Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Questions to Ask Removals Companies?

Questions to Ask Removals Companies?

Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

hopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant future
Default Questions to Ask Removals Companies?

I have removals companies around for a quote this week. I have read numerous useful articles on this forum about this. I thought I 'd try to collect together all the recommended questions in one place. Some of them are probably not answerable, but you never know until you try.

I am sure I have missed some, so please add them.

1. What costs are excluded from your quote? eg: Australian side AQIS. Australian customs?
2.What costs are included in your quote?
3. Can you confirm the date of leaving port for a shared container?
4. Do you do air frieght? Cost & timings?
5. What if I do some self packing, will you insure it or repack it?
6. Who are your removal agents in Sydney? Is the same agent that takes it through aqis and customs or do they just deliver to flat?
7. Will there be a cost to clean the container?
8. If I have a shared container will that come to my house or will my stuff be loaded into it in your warehouse? If the latter, will I be allowed inside the container to check for light?
9. What is the cuft of a 20ft container?
10. How do you label boxes? ie: detail etc. Or should I be doing this?
11. What paper work do you need from me (visa, passport etc)?
12. What storage time do you include for free in Australia? Does waiting for customs or AQIS count as part of this storage time?
13. Price of new for old and total loss insurance? Does this cover from door to door?
14. How long will it take from London to Sydney? Excluding customs and aqis?
15. Shared containers - what is normal waiting time before departure, how many do you have going each week / month from London to Sydney?
16. Any other costs you think I may have to pay to a third party or to yourselves above the quote?
17. If once packed it is less than you quoted, will I have to pay less? and vice versa?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice
Default Re: Questions to Ask Removals Companies?

Originally Posted by hopalong
I have removals companies around for a quote this week. I have read numerous useful articles on this forum about this. I thought I 'd try to collect together all the recommended questions in one place. Some of them are probably not answerable, but you never know until you try.

I am sure I have missed some, so please add them.

1. What costs are excluded from your quote? eg: Australian side AQIS. Australian customs?
2.What costs are included in your quote?
3. Can you confirm the date of leaving port for a shared container?
4. Do you do air frieght? Cost & timings?
5. What if I do some self packing, will you insure it or repack it?
6. Who are your removal agents in Sydney? Is the same agent that takes it through aqis and customs or do they just deliver to flat?
7. Will there be a cost to clean the container?
8. If I have a shared container will that come to my house or will my stuff be loaded into it in your warehouse? If the latter, will I be allowed inside the container to check for light?
9. What is the cuft of a 20ft container?
10. How do you label boxes? ie: detail etc. Or should I be doing this?
11. What paper work do you need from me (visa, passport etc)?
12. What storage time do you include for free in Australia? Does waiting for customs or AQIS count as part of this storage time?
13. Price of new for old and total loss insurance? Does this cover from door to door?
14. How long will it take from London to Sydney? Excluding customs and aqis?
15. Shared containers - what is normal waiting time before departure, how many do you have going each week / month from London to Sydney?
16. Any other costs you think I may have to pay to a third party or to yourselves above the quote?
17. If once packed it is less than you quoted, will I have to pay less? and vice versa?
Can I track my shipment? Will the container fit up my drive?

Plus a load here, plus buckets of other resources:

http://www.adelaidebound.com/shippers.htm
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Can you do any better on the price? Company B has quoted price X. Can you better that?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

hopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant futurehopalong has a brilliant future

thanks for the suggestions and links...came up with another one myself...do you use contractors and how busy is it when I am planning to sail (ie: will I get a contractor?) If you are wondering why look for fly away's post.