Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A question of rust?

A question of rust?

Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:21 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default A question of rust?

And I DO mean RUST <g>.

There's been a bit of chat about the necessity of imported belongings being operating-theatre clean - but just how clean is clean?

I'm starting to clean up my DIY tools ready to pack. Some of them - and I'm not proud about it - have some rust: spanners and the like. I've cleaned it off as much as I can and gone the WD-40 route afterwards, but has anyone any first-hand experience of the acceptable levels?
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 8:49 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: A question of rust?

Originally posted by Rog Williams
And I DO mean RUST <g>.

There's been a bit of chat about the necessity of imported belongings being operating-theatre clean - but just how clean is clean?

I'm starting to clean up my DIY tools ready to pack. Some of them - and I'm not proud about it - have some rust: spanners and the like. I've cleaned it off as much as I can and gone the WD-40 route afterwards, but has anyone any first-hand experience of the acceptable levels?
There was a thread about rust recently, I think the gen was basically rust is a no no unless it is just surface rust in which case you should be able to get it of before sending
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=rust

Cheers
kala
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:16 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question of rust?

Originally posted by Rog Williams
And I DO mean RUST <g>.

I used a wire brush on my tools and the kiddies swings/slide and after the rust was off sprayed them with silver paint. Seemed to do the trick.

I'll never forget power jetting our bikes in the garden, it was freezing. I had to spray them then chip the ice off.
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We too washed,scrubbed all tools and painted them.

Whisky
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:15 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I can go to the extent of painting screwdrivers etc! So I guess I will do my best and hope it all passes.....
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:36 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

And what about the rust on our bicycles?

Anyway what is it with rust? It's iron oxide, what possible harm could there be in importing it?
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a plumber.
ALL MY TOOLS ARE RUSTY!!!!!

Whats all this fuss about rust anyway, its not like dog shit, whats the big deal? Its not as if I'm bringing in Ebola or something

I'll be using them till they day before they go, so they'll be as clean as I can get them. If they're not happy.....