 4870.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 3:37 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Cairns Chamber of Commerce website
http://www.cairnschamber.com.au/Prod...1/Default.aspx

I know Cairns is short of nurses. I put a thread up about it a while ago.

Check some more mate as hopefully your info is wrong ?

I hope mine isn't.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bix
Cairns Chamber of Commerce website
http://www.cairnschamber.com.au/Prod...1/Default.aspx

I know Cairns is short of nurses. I put a thread up about it a while ago.

Check some more mate as hopefully your info is wrong ?

I hope mine isn't.
Thanks for that, oh well, back to "research mode"! The problem I can see developing is by the time I DO work out what visa to apply for I'm going to fail the medical due to "stress"!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by windog
Thanks for that, oh well, back to "research mode"! The problem I can see developing is by the time I DO work out what visa to apply for I'm going to fail the medical due to "stress"!
I know how you feel!

Bix is right however. Trish is a newly qualified nurse with no post reg expereince in the UK. She was accepted for sponsorship by the RSMS route in Townsville and is now happily settled there. As I understand it, it is the individual hospital that sponsors you, not the government.

There is a lot of misinformation about the RSMS as it is not very well known. One prospective employer I contacted last week in Townsville believed in the two years post reg experience thingy, and yet this is not a pre-requisite of the visa. The Queensland Nursing Council will assess you on an individual basis and have also not mentioned anything like this.

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know how you feel!

Bix is right however. Trish is a newly qualified nurse with no post reg expereince in the UK. She was accepted for sponsorship by the RSMS route in Townsville and is now happily settled there. As I understand it, it is the individual hospital that sponsors you, not the government.

There is a lot of misinformation about the RSMS as it is not very well known. One prospective employer I contacted last week in Townsville believed in the two years post reg experience thingy, and yet this is not a pre-requisite of the visa. The Queensland Nursing Council will assess you on an individual basis and have also not mentioned anything like this.

Hope that helps!
Thanks! That makes a big difference to our thinking. We were looking at waiting at least 6 months for the skill matching visa or applying via the graduate recruitment scheme, I didn't know there was even a possibility of getting employment without some post-grad experience
Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know how you feel!

Hope that helps!
PS do you know if Trish went to a private hospital or was it Townsville base?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.