Reload this Page >

A question for IT professionals

A question for IT professionals

Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:09 am
dkk
Just Joined

dkk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question for IT professionals

I've decided to move to OZ. I work in Ireland for an IT company as Senior .NET Developer. Once over there how difficult would it be to find an IT job without any OZ references(only with Irish references)? Thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Oz-bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A question for IT professionals

Originally Posted by dkk
I've decided to move to OZ. I work in Ireland for an IT company as Senior .NET Developer. Once over there how difficult would it be to find an IT job without any OZ references(only with Irish references)? Thanks.
Where are you heading to? Lots of jobs in Sydney, in fact an employees market! I am an IT PM and got a job withing 2 weeks of arriving
Old Feb 9th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Your Irish references will be fine, and there is loads of work in Sydney at the moment, but they are very keen on who you know here (if you're from Dublin you'll probably find that quite familiar anyway!!!). OH - the one in IT - has taken a good, but not perfect, job thinking of it as his "starter job" to network and build up contacts.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 2:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dkk

Senior .Net Developer? You will probably be able to pick and choose between jobs no matter which city you are going to. You will have no worries at all.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 2:49 am
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by dkk
I've managed to get two jobs in the five months i've been here and neither of them gave two hoots where my experience was gained!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dkk
There is bit of 'You need to get runs on the board here first' so you may not get quite the exact job you want to start with .

Having said that if you got a good few years of experience under your belt finding a job will be rather easy I suspect [as long as you are working in a big city of course].
Old Feb 9th 2008, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

According to my OH you'll have no problem on the east coast (don't know about the rest). He also said you'd be desperately needed in Auckland!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

cool_archie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: A question for IT professionals

Hello,

Are the plenty of System/Network Admin jobs in AUS?
Sorry for posting in this thread, just didn't want to start a new one.

Regards,
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a c# developer and the market seems strong. We look for good skills, OO, good knowledge of the framework in the enterprise, not fly-by-night ASP.NET bods if that makes sense.

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
There is bit of 'You need to get runs on the board here first' so you may not get quite the exact job you want to start with .
This might not be the case in terms of getting a job, but I'd be fairly modest as an unknown entity at interview and when starting like Hoofie says.

Good comms skills might get you there too as many of our irecent interviewees have language issues.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:27 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you have demonstrable experience and good references you'll have no problems. I have been to a few MS events in Australia and it's been ripe with new and established companies looking for talent.

Last edited by bigAPE; Feb 9th 2008 at 9:30 am.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 12:59 pm
dkk
Just Joined

I wish to thank everyone for their replies, they are much appreciated.

I've been thinking of moving to Melbourne, or any place by the sea where there's more Sun and less rain than in Ireland.
Looking for a place with best balance of jobs opportunities and quality of living. Open to all suggestions.

Originally Posted by bigAPE
As long as you have demonstrable experience and good references you'll have no problems. I have been to a few MS events in Australia and it's been ripe with new and established companies looking for talent.
Is the MCPD: Enterprise Applications Developer cert helpful when it comes to job search over there.(With good few years of development experience, of course)

Originally Posted by gillysm
According to my OH you'll have no problem on the east coast (don't know about the rest). He also said you'd be desperately needed in Auckland!
Do you think I would have better chances in Auckland than in OZ?

Thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dkk
I'm also a senior .NET developer and I have found that if you are not looking for a job in the banking sector you don't need to worry too much about refrences. If however you want a job in banking then they do seem to like reference & criminal record checks. It doesn't matter that your references are in Ireland as long as the reference check agency can contact your referees. For the record I took a starter job when I got here 2 years ago and after 9 months moved to Macquarie and dobled my salary. I've since moved again for more money so I would agree that it's an employees market at the moment.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Hey dkk,

I'm orig from Kerry (tralee.... boy.. ), London for about 12 years, Developer and Lead BA/Tech in Investment Banking in London, came to Oz in 2001 (previously on a 457 in 96/97) , finally settled in SYD anyway blah blah blah......

Am a career contractor, so pm me if you want any advice or if you wish , ask the questions openly and I'm happy to share.

You should have no problem with .net experience, as isgraham says references will be checked (usually a phone call) , often though you wonder about the number of "cod-ologists" or BS artists in the current market, we're having huge trouble trying to find the right kind of people (contract) for a aviation related project (need strong BA with numerative/aviation.) partly because the agencies are woeful.

It is an employees market at the moment, and don't you dare "discount" your rate or salary, just because you want to clinch the deal, make your offer based on Euros convert it straight and ignore all those cost of living is cheaper clap trap, it's not, if anything Sydney is more expensive.

One thing I'll say up front, try and work directly for a client (unless you have previous solo experience) to get settled, then go contracting!!
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A question for IT professionals

Originally Posted by dkk
Do you think I would have better chances in Auckland than in OZ?

Thanks.

Not sure about chances, but salaries in New Zealand are about half those in Melbourne.

Buzzy
Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:47 pm
dkk
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Not sure about chances, but salaries in New Zealand are about half those in Melbourne.

Buzzy
I saw quite a few senior .net Auckland opportunities for around $100K. Are those really a half what you can get in Melbourne?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.