Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question for you Sunshine Coasters?

Question for you Sunshine Coasters?

Old May 8th 2004, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of
Default Question for you Sunshine Coasters?

Hello, I know that quite a few of you are living in that lovely part of the world and wondered if anyone could advise me on which areas to look at that are slightly inland and within 20 mins drive of a hospital (for work). A lot to ask I know but I'm as almost as addicted to looking at real estate as I am this forum! I believe that Nambour is a bit run down as a place to live but the main hospital is there. Any ideas? (Just to help me while away the time WAITING!!! )

In fact, go on, make me jealous and tell me all about life on the Sunshine Coast!

Old May 8th 2004, 4:48 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

treefrog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question for you Sunshine Coasters?

Originally posted by kulu
Hello, I know that quite a few of you are living in that lovely part of the world and wondered if anyone could advise me on which areas to look at that are slightly inland and within 20 mins drive of a hospital (for work). A lot to ask I know but I'm as almost as addicted to looking at real estate as I am this forum! I believe that Nambour is a bit run down as a place to live but the main hospital is there. Any ideas? (Just to help me while away the time WAITING!!! )

In fact, go on, make me jealous and tell me all about life on the Sunshine Coast!

Hi! You will LOVE the sunshine coast, much better than the Gold coast in my opinion! The real beach lifestyle, very relaxed, with gorgeous unspoiled hinterland in most areas. Caloundra is nice & I think it has a hospital as it is full of geriatrics & surfers, and there are several inland settlements nearby, mostly in hills so it is a bit cooler in summer. There have been several programmes of 'I Want That House' from there lately, if you have sky I expect they'll be repeated on UK style or somewhere soon, and they'll give you an idea of the type of property you can get for how much. At present you can get a brand new house & land package for less than UK£150,000 - better than here!
Old May 8th 2004, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

Thanks treefrog. Are you heading that way?
Old May 9th 2004, 8:49 am
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Thanks treefrog. Are you heading that way?
Unfortunately not. I lived in Brissie for 7 years, and loved it, but I'm now heading to Melbourne with British hubbie & 2 kids, mainly because he's more likely to find work there. I've always fancied living in Melbourne, though! It's supposed to be the cultural capital of Australia (I've never been there) and it has a very good uni, and 'd like to keep my brain alive by taking a few courses there while I'm a full time mum! feel anxious & excited at the same time - like everyone I guess! Let me know how you get on.
Old May 9th 2004, 8:54 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Melbourne seems to be Australia's cosmo capital. There's definitely plenty to see and eat and both in great variety there.

Just watch out for the odd CBD road rules.
Old May 9th 2004, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by treefrog
Unfortunately not. I lived in Brissie for 7 years, and loved it, but I'm now heading to Melbourne with British hubbie & 2 kids, mainly because he's more likely to find work there. I've always fancied living in Melbourne, though! It's supposed to be the cultural capital of Australia (I've never been there) and it has a very good uni, and 'd like to keep my brain alive by taking a few courses there while I'm a full time mum! feel anxious & excited at the same time - like everyone I guess! Let me know how you get on.
Thanks treefrog. I love the sound of Melbourne and I work with a guy from there who can't understand why we would want to live anywhere else but my husband is South African and very keen to have the climate on the sunshine coast that is like Durban. The compromise is to live a little inland to try to catch the breezes.

I currently work part time, well, I did until 2 days ago when my husband was made redundant (no warning), now I have to try to increase my hours but it's all preparation for Oz, I was expecting to work full time when we get there until my husband finds work. Then I would love to be a full time Mum, maybe breed some more!!!!! Who knows, maybe my husband will stay a house husband?!

It's amazing the range of emotions, thoughts and feelings you go through when you are planning such a big move, isn't it?

Take care

Lou
Old May 10th 2004, 5:30 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

Hmmm, not sure about inland being cooler, but I think you'll love it anyway!

So sorry about your husband being made redundant, that must have come as a bit of a shocker! It has happened to mine a few times too, but he's in computers - companies are always downsizing and then restarting, so it's not usually too long before he gets another job. Hope your hub finds something really quickly - and sees it as an opportunity to have a bit of time off while looking for something better!

I'm a FT mum at the moment but I'm not really suited to it - I'm getting bored and want to do something besides! Won't be for a while as I'm 5 weeks form the birth of my second.
:scared:
Guess the other side is always greener!

Best of luck, Jenny.
Old May 10th 2004, 5:30 pm
Bite my shiny metal ass!

So sorry about your husband being made redundant, that must have come as a bit of a shocker! It has happened to mine a few times too, but he's in computers - companies are always downsizing and then restarting, so it's not usually too long before he gets another job. Hope your hub finds something really quickly - and sees it as an opportunity to have a bit of time off while looking for something better!

I'm a FT mum at the moment but I'm not really suited to it - I'm getting bored and want to do something besides! Won't be for a while as I'm 5 weeks form the birth of my second.

Best of luck, Jenny.
Old May 17th 2004, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

hi debs here , we moved to the sunny coast oct 2003, now in our own house and lovin it . we live in a place called mountain creek just 6 mins from beach, nr mooloolaba.

like somone eles mentioned about tv shows "get a new life " bbc 2 at 8'00 is on tue 18th may its all about the sunny coast, then more shows from the 24th for 4 nights i think but at 6'00, i know this as its me and my family, hope you enjoy the programe, if i can be of any help get in touch . debs ps prehaps i shouldnt of told you how we are getting on as it has spoilt the surprise of the show !!
Old May 17th 2004, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Hi, You are making a good choice it is a perfect location around here! The scenery and climate are to die for, from most suburbs you only have a 5min drive to the beach. Today it is 26c and almost winter - perfect.

