Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Question for Primary School Teachers

Question for Primary School Teachers

Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all
Default Question for Primary School Teachers

I have a question that I hope a Primary School teacher from the UK and/or Oz can answer:

I have a 5 year old son who left the UK in October last year. He'd just started primary school. He's now waiting to start primary school at the end of January 08 in Melbourne.

If we were to return to the UK around May 08, how far behind the UK would his level of maths, english etc be? Would he need to drop a year, or could we feasibly 'top up' his teaching at home so he could start the second year of primary in the UK?

Also, what would be good books to buy to supplement his Oz primary school so he could slot in?

Hope there's someone out there with the facts....Z
Old Dec 28th 2007, 4:31 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question for Primary School Teachers

Your son will have very few problems re-settling back into the UK education system in my opinion. The exception would obviously be if he had some sort of diagnosed learning disability which hinders his learning.

Within a classroom of 28 children (aged 6) I see a broad spectrum of abilities ranging from Foundation, to working towards achieving at Level 1 independently. Therefore, your son, when you return to the UK, will no doubt fall somewhere into that very broad spectrum which is anticipated in a learning environment.

Once you return, talk to his new teacher, show him any portfolios/work he has completed, she/he will know where he's at and will cater for his needs.

Don't worry about him at all. Kids are so resilient and tend to bounce back and slot into things more easily than us adults!
Old Dec 28th 2007, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice
Default Re: Question for Primary School Teachers

Have you thought about contacting the UK school he might go to, to see what topics they are covering?

Or maybe get someone in the UK to send you some of the Key Stage workbooks that they sell in places like WHSmith?

WithIce x