Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question re salary

Question re salary

Old Dec 18th 2015, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re salary

Originally Posted by Beoz
How do you figure the commute time thing? My commute is 20 mins on a bad day.

How do you figure the lifestyle thing? The beach is free.
Well you are one of the lucky ones. I could never afford to live (in comfort) and work in a nearby location.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Well you are one of the lucky ones. I could never afford to live (in comfort) and work in a nearby location.
Maybe part of it is affordability or maybe its the willingness to spend. Personally I'd rather put a lot of money into location to maximise what you can get out of life. Doing that I can avoid the cost of 2 cars, lots of petrol, public transport fares, but most importantly I can save travel time, both business and pleasure.

You pay for what you get.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

...The point is the salaries are higher for most in Sydney (any stat you care to look up will tell you that its the highest paying city in Australia) which often will offset that housing cost.
From the figures I've seen the salary boost doesn't seem to come close to offsetting the housing cost...specially buying anywhere decent...
Old Dec 19th 2015, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
From the figures I've seen the salary boost doesn't seem to come close to offsetting the housing cost...specially buying anywhere decent...
Why is that? I couldn't help notice the average salary for a teacher in NSW is $68000 while in QLD its $58000. Would you be paying $10,000 more a year in rent....... maybe ..... but probably not. This is all subjective and dependant on what tickles your expenditure fancy. Would I live in Logan to save a few bucks or spend up and live by Sydney Harbour to enjoy its spoils? Well that's pretty obvious.

At the end of the day you never here the Sydneysiders on here complaining about the cost of Sydney. Its always those who live in Brisbane who complain about this apparent cost of Sydney.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day you never here the Sydneysiders on here complaining about the cost of Sydney. Its always those who live in Brisbane who complain about this apparent cost of Sydney.
Touche ! I guess that would be pretty much the same as saying
" At the end of the day you never hear many Queenslanders complaining how crap it is in Brisbane (other that Polly of course !) It's always those that live in other cities that seem to have that perception "!

Last edited by old.sparkles; Dec 20th 2015 at 4:11 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Dec 20th 2015, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Touche ! I guess that would be pretty much the same as saying
" At the end of the day you never hear many Queenslanders complaining how crap it is in Brisbane (other that Polly of course !) It's always those that live in other cities that seem to have that perception "!
Not really a touche Bob. I'm all for Brisbane having some good stuff. God knows I've explored it on my fleeting work visits, and asked the question numerous times on here. Usually the repsonse is "the weather" or "the beach is only an hour away"....... and if humidity and an hour drive to the coast float your boat that's great. I'm happy to explore the good stuff again though. It must be there somewhere. I do know Lang Park is the best stadium for watching football and rugby in Australia.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 4:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a touche Bob. I'm all for Brisbane having some good stuff. God knows I've explored it on my fleeting work visits, and asked the question numerous times on here. Usually the repsonse is "the weather" or "the beach is only an hour away"....... and if humidity and an hour drive to the coast float your boat that's great. I'm happy to explore the good stuff again though. It must be there somewhere. I do know Lang Park is the best stadium for watching football and rugby in Australia.
NIB is - especially now that it's getting internationals

Can't wait for the Bokke in 2017 (Arg next year)
Old Dec 20th 2015, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Wel if you ever find any good stuff please feel free to let me know Humidity doesn't really float my boat either mate but given the choice of 4 so called bad months up here as against 8 good months weather wise there's only gonna be one winner ! Had enough cold weather in Northern England for 40 + years . Can't believe I said I didn't like humidity as I write this in Brisbane departure lounge awaiting flight to Bali oh well out of the frying pan and into the fire as they say ! Lang park / Suncorp as you say is great for all sports indeed with great viewing,facilities and atmosphere as for Nib Stadium being the best I guess it would be in a one horse town way out west !
Old Dec 20th 2015, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest there are some things I love and some I hate (as there is with Sydney as well), but I'm not going to be bothered explaining them to you just for a pissing contest....you don't really seem the like the type who is out for a balanced discussion on the topic with all your rantings on it so why bother

You mentioned you haven't even reached as far as Caxton St in all your travels so you're obviously not going to have much of an opinion on any of the places discussed anyway...

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 20th 2015 at 9:12 am.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why is that? I couldn't help notice the average salary for a teacher in NSW is $68000 while in QLD its $58000. Would you be paying $10,000 more a year in rent....... maybe ..... but probably not. This is all subjective and dependant on what tickles your expenditure fancy.
"specially buying anywhere decent..."