Nambour is the biggest hospital on the Sunshine Coast though there are lots of other smaller hospitals around also. Caloundra itself has a couple of hospitals ( 1 private) as do most of the other towns ( Marrochydore, Noosa etc) A firend of mine is a nurse and she does agency work, she has to turn work away all the time. Being a nurse here is pretty flexible as she has a short term contract to suit what she wants!

In 20 mins you can drive a long way around here as there is not really a traffic issue, unless you go on the Nicklin Way at peak times which can be slow. We live in Caloundra and can get to the villages in the mountains at Maleny in 20 mins! which is about 30k away.

Maroochydore, Buderim, Mooloolabah, Bli Bli, Mountain Creek and surrounds would all be easy travelling distance for you. I don't think Nambour itself is a great area to live in, so I personally would choose to live a bit closer to the sea as the beaches are the meeting point out here and where everything goes on!

If you are looking for schools, Mountain Creek State High is very highly thought of, but you have to live in Mountain Creek itself as it has a zone catchment area due to its popularity.

Mooloolabah, Maroochydore Buderim are a bit busy for my liking that is why we chose further down south. But saying that there are quieter parts as well.

I hope your move goes smoothly and contact me if you want any more info.

I took the photo last weekend it is of the wreck at Dicky Beach
( Caloundra)
Attached Thumbnails Question for you Sunshine Coasters?-davidmiscoz-014.jpg  

Last edited by tinaj; May 17th 2004 at 1:35 am.
Old May 17th 2004, 2:27 am
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kulu

With regard to nursing, I think it depends on what area of nursing you are in and your availability. My wife is a nurse and she has found it very difficult to get work up here on the coast, We have met a lot of nurses who are in a similar situation.
Fortunately, she is now working at two medical centres, in Currimundi and Buderim. Also, If you have children, hospital shifts are definately not school hours.

Having said that, if you don't mind what you do, there is work around, especially in aged care. There are a lot of nursing homes up here and they are crying out for staff. Like anything, it takes a while to get established and make contacts - but it sure is worth it to be up on the sunny coast! Feel free to contact us if you need any help

Andy

Old May 17th 2004, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Best of luck, Jenny.
Thanks Jenny,

Good luck with the birth of your baby. I have 2 boys aged 2 and 4 and it is hard work but they are good friends now which makes life much easier as the younger one can join in with games and talk etc.

I work because I have to but I guess I would also probably get bored at home all the time, I don't know. I just feel like I'm missing them grow up, fortunately because I work shifts my husband and I share the childcare with a bit of help from my Mum and a lovely nursery nearby. Like you say the grass is always greener ...

Now we have had some time to get over the shock of my husband's redundancy we are quite pleased about it! He hadn't been happy at work for a while and was only sticking with it until we go to Oz. His redundancy package is the equivalent of 2 months wages so we have enough to keep us going while he decorates the house meaning we can get it on the market quicker. Also I am fortunate that there is plenty of extra work available at work on enhanced pay as it's extra so all in all we are probably better off.

I just want to get there now! We have friends in Coolum and Mudjimba and can't wait to join them!

Lou
Old May 17th 2004, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Best of luck, Jenny.
Thanks Jenny,

Good luck with the birth of your baby. I have 2 boys aged 2 and 4 and it is hard work but they are good friends now which makes life much easier as the younger one can join in with games and talk etc.

I work because I have to but I guess I would also probably get bored at home all the time, I don't know. I just feel like I'm missing them grow up, fortunately because I work shifts my husband and I share the childcare with a bit of help from my Mum and a lovely nursery nearby. Like you say the grass is always greener ...

Now we have had some time to get over the shock of my husband's redundancy we are quite pleased about it! He hadn't been happy at work for a while and was only sticking with it until we go to Oz. His redundancy package is the equivalent of 2 months wages so we have enough to keep us going while he decorates the house meaning we can get it on the market quicker. Also I am fortunate that there is plenty of extra work available at work on enhanced pay as it's extra so all in all we are probably better off.

I just want to get there now! We have friends in Coolum and Mudjimba and can't wait to join them!

Lou
Old May 17th 2004, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by debreeve
hi debs here , we moved to the sunny coast oct 2003, now in our own house and lovin it . we live in a place called mountain creek just 6 mins from beach, nr mooloolaba.

like somone eles mentioned about tv shows "get a new life " bbc 2 at 8'00 is on tue 18th may its all about the sunny coast, then more shows from the 24th for 4 nights i think but at 6'00, i know this as its me and my family, hope you enjoy the programe, if i can be of any help get in touch . debs ps prehaps i shouldnt of told you how we are getting on as it has spoilt the surprise of the show !!
We'll be watching, thanks!
Old May 17th 2004, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Tinaj

Thanks for all that, particularly the picture!

We will need a school for our 4 year old, he will be 6 next year so I believe he will start school in January(?) but we haven't looked into them at all yet. We've been concentrating on getting the visa and the house on the market really.

I work in A&E in the UK and whilst I would happily do anything in the short term just to be there, longer term I would be happier in an A&E department. Is Nambour the only hospital to have one? I have tried looking on the internet but the information I have found is a bit scanty! Obviously if it is then it will help us decide which areas to look at to live.

Lou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.