Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question re the relatives left behind

Question re the relatives left behind

Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:19 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question re the relatives left behind

I know this is perhaps a bit of a silly question but it is one which is nagging at me.....

I am anticipating the saying goodbye to close family and friends to be worse than I can imagine and frankly with only a few weeks to go I am trying not to think about that moment because I start to blub.....but, once you've gone, and your there, and you get on the web cam and are able to speak to them, how do they seem generally (the relatives left behind I mean)??

If anyone understands what I am trying to get at and if they are perhaps able to shed a little light, that would be good .... I know it is perhaps different for everyone.

Shelley
Old Feb 28th 2006, 3:37 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question re the relatives left behind

Originally Posted by Shelley29
I know this is perhaps a bit of a silly question but it is one which is nagging at me.....

I am anticipating the saying goodbye to close family and friends to be worse than I can imagine and frankly with only a few weeks to go I am trying not to think about that moment because I start to blub.....but, once you've gone, and your there, and you get on the web cam and are able to speak to them, how do they seem generally (the relatives left behind I mean)??

If anyone understands what I am trying to get at and if they are perhaps able to shed a little light, that would be good .... I know it is perhaps different for everyone.

Shelley
Shelley

Dont think of it as a funeral - knock on wood neither you nor your relatives are passing away.

It is a joyous occasion - the odd tear should be passed in joy for your trip. Of course your relatives will be worried for you but so too if you were moving to another part of the country. You also will no doubt be worried about how some of your older relatives will cope with you gone. They will. Its like dropping the kids off at school or nursery on their first day. There is a lot of crying - but once you are out of sight they get on with day to day things.

The exciting thing about the web cam later is catching up on all the gossip - in a way I think it makes families closer. By this I mean distance makes you put more effort into listening and making time for each other.

On one hand they will say "we are really worried for you" but when talking to their friends it strangely becomes "oh yes my shelley is brave and very adventurous going out there. We are plannign to visit them once they get settled"

Dont know if my ranting is making sense or providing any comfort. My family are always apart travelling or living abroad. And no matter how many times we see each other off at the airport or dockside their is a sense of sadness but only for a moment because we will be back in touch soon with modern technology.

Good Luck (Bon Voyage)
Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Daka is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's my experience from living in the USA for 4 years.
I agree with the above about putting more effort in. We made videos to send back and sent regular photos etc. Some friends we kept in touch with but some we lost contact with as you find you have less in common over time.

With regards to family, of course they miss you but daily life goes on. Even in the UK we don't live close to our family and have found that we spent more quality time with people when they came to visit us for 2 weeks on holiday, as opposed to the odd weekend when we just get spend a few hours trying to visit everyone! Trips back to the UK tend to be frantic too as you try and visit everyone in a short time.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:13 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Shelley
After the airport tears last June both happy and sad ones (Happy to be going, sad to be leaving), both sides of the world seem to be fairing pretty well. Mother-in-law who turns 80 in April can't wait to visit us in June, Mum who is going through Chemo (diagnosed in October - that was hard not being there then) Will come out as soon as she is well enough to travel, sister comming as soon as funds allow. Regular phone calls, gift packages and emails are keeping us all going, if anything we all feel slightly closer being further apart if that makes sense!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

I'm in the same position, leave in 3 weeks. I'm anticipating a horrendous reaction from my mum so I've told her just to think of it as if we're going on holiday. To be honest, I've talked myself into thinking this way too, so that it might be a little easier on us all. Oh, and nobody is coming to the airport with us - don't think I could bear that. I want to start our journey to a new life with a big smile on my face .
TJ
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:17 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Question re the relatives left behind

Thanks guys. You all make a lot of sense and it has made me feel better. Its hard, at times, to stay positive when you know your family is feeling so miserable (even though in my case - I know they are trying so hard not to).
Thanks again.

Shelley x
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:31 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Shelley
The only difference I noticed, is my relatives forgot how to use a telephone (It costs so much to call you), and what an airport is for (It costs so much to visit, why not come back to UK on holiday?).