The difference in houses prices for a similar position is enormous. $10,000 a year is nothing when houses cost so much more. People are often forced into housing far smaller than suits them and really long commutes...for some the sacrifice is worth it, for some not.

Would I live in Logan to save a few bucks or spend up and live by Sydney Harbour to enjoy its spoils? Well that's pretty obvious.
Well yes that is a pretty obvious if pointless point. That usually isn't the two choices people are deciding between though.

We often hear Sydney people complain about this in Brisbane. They move here. Industry here track the price differential and prepare themselves for the Sydney hordes moving when the difference is at a higher ebb (as it is at the moment). Doesn't make Brisbane super dooper fantistco just because of this...just a fact that high house prices do affect Sydney buyers...no brainer really.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 10:39 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Wel if you ever find any good stuff please feel free to let me know Humidity doesn't really float my boat either mate but given the choice of 4 so called bad months up here as against 8 good months weather wise there's only gonna be one winner ! Had enough cold weather in Northern England for 40 + years . Can't believe I said I didn't like humidity as I write this in Brisbane departure lounge awaiting flight to Bali oh well out of the frying pan and into the fire as they say ! Lang park / Suncorp as you say is great for all sports indeed with great viewing,facilities and atmosphere as for Nib Stadium being the best I guess it would be in a one horse town way out west !
NIB is better
Old Dec 20th 2015, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To be honest there are some things I love and some I hate (as there is with Sydney as well), but I'm not going to be bothered explaining them to you just for a pissing contest....you don't really seem the like the type who is out for a balanced discussion on the topic with all your rantings on it so why bother

You mentioned you haven't even reached as far as Caxton St in all your travels so you're obviously not going to have much of an opinion on any of the places discussed anyway...
Well this seems to be part of the problem. No one seems to be willing to explain the good things and usually write it off with a "I can't be bothered because you aren't interested in a balanced discussion". That's the easy route out and if you've read anything in the past you would know I'd be more than willing to discover the good, and it needs to come from locals like you.

I have no idea where Caxton St is and will happily admit I know little about Brisbane other than work trips, which is why I ask the question. I get to Brisbane about 6 times a year. Without the local knowledge how am I going to know where the good things are.

I'm out on the Boring Brisbane discussion unless you are willing pass on the local knowledge of the good, and Caxton St.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"specially buying anywhere decent..."

The difference in houses prices for a similar position is enormous. $10,000 a year is nothing when houses cost so much more. People are often forced into housing far smaller than suits them and really long commutes...for some the sacrifice is worth it, for some not.

Well yes that is a pretty obvious if pointless point. That usually isn't the two choices people are deciding between though.

We often hear Sydney people complain about this in Brisbane. They move here. Industry here track the price differential and prepare themselves for the Sydney hordes moving when the difference is at a higher ebb (as it is at the moment). Doesn't make Brisbane super dooper fantistco just because of this...just a fact that high house prices do affect Sydney buyers...no brainer really.
Just to clarify, I never said black and white, that the Sydney salary increase does make Sydney cheaper to live in, I said it can if you rent.

See post #43

But I do agree, if you are going out to commence a average mortgage on an average salary with a mediocre deposit, the annual repayment different is about $20,000 on a principle and interest loan.

But not everyone likes to buy houses in the backend of nowhere so again, Sydney is not expensive for everyone.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well this seems to be part of the problem. No one seems to be willing to explain the good things and usually write it off with a "I can't be bothered because you aren't interested in a balanced discussion". That's the easy route out and if you've read anything in the past you would know I'd be more than willing to discover the good, and it needs to come from locals like you.

I have no idea where Caxton St is and will happily admit I know little about Brisbane other than work trips, which is why I ask the question. I get to Brisbane about 6 times a year. Without the local knowledge how am I going to know where the good things are.

I'm out on the Boring Brisbane discussion unless you are willing pass on the local knowledge of the good, and Caxton St.
I like this balanced and reasonable Beoz a lot better. If you keep this up I'll give you "the" fish tour of inner Brisbane Of course I would expect it reciprocated, specially if you live somewhere near Paddington fiveways or somewhere like that !
Old Dec 21st 2015, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I like this balanced and reasonable Beoz a lot better. If you keep this up I'll give you "the" fish tour of inner Brisbane Of course I would expect it reciprocated, specially if you live somewhere near Paddington fiveways or somewhere like that !
I am generally balanced, especially about Brisbane. I want it to be the place to be, I really do. It would make my 6 visits per year much more enjoyable

Not sure the Paddington 5 ways is the place to be these days, if its for a booze up anyway. A bit like Kings Cross, things are shifting. Check out Double Bay on your next visit. That place on a Friday and Saturday is immense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.