Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions for mums (and dads) of babies...

Questions for mums (and dads) of babies...

Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions for mums (and dads) of babies...

Hello!

We will hopefully be moving to Oz in October with our baby, who will be 12 months old by then, and I just had a couple of questions...

1) Is public breastfeeding accepted in Oz? Here I feed him when and wherever, usually in a coffee shop or the park. I'd like to continue in Australia - is it cool to do so or am I likely to get comments and filthy looks? Not that it would bother me but forewarned is forearmed and all that!

2) What about baby clothes? Here you can get packs of vests/sleepsuits etc in Tescos really cheaply and I was wondering if it was the same in Oz? I don't like to spend a lot of money on clothes - is it worth me stocking up on summer gear for him (and us for that matter!) before we leave?

Thanks!

Rach x
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice
Default Re: Questions for mums (and dads) of babies...

hi there

when we went out on our rekkie our daughter was 7 months old and still being breastfed, i didnt encounter any problems at all, as for the clothes we found it difficult finding a baby shop that sold parasols and such like but didnt actually look for clothes, i would probably stock up before you go and that will give you time to get settled and find the best shops for bargains before you need to start shopping!

Beth
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

rubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of light

I second what beth said..

You see mums with their boobs out everywhere you go where I live!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:26 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Questions for mums (and dads) of babies...

Originally Posted by rubyredlips
You see mums with their boobs out everywhere you go where I live!
I foresee mass UK male emigration to Manly coming up.....

Buzzy
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:37 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monkeypeaches
Hello!

We will hopefully be moving to Oz in October with our baby, who will be 12 months old by then, and I just had a couple of questions...

1) Is public breastfeeding accepted in Oz? Here I feed him when and wherever, usually in a coffee shop or the park. I'd like to continue in Australia - is it cool to do so or am I likely to get comments and filthy looks? Not that it would bother me but forewarned is forearmed and all that!

2) What about baby clothes? Here you can get packs of vests/sleepsuits etc in Tescos really cheaply and I was wondering if it was the same in Oz? I don't like to spend a lot of money on clothes - is it worth me stocking up on summer gear for him (and us for that matter!) before we leave?

Thanks!

Rach x

Breast feeding seems to be okay - not looking for it but have noticed a few women breastfeeding in our local cafes.

Warning about baby clothing - do a big shop at Tesco before coming out. We miss Cherokee - cheap and durable for nursery wear. You can get most things in Oz but the quality is poor - its either very cheap in nasty or very expensive and then only reasonable quality. (Internet shopping is a godsend).

But on a brighter note everything else is very well catered for bringing up children over here. The red book is replaced by a similar yellow book and they do more through checking during the checkups.

You will also find mothergroups in your area and through this will make a socia network very quickly.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:39 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by thebears
But on a brighter note everything else is very well catered for bringing up children over here. The red book is replaced by a similar yellow book and they do more through checking during the checkups.
we got a blue one in NSW
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:42 pm

Hello!

Thanks!

Rach x
my wife had no worries breastfeeding in public, so you don't have to be too concerned imo
i second what is said about clothes, they definitely appear to be cheaper and better quality in the UK supermarkets, you can get cheap over here in KMart/Target etc. but we certainly notice the difference with the stuff sent from rellies in the UK
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:08 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Breast feeding seems to be okay - not looking for it but have noticed a few women breastfeeding in our local cafes.

Warning about baby clothing - do a big shop at Tesco before coming out. We miss Cherokee - cheap and durable for nursery wear. You can get most things in Oz but the quality is poor - its either very cheap in nasty or very expensive and then only reasonable quality. (Internet shopping is a godsend).

You will also find mothergroups in your area and through this will make a socia network very quickly.
Cheap baby/young kids clothes can be found at quite a few places, depending on where you are based.
We often get stuff from Target, K-Mart and Cotton-On for the girls. We found the quality much the same as Tesco's own stuff, but as they grow out of it so quickly it is a waste getting lots of top end stuff...

On the other topic, as Buzzy said, I think I may have to pop over to Manly again soon !!

Steve
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by stevemich
On the other topic, as Buzzy said, I think I may have to pop over to Manly again soon !!

Steve
i'll see you down there
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone!

Will stock up before we go (or get the lovely grandparents to send a few care packages)

Rach x
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rach,

As others said already, breastfeeding in public is acceptable here. There are parenting rooms in all the shopping centres and in the department stores.

I have a 13 month old daughter who was born here and we haven't had any trouble getting reasonably priced baby clothes for her. We get lots of her clothes from Target - there are sales almost every other week. Sometimes it's 25%, and sometimes is buy one get the second one half price. Same goes for the toys. "Bonds" is a fairly good quality brand and they make very good sleepsuits.

To give you an idea of the quality - I have another baby on its way, and all the clothes from the first one are still in very good condition.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:42 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly apologies in advance for deviating away from the subject matter!

But does it cost alot to have a baby in a state hospital or is it free like the UK?

I found clothes and baby goods alot cheaper when I was holidaying in Sydney last year.

But wanted to find out whether, if I got pregnant in Australia and went to a regular state hospital to have the baby, would it cost me anything... i.e would I get billed by the hospital?

Last edited by utopia; Jan 30th 2007 at 10:45 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:54 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

yep breastfeeding fine (what I'm doing at the moment, )

There are many really good parent rooms (in shopping centres), just the odd few that are not so nice. But now mainly bf in coffee shops (prefer to be with family than stuck in a rm). It is the norm to get free water (in cafe/resturants), which is great to make sure you avoid dehydration. In hotter weather, my baby prefers smaller feeds but more frequent, so often getting me babs out

Also meet up with other Mums in the park, so there is a whole gang of us bf (won't mention the park as will get the likes of steve & buzzy hanging around )

btw: in NSW the blue book is given only if born here, otherwise the uk red book is kept.

walaj (mum of 2yr old DD & 3mths DS)
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by walaj
(won't mention the park as will get the likes of steve & buzzy hanging around )
yes, those two are irreformable i'm afraid
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:03 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by utopia
Firstly apologies in advance for deviating away from the subject matter!

But does it cost alot to have a baby in a state hospital or is it free like the UK?
Gave birth 3mths ago in state hospital (nsw) - if you are a PR the costs are minimal, but do charge ifsay you are on temp visa.

costs we had were during pregnancy - 1 scan was done at private where most was claimed back on medicare. The rest were at another hospital where no pymt required as went straight to medicare.

Unlike UK, there are no concessions for free prescriptions/dental care whilst pregnant (or the year after birth).

if PR you will also be allowed to claim baby bonus, which is currently $4k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.