Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question on schools - Sydney

Question on schools - Sydney

Old Apr 29th 2013, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

lmas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on schools - Sydney

I know it is a common question however I am going to be sent to Sydney for 4 years this coming Sept and I am worried about schools. My children will be 14,12 and 9 they go to a very good private school in Edinburgh and I want to swap like for like. I have looked at Scots College and Knox for the boys as it will let them continue with like activities. I am not sure for my 9 year old daughter. These schools have waiting lists and I might not get them in until 2015 where can I send academically strong pupils who are also very sporty and musical? I am really stuck please help.

Last edited by lmas; Apr 29th 2013 at 1:06 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on schools

seeing as you're being sent out, ask yr company to engage a relocation agent for you to take away some of the stress. they should be able to look into schools for you. have you actually contacted the schools you mention above yet? Sometimes you are able to feed yr children in mid year.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Thanks I have contacted the two schools and they have waiting lists. I did not ask the relocation guys about schools just other stuff I will try.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been told St Catherine's School (girls school) in Sydney is worth looking at. We are not based in Sydney hence the vague answers on schools but relocation agents do cover all sorts of things, especially the good ones
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

found this as well: http://bettereducation.com.au/school...y_schools.aspx
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

If your sons are (or might be) at Knox then you won't want an Eastern suburbs school for your daughter. Conversely, if the boys are at Scots you won't want a North Shore school for her.

I'm not familiar with private North Shore schools for girls but good ones in the east are Kambala, Ascham, SCEGGS and St Catherines. My sons went to Scots but If I'd had daughters they would have gone to St Catherines.

Have you tried Reddam House? It's co-ed, not as old and established as the others (so might not have the long wait lists) but it does have a very good reputation locally.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NickyC
If your sons are (or might be) at Knox then you won't want an Eastern suburbs school for your daughter. Conversely, if the boys are at Scots you won't want a North Shore school for her.

I'm not familiar with private North Shore schools for girls but good ones in the east are Kambala, Ascham, SCEGGS and St Catherines. My sons went to Scots but If I'd had daughters they would have gone to St Catherines.

Have you tried Reddam House? It's co-ed, not as old and established as the others (so might not have the long wait lists) but it does have a very good reputation locally.
Someone at work mentioned West Pymble? What do you think Nicky?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Someone at work mentioned West Pymble? What do you think Nicky?
Do you mean Pymble Ladies College? I don't have any first-hand knowledge of it but it's a very posh, north shore school. I believe you can (or could once) bring your own pony and stable it there.

It wouldn't have suited us..
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Do you mean Pymble Ladies College? I don't have any first-hand knowledge of it but it's a very posh, north shore school. I believe you can (or could once) bring your own pony and stable it there.

It wouldn't have suited us..
My dad used to ride his horse to school

Definitely not posh

Paddock behind the school was used for student and teachers horses to graze.

Salt and pepper sandwiches without bread

I used to think my school was posh because we had 2 constables in the police station. Then found out it was not normal for a school to have a onsite police presence
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on schools - Sydney

Just added 'Sydney' to your heading. Hopefully will help more. Good luck.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
My dad used to ride his horse to school

Definitely not posh

Paddock behind the school was used for student and teachers horses to graze.

Salt and pepper sandwiches without bread

I used to think my school was posh because we had 2 constables in the police station. Then found out it was not normal for a school to have a onsite police presence
LOL!

I doubt the Pymble girls use their horses to ride to school - they might have a lot of space there but it's still in Sydney. The school offers 'Equestrian' as a sporting activity. I'm not sure what that means - probably pony club/gymkhana type activities.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

LOL!

I doubt the Pymble girls use their horses to ride to school - they might have a lot of space there but it's still in Sydney. The school offers 'Equestrian' as a sporting activity. I'm not sure what that means - probably pony club/gymkhana type activities.
Yes there are a few girls at my daughters school here in Melbourne that spend 6 months in Australia and 6 months in Europe following their parents on the polo set.

I did say to them they are in the FMCG market then. Dont think they got the joke.
Old May 1st 2013, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone I will look into this. The equestrian info is especially handy as my daughter does this at school now, I would guess most boys schools have fairly good Rugby teams? This is the big question from my boys. Is there any stigma attached to attending a Catholic school in Australia? It is not the best thing here in Scotland.
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:01 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Catholic schools are in abundance in Sydney, please keep saying Sydney not Australia otherwise you will get all sorts of responses which are of no value to you.
Yes, good rugby teams here so should have no problem finding one that suits.
Like a lot of places worldwide the Catholic Church is taking a hit but mostly the schools are unaffected here in Sydney...with just a couple of exceptions!
I'm assuming you will be coming over on a 457 Visa which is company sponsored, I did the same and our Relocation Agent did a lot of work for us and helped with accommodation, schools, local area knowledge etc. It was invaluable and all paid for by the company.
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the information that helps alot with the search. Yes we will be on a 457 visa and the company is helping with information.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.