Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions, questions - Melbourne

Questions, questions - Melbourne

Old Jun 30th 2017, 7:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions, questions - Melbourne

Originally Posted by Beoz
London - Richmond, Barnes, etc.

Sydney - Stanmore, Hunters Hill, Leichhardt

Lovely expensive areas with relentless commercial air traffic.

As a friend of mine in Petersham once said "you know visitors to the area. They are the ones looking up"
Or the aviation enthusiasts/nutters/spotters
Old Jun 30th 2017, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
All good points which I could agree with, and you've picked houses according to budget but the advice for new migrants is that estates aren't for everyone particularly as they tend to be the affordable option. Many a migrant has been seduced by 4 beds and a movie theatre.
We were seduced by that back in 2008 when we moved to Point Cook, big, new houses with all the mod cons. Ended up not using 2 bedrooms, a lounge and bathroom for the whole time we were there.

Despite Garry's more detailed response, the problems I described still exist. Commuting to the city on the Westgate is hell, there are poor cafe, bar and restaurant options, it's dry and dusty in summer and the secondary schools poor.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 9:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
We were seduced by that back in 2008 when we moved to Point Cook, big, new houses with all the mod cons. Ended up not using 2 bedrooms, a lounge and bathroom for the whole time we were there.
Well OP has 4 kids, so space it at a premium.

Originally Posted by sr71
Despite Garry's more detailed response, the problems I described still exist. Commuting to the city on the Westgate is hell, there are poor cafe, bar and restaurant options, it's dry and dusty in summer and the secondary schools poor.
Commuting to the city is hell from anywhere, cafe, bar, restaurants have been getting better as new places open, it's not particularly drier/dustier in the summer than anywhere else (particularly since there's watering of those paths etc. and part of the reason for linking to that school ranking list was to demonstrate one of the top ten was in ...... point cook.

In the end everyone has to look and decide for themselves - different people see things in different ways. I'm just pointing up that if you don't have the preconceptions of the natives, you can do quite well by going against the grain. Particularly coming from the UK, being able to get a decent size for reasonable money is a win.

Last edited by GarryP; Jun 30th 2017 at 9:40 am.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP

Commuting to the city is hell from anywhere, cafe, bar, restaurants have been getting better as new places open, it's not particularly drier/dustier in the summer than anywhere else (particularly since there's watering of those paths etc. and part of the reason for linking to that school ranking list was to demonstrate one of the top ten was in ...... point cook.

In the end everyone has to look and decide for themselves - different people see things in different ways. I'm just pointing up that if you don't have the preconceptions of the natives, you can do quite well by going against the grain. Particularly coming from the UK, being able to get a decent size for reasonable money is a win.
Lots of British migrants do win if they want to live in Melbourne and a new larger house. It's like that for many migrants especially historically. But over the years, people do get bitten, particulalry well educated migrants. I'd pick the 'hovel' frankly because I value what makes those locations tick.

I get the migrants needs bedrooms etc. but it might mean a move to AU won't work.

I live 60mins drive from the CBD (sometimes less) if I leave early from the SE in the morning to arrive by 9am. It's no biggie. What's the quickest you can get over the West gate and arrive by 9Am, and how early do you start, by car? I'm wondering whether the bridge outweighs the short distance.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:46 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

What's the quickest you can get over the West gate and arrive by 9Am, and how early do you start, by car? I'm wondering whether the bridge outweighs the short distance.
40 mins

Provided you leave at the right time and take the right route. Actually the westgate isn't a major issue, it's getting onto the freeway, which is why the 4 junctions help.

And it could be better if they fixed the issue with the main junction and shot the politicians - which is what I was tell the reps from Vicroads this week.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Going against the grain is just justification for "I can't afford to go with the grain". Which is fine, everyone earns differently, but you should just come out and say it. Going with the grain is the best investment.

Over the past 20 years inner suburbs have grown greater than outer. They will continue to do so as they offer more in the way of services, transport, and variety than out subs.

No one cares much for the excess space you have to clean and maintain these days. Life is too busy and most time is spent out of the house. Work, sport, social activities, general living.

Simple rule. Buy as close as you can, to meet your needs, for what you can afford. Location location location.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:47 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Beoz
Going with the grain is the best investment.
That's never true.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute

Our main priority after having a house obviously is good schools for our kids - we need to make a decision by Tuesday and I can safely say I'm no further forward in choosing 🙉
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Just a tip for people reading this and going against the grain..... I'll only provide this the once. Central Ballarat will go like a rocket when people realise they can get to the CBD in 45 mins when fast rail happens... I predict circa 20 years......It's already a quicker trip by rail than Pakenham and you get a toilet on all trains and a restaurant car on some.. 350,000 K for a very good historical house right in the center of Town, Shops, Parks, and History in abundance.

I'd take that as a rail trip of currently 59 mins to North Melbourne over any road commute of over 45 mins.

Ballarat Clarendon finished in the top 10 schools in the state.

People will be kicking themselves re Ballarat in the not to distant future.

A yearly ticket will cost 23 bucks a day return.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 30th 2017 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:40 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Ballarat. I don't get it. Just can't see the attraction. I know plenty of other people who feel the same.
Old Jun 30th 2017, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Ballarat. I don't get it. Just can't see the attraction. I know plenty of other people who feel the same.
Beats Pakenham and it's ilk in the outer east.

If your close in, and I mean walking distance to Ballarat station, you've probably got something similar to a Inner Melbourne suburb in terms of choice and amenity.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 12:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Just a tip for people reading this and going against the grain..... I'll only provide this the once. Central Ballarat will go like a rocket when people realise they can get to the CBD in 45 mins when fast rail happens.
Yeah, I've long thought that the smartest move would be to concentrate on real high speed connections into the city and thus satellite towns. Personal favourite is to combine the satellite town with a high speed route to Canberra & Sydney, forming a 'linear city' over the distance.

Sadly I think there's a lack of forward thinking smarts in Oz ... well, given the NBN screwup, I'm certain there is.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Ballarat better than Pakenham in real terms. Admittedly Paky is near Berwick and Beacy and established SE.

Garry 40mins commute from C Springs: very favourable what time do you need to leave?
Old Jul 1st 2017, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's never true.
It is, if you consider real estate where it is location. People always buy the best place in the best area they can afford.
Old Jul 1st 2017, 4:25 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

It is, if you consider real estate where it is location. People always buy the best place in the best area they can afford.
If you are looking for investment, you are looking for capital gain - so if you go with the grain the value is already priced in. Find something up and coming and undervalued and you can clean up.

For instance, until recently Sunshine was a down at heel dump. However people realised it was undervalued and good for commuting and the values have shot up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.