Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions regarding security industry

Questions regarding security industry

Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

nigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud of
Default Questions regarding security industry

Hi,

I have a SIA badge valid in the UK, as a Door Supervisor, which also allows me to work as a Guard. My question is is it recognised in Oz? If not what sort of training will I have to do? Do I need to be a permanent resident for the new licence?....coming over on wifes Nurse visa....

I am aware it may vary in each state, but some generalised info would be great, cus at moment I know nothing!!!!

Regards
NIGEL
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions regarding security industry

Originally Posted by nigelb
Hi,

I have a SIA badge valid in the UK, as a Door Supervisor, which also allows me to work as a Guard. My question is is it recognised in Oz? If not what sort of training will I have to do? Do I need to be a permanent resident for the new licence?....coming over on wifes Nurse visa....

I am aware it may vary in each state, but some generalised info would be great, cus at moment I know nothing!!!!

Regards
NIGEL
It will not be recognised here in Australia (well at least not in SA). You will have to do a certificate in security - and there are many different ones out there - and pass a security check. To see which certificate courses you may need to do, check out either DEST or DFEEST websites. Sorry, I'm not at work so don't have the correct web address. If you have experience in UK, then you will probably be granted RPL for most of the courses and only have to do a couple of modules on Australian standards.
When I get to work today I'll look it up for you and post later.
D
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, again, Nigel. Ok. I've looked up the training website for you, but it's specific to South Australia. So, if you are planning to come here, you would look at www.training.sa.gov.au. You can click on "students and the community" to find all the links to various qualifications. If you plan on coming here, I know of a training organisation/recruiting agency in Adelaide and I could hook you up with them. They not only provide you with training to get licensed, but will help you find work in your field as well.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

nigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud of

Thankyou Dorothy, that was very helpful advice. Do you know why my thread was moved?Iam new to this, just wondered did I put it in the wrong catogory.

Cheers

Nigel
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:52 am
Still alive

Thankyou Dorothy, that was very helpful advice. Do you know why my thread was moved?Iam new to this, just wondered did I put it in the wrong catogory.

Cheers

Nigel
Don't know why it was moved, other than it had to do with Australia specifically. The Barbie is more for general chat type stuff.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Nigel
Thought you'd stand a better chance of an answer in Lifestyle, as its quite an Aus specific question