Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question for UK Sparkies in Oz

Question for UK Sparkies in Oz

Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:11 am
Just Joined

IanS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for UK Sparkies in Oz

Given the ludicrous prices of european kitchen appliances in oz is there any technical reason why I shouldnt bring new UK spec appliances with me in my house contents shipment? Even if I have to pay duty I will still be quids in.
Double oven, Induction hob, Dishwasher etc etc
Given they are all single phase 220v 50Hz presumably they will all work fine wont they?
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Question for UK Sparkies in Oz

Originally Posted by IanS
Given the ludicrous prices of european kitchen appliances in oz is there any technical reason why I shouldnt bring new UK spec appliances with me in my house contents shipment? Even if I have to pay duty I will still be quids in.
Given they are all single phase 220v 50Hz presumably they will all work fine wont they?
They will work just fine, just fit new plugs.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I would be careful about gas appliances....

As I have found out with my patio heater etc the pressure out of Australian regulators are different and does not suit UK stuff - OK so this is bottled gas, but our gas hob in the kitchen also appears to have a mains pressure reducer on the supply pipe, unlike the UK.

And if you are going to a rural area, you may not have mains gas.

Also, gas stuff in Oz has to be certified by the Australian Gas Assoc (AGA)...I heard some stories about people having problems at customs and that they would not let stuff in becuase it is not AGA certified.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by IanS
Yes you will be fine, some dvd player dont work , as some do.
And i would bring a dyson hover, expensive here. and quilts.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Wilga is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
I would be careful about gas appliances....

As I have found out with my patio heater etc the pressure out of Australian regulators are different and does not suit UK stuff - OK so this is bottled gas, but our gas hob in the kitchen also appears to have a mains pressure reducer on the supply pipe, unlike the UK.

And if you are going to a rural area, you may not have mains gas.

Also, gas stuff in Oz has to be certified by the Australian Gas Assoc (AGA)...I heard some stories about people having problems at customs and that they would not let stuff in becuase it is not AGA certified.
Hi,
The electrical stuff is fine, as said just change plugs. Gas as pointed out is another game altogether. The AGA certification is one very important issue. Being domestic usage it would come under classification A. For gas appliances the manufacturer needs to have had the design registered and approved over here....there are other aspects that need to be met as well. This then leads into insurance and liability issues. Bring your electrical things and anything else you can get through. Leave the gas ones back there are a lot of great options over here for those products.
Hope this helps.

Ken
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:58 am
Just Joined

IanS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your input. I am only planning to bring electrical equipment not gas so thats not a problem.

If you have ever used an Induction hob you will never want to cook on gas again! More controllable, progamable and infinitely easier to clean.

I have some AV equipment here already. the TV is fine with an Oz digibox but the Humax PVR is no good and Humax dont do a software upgrade so should have sold it back in UK. Oh well